Smallish Package Units

I've been holding out on replacing a 1991 Eubanks 2 ton package unit, hoping that the SEER for package units would start to approach the 16 or 17 (or 18!) now available on split systems. But I can't wait any longer, so I asked 2 different contractors for their suggestions. (It's a side by side set up, and not feasible to re-duct for over under.)
    The "corporate contractor" quoted a 13 SEER 2 ton Carrier, and the "mom & pop shop" quoted a 13.5 SEER American Standard variable speed 2.5 ton. Prices are comparable, a little higher for the corporate franchise.
    I've heard some bad things about Carrier coils, but is it relevant package units?
    Located in South Florida, wet but not especially salty.
    Any thoughts or comments would be very much appreciated.

I would ask the mom and pop shop why they quoted a 2.5-ton unit. Sizing is important. Also, I'd favor the v/s blower in the A/S packaged unit. Ask the corporate franchise the quote a comparable v/s setup. If you're looking at high SEER equipment, then you probably want to be looking at Carrier's Infinity rooftop unit with Infinity control and A/S's upper-end dual-stage equipment.

Get a quote on a York Affinity package unit, 15 to 16.5 SEER.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Didn't know York makes a higher SEER package. I'll check it out.
    The cost difference between 2 and 2.5 tons for the Am Standard was less than $100. And the housing measurements are the same for all the newer, 2-3 ton Am Standard package untis. I figure the 2.5 ton unit, given it's variable speed, could be programmed not to short cycle. Am I wrong?

I live in South Florida also

Just installed a 3 ton Trane side by side TCK xr13m. Got a great price and a great install from AAA Modern Air. Check their website www.aaamodernair.com and give them a call for estimate. I looked around for about 3 weeks and drove myself crazy trying to find the "best". Now I sit back with thermostat at 78 and enjoy my AC, hardly hear it.

VS blowers don't prevent short cycling.

Proper size does that.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?