Mom's buying a new AC Unit -needs help

My recently widowed mom had a company came out to do a tune-up on her
    A/C using the SCE rebate program. To my surprise she ordered a new AC.
    The tech said the unit was drawing more amps than it should and was therefore costing her more money to run.

The unit the tech sold her was a Trane XB13 which I'm sure would be better than what she has. But...The entire HVAC unit she has is the original that came with the house which is 18 years old, and they are not replacing the heater on the inside of the house.

I know there is some type of coil in the heater that the blower blows through,
    so shouldn't this be replaced as well? I think the whole unit should be replaced. Can you gain that much efficiency by just replacing part of the unit?

You need to get a couple of more people out to look at this.Unless you have a relationship with this company now.

Put a stop on that transaction til you can get some more opinions. Too many prey on the elderly with phony diagnoses of bad units! Then the price for the new equipment is outrageous. The furnace may be fine but the indoor coil above/below/beside the furnace should be changed to match the outdoor unit.

No relationship at all, but she already signed a contract. So... if she has to
    get something I would like it to be correct. That's why I was asking about
    just putting in the Trane XB13 without upgrading anything else.

There's a 3 day right to cancel even if she signed a contract. Get the transaction stopped. Get a few other dealers who are recommended by friends to look over the situation. As I said, when changing an A/C system, the indoor coil should be changed to match the unit chosen for outside. If all they do is replace the outdoor unit, she may not even gain any energy savings.

I really feel this company likely is taking advantage of her.

We don't doubt the rebate program is a good thing.
    But, see what she has in writing.

Too many times an elderly person has been lead to believe that a new system will save more then it will.
    And many units that people were told the unit is on its last leg, are running fine 5 years later.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Call and STOP that contract,now,not later. Listen to us. B.L.is 100% right.A bunch of companies really rip older folks off. Cancel that contract .

I think it is called a user frux (at least that is how it is pronounced)
    3 days to cancel contract.
    I also would question the install of condensing unit only.
    Matched units achieve higher seer/eer ratings and achieve lower operating costs.
    Don't let her get taken on this.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

A 13 seer unit... Trane 13XB will not match up with 10 or 12 seer equipment unless the proper TXV can be installed. I would question a company who would attempt to change the condenser unit and not touch the indoor coil.

Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post
    I think it is called a user frux (at least that is how it is pronounced)
    3 days to cancel contract.
    I also would question the install of condensing unit only.
    Matched units achieve higher seer/eer ratings and achieve lower operating costs.
    Don't let her get taken on this.
    Here is an article that explains it pretty good.

http://www.oag.state.tx.us/agency/we...5contracts.pdf
    You can't fix stupid

A 13 seer unit... Trane 13XB will not match up with 10 or 12 seer equipment unless the proper TXV can be installed. I would question a company who would attempt to change the condenser unit and not touch the indoor coil.

As said before.....

Cancel the contract. She is being blindsided. Chances are her unit is running just fine. Its truely sad to see people taken advantage of.

CANCEL THE CONTRACT. And get a real tech out to service her system. one thats going to check the entire system and not just the amp draw. Chances are there is something causing high amp draw. Like maybe a worn out contactor. Difference of several thousand dollars.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by dbsy2k View Post
    No relationship at all, but she already signed a contract. So... if she has to
    get something I would like it to be correct. That's why I was asking about
    just putting in the Trane XB13 without upgrading anything else.

If the diagnosis was wrong then all the contract is good for is wiping your A**