Thread: AC Comparisons: Goodman/Payne/Carrier/American Standard

Post Likes

AC Comparisons: Goodman/Payne/Carrier/American Standard

Hello all-

I need some advice/opinions on the Goodman, Payne, American Standard, and Carrier brand AC units. Which are better, reliable?

These units will be 13 seer and we can assume that they will be installed by a reputable installer/contractor.

I don't have any info on model type except for the Payne. But I believe they will be the on the lower end of the product chain. I do know the Payne will be a PA13 model.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    They are all fairly reliable units... depending on exactly which model you get. You're going to pay a premium for the American Standard. The carrier/payne will be the exact same thing. I'm sure there's some models that might have differences, but not sure which. I would just buy the Carrier or Payne I could find the best deal on. Goodman is not the too bad, but as long as the price is close I'd definitely go with the Carrier/Payne stuff.

Post Likes

Goodman AC's have changed a bit

I've noticed that the goodman ac's are not using the parker service valves anymore. I perfer the Parker valves over these generic valves only because alot of installers are not reading the instalation manual where it states that the valve is not to be open fully and that it is to be opened up to 1/8" from the top of the service valve. If the valve is opened fully the refrigerant will leak out past the teflon seals. As well I know goodman had some issues with their condenser fan motors that were made in China, I think they've gone back to a GE motor which is made in Mexico. Can anyone confirm this?

Post Likes
    Also with the Carrier/Payne stuff. You can check the decibel readings on those units to see if the more expensive Carrier is any quieter than the Payne having a different cabinet...

Post Likes
    the one thing about the payne is that the unit had dimensions of 31x31x44. plus 2-3 inches for the insulation pad and thats almost 4 ft high. this unit seems really large for my place which is a townhouse and will be installed on the front patio. the goodman, seems like a decent size, around 29x29x35. does anyone know if the goodman 10 yr limited warranty include the compressor?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by synned View Post
    Hello all-

I need some advice/opinions on the Goodman, Payne, American Standard, and Carrier brand AC units. Which are better, reliable?

These units will be 13 seer and we can assume that they will be installed by a reputable installer/contractor.
    I don't have any info on model type except for the Payne. But I believe they will be the on the lower end of the product chain. I do know the Payne will be a PA13 model.

Thanks.
    I got news for ya.....

If its not installed right, it could be designed by NASA and installed be Ferrari and its gonna be the biggest POS in the world.

My advice is simple. Start with the contractor. Find the best contractor around thats gonna treat you right. And go with the equipment they offer. Get the 10 yr extended warranty to cover parts and labor and get the semi-annual service agreement.

You can take the cheapest unit installed properly and it will outlast and outperform the top-of-the-line Macdaddy that was installed by Heat em Cheat em Fred.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    the install is the thing. a/s is made in texas including the compressor ,thats why its higher. i didn't hear about the goodman valves, but i haven't had any problems with them so far. i went on their factory tour in houston and i was impressed with the q.c.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Post Likes

Another Goodman bites the dust

Replaced another Goodman system this week. Only 5 years old. Took it right to the scrap yard. Customer frustrated by repeated repairs, flimsy vibrating cabinets making noises. Demanded it be replaced with a quality machine. They are quite happy with their new Trane system.

Repaired a factory leak on another last week at the compressor piping. Only 6 months old.

Post Likes

Cheap Chinese Motors

Just installed one last night, noticed that Goodman is still using the crapy chinese motos. They had a bad bunch of them 2 years ago. I still like the Lennox equpiment the most however is some is looking for cheap equipment, goodman is the way to go.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in