Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Carrier Infinity install this week - preparation tips?

I live in Northern VA in a 3 story (2 above grade with walkout basement) 4000 square foot Cap Cod built in 1991.

My 1990 build serial number 3.5t Trane XL1200 heat pump's compressor died this month, but the 1990 build serial number 100K BTU Trane XL90 propane furnace works reasonable well on its 3rd blower motor.

I am replacing the whole setup with the following Carrier Infinity:
    Heat Pump - Model 25HNA648A, Nominal tonnage:4, 15.5SEER/8.9HPSF
    Furnace - 58MVC100-20, Output:variable up to 95K, 95%AFUE, Propane
    Coil - CNPVP4821ATA
    Air Filter - Standard
    Humidifier: Relocate existing AprilAire 700

I am pleased with the price and install is scheduled for this Friday. :::fingers crossed:::

Does this setup sound appropriate for my region and for a replacement of a competent albeit aged system?

Is there any more information I should be getting from the HVAC company prior to install?

Anything I can do to help the install go as smoothly as possible?

Are there post install items for this type of system that I should make sure the installer hits? i.e., settings that may be left at factory defaults, tests skipped so they can get the weekend started, optional equipment not installed, installation options that may improve user comfort, but are non standard?

The owner manuals on the Carrier site for the heat pump, furnace and Infinity control are *super* light, as in barely worth the bits to download them. Is this really what they expect the home owner to use as a information, diagnostic, maintenance guide nowadays?

Thanks for the great site, I have been reading everything hear about the Infinity and the other options offered by the other 4 contractors I got quotes from. I don't think I would have ever been able to make a decision without the information and helpful users here.

--Larry

Due to how easy it is to misdiagnose something. The manufacturers prefer if home owners don't try it themselves. So many don't include install and trouble shooting guides on line.
    No appiable test should ever be skipped, unless your looking for service issues later.

Get everything out of the work areas now.
    An offer of coffee, and or water is nice.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Was your ductwork determined to be in pretty good shape? You did mention that you went through 3 blower motors on the old furnace, so it's not a bad idea to have the ductwork looked at. You're looking at a nice system, and I'm glad you're getting the ATA coil (tin-plated copper, rather than standard copper coil ACA). No 4-5" media air filter?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Nice system.I'd get a media filter like mentioned above,to protect the new equipment.

If the old duct work was done right ,you are good to go,don't forget the 10% gratuity!!lol

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Due to how easy it is to misdiagnose something. The manufacturers prefer if home owners don't try it themselves. So many don't include install and trouble shooting guides on line.
    I can understand that to some extent, but there does not appear to be a real *operations* manual online that tells me how to actually make my system do what I want. Is this something that will be in hard copy at the hand off or do I just let the system off the leash and then come here when I want to change something?
    No appiable test should ever be skipped, unless your looking for service issues later.
    I have no reason to doubt the quality of the installer, but I do know that he tends to do commercial HVAC and had Friday scheduled for a job that won't take as long now. I'm just looking for things a man in a hurry to miss the Friday traffic and does not deal with these residential units day in and day out.
    Get everything out of the work areas now.
    An offer of coffee, and or water is nice.
    Both fine suggestions, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Was your ductwork determined to be in pretty good shape? You did mention that you went through 3 blower motors on the old furnace, so it's not a good idea to have the ductwork looked at.
    They did not note anything out of whack with the existing ducting (flexible round tubes to the registers, I have no idea what gets it there, but in the attic looks like maybe a 8"/10" square duct that runs from the center to the ends of the house) or the returns (1 top floor, 2 main floor (one each top/bottom by the thermostat). One contractor did suggest adding a return to the basement, but none of the others did, including the one I went with. I have no idea how that was determined or why only one mentioned it.
    You're looking at a nice system, and I'm glad you're getting the ATA coil (tin-plated copper, rather than standard copper coil ACA).
    I made certain of this fact based on the many threads here and specifically questioned Carriers reported issues with e-coil leaks.
    No 4-5" media air filter?
    I don't have carpeting, indoor pets or allergies, so I did not ask about any of the air cleaners listed on the Carrier site. The proposal just says "Air Filter: Standard" so I am guessing a normal furnace filter arrangement. Should I consider something else? I know the Trane Clean Effects (or whatever it was called) was a couple grand line item and I am not sure I am ready to push this solidly into 5 figures. Hopefully my price references are non specific enough, but I'll remove if not.

One thing I do not see listed is the Infinity control, but I assume you're getting it, right? This should be all the homeowner needs to get the system up to their preferences. Carrier does have an archive of technical documentation online (installation manuals, technical data, etc.), but the homeowner shouldn't need them, hence it not being openly listed on the website. You could ask the installers to leave any documentation behind (and in fact I think this is typical and customary).

Do you have supply registers in the basement? If so, then I would get at least one return in there to balance everything. Ample return air is necessary.

A media filter doesn't cost as much as an electronic air cleaner, so it's probably worth it to at least ask for an upgrade price. They provide better filtration when you run the fan at a low speed 24/7 and are usually changed only 1-2 times a year or so.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The operations manual that will assist you most, is for the Thermostat/User Interface/Controller.

The 4" media filter won't be much$$,and will save coil cleaning,and maintain the efficiency of the system.As long as there's room to add it not much money.

They should leave the install manuals with the system. They will have all the info you need.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Twilli says leave final payment on kitchen table
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

One thing I do not see listed is the Infinity control, but I assume you're getting it, right? This should be all the homeowner needs to get the system up to their preferences. Carrier does have an archive of technical documentation online (installation manuals, technical data, etc.), but the homeowner shouldn't need them, hence it not being openly listed on the website. You could ask the installers to leave any documentation behind (and in fact I think this is typical and customary).
    Yes, I am getting the Infinity control and am awaiting the updated proposal to include the specific model number (based on suggestions here to help ensure the customer, installer and sales people are all on the same page on install day).
    Do you have supply registers in the basement? If so, then I would get at least one return in there to balance everything. Ample return air is necessary.
    Yes. there are 4 registers mounted in the drop ceiling. The proposal does not mention any duct/return work other than To Be Performed:"New air flow enhanced supply/return duct fittings". Is the addition of a return something I should talk to the sales guy about or the installer on install day?
    A media filter doesn't cost as much as an electronic air cleaner, so it's probably worth it to at least ask for an upgrade price.
    Sounds worthy of asking at the very least. Is it the EZXCAB that you guys are referring to?

--Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    Yes, I am getting the Infinity control and am awaiting the updated proposal to include the specific model number (based on suggestions here to help ensure the customer, installer and sales people are all on the same page on install day). Yes. there are 4 registers mounted in the drop ceiling. The proposal does not mention any duct/return work other than To Be Performed:"New air flow enhanced supply/return duct fittings". Is the addition of a return something I should talk to the sales guy about or the installer on install day?Sounds worthy of asking at the very least. Is it the EZXCAB that you guys are referring to?

--Larry
    I would ask the sales person if he thinks adding a return to the basement since there are supply registers is a good idea. Personally, I think if there are supply registers there, it would be good to have a cold air return there. I like a return on each floor of the home that is conditioned, at the least. The EZXCAB should work. AprilAire and Honeywell also make them.

By the way, if it matters to you, your actual SEER would be 15.00 (ARI Ref. #1409538). The 5-ton coil would give you 15.50 SEER.

Was your ductwork determined to be in pretty good shape? You did mention that you went through 3 blower motors on the old furnace, so it's not a bad idea to have the ductwork looked at. You're looking at a nice system, and I'm glad you're getting the ATA coil (tin-plated copper, rather than standard copper coil ACA). No 4-5" media air filter?
    I agree, 3 blower motors seems like a lot, unless you ran the "fan-on" constantly like some do. 3 1/2 and 4 tons is a lot of air, I'd have them verify the ducts are sized right for this amount of air, as well as sufficient return air and return duct size too. I've seen a lot of installed units twice the size of duct systems.

I would have to guess it was something else taking out these motors....if the ductwork were that undersized....he would have gone through just as many compressors
    I need a new signature.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast