+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: huffing r22

Post Likes
    The code for locking caps typically says something like equipment accessible by the general public. So things like equipment on a roof or in someones back yard are not generally considered accessible by the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by doug1111 View Post
    Gunslinger - locking caps is that for new systems only or everything you work on? city limits have different rules than County- what was the main reason they made this code?

2. Likes doug1111 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    With the price of refrigerant it's a wonder the copper thieves haven't been stealing the juice too.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    With the price of refrigerant it's a wonder the copper thieves haven't been stealing the juice too.
    Probably would, but they are already going to get high off the copper theft sale money.

Post Likes
    Back in 1975 a good friend, huffed r22 one too many times. That was in New London, Ct. He was a good HVACR tech, just a dumb ass.

Post Likes
    Funny how the media works I was interviewed and was on TV after the tragedy. I never said brain dead cells. Theres a video but can't find it. 1 hour after interview my cousins from Brampton Canada called me saying it was on TV there

Girl, 12, Dies After Huffing Freon From A/C Unit
    “VICTORVILLE, Calif. (KTLA) — It’s called huffing or bagging — a trend among kids and teens looking for a quick high by inhaling a chemical called Freon.

The dangerous practice is being blamed in the death of a 12-year-old girl from Victorville.

Kristal Salcido lived with her grandmother and cousins. The seventh grader found easy access to Freon from the air conditioning units in their backyard.

Kristal inhaled the chemical, later passing out in her grandma’s bathroom.

She was pronounced brain-dead at a local hospital. Her family made the difficult choice to take her off life support four days later.

Her family says there were never warning signs of Kristal’s dangerous behavior.

Friends at Mesa Linda Middle School remember Kristal as kind, vivacious and popular.

Unfortunately, Kristal isn’t alone in participating in this dangerous trend.

According to inhalants.org — an anti-drug website — one in five students has inhaled a chemical to get high by the eighth grade.

The consequences can be brain liver or heart damage and even death, as in Kristal’s case.

Ron Postoian and his sons own an air conditioning company.

Ron says he’s serviced plenty of units where the Freon had suspiciously been used up.

“When you inhale it, it kills your brain cells — that’s all,” Postoian explained.

He says something as simple as installing safety lock caps can prevent access to freon.

Post Likes
    Meanwhile, most common refrigerants are nontoxic anyways. The huffers die from asphyxiation. In fact the allergy inhalers still use CFCs, but are being forced to get rid of them by the Montreal protocol. The manufacturers aren't sure what to replace the CFCs with, and the allergy sufferers are being told that they may have to go without.
    EDIT: they do have a replacement called HFA, but users are reporting a bad taste and generally don't like it as much.

Post Likes
    That would have to be pot. I can't imagine there are that many kids huffing aerosols.

Quote Originally Posted by Roncool View Post
    Funny how the media works I was interviewed and was on TV after the tragedy. I never said brain dead cells. Theres a video but can't find it. 1 hour after interview my cousins from Brampton Canada called me saying it was on TV there

“VICTORVILLE, Calif. (KTLA) — It’s called huffing or bagging — a trend among kids and teens looking for a quick high by inhaling a chemical called Freon.

The dangerous practice is being blamed in the death of a 12-year-old girl from Victorville.

Kristal Salcido lived with her grandmother and cousins. The seventh grader found easy access to Freon from the air conditioning units in their backyard.

She was pronounced brain-dead at a local hospital. Her family made the difficult choice to take her off life support four days later.

Friends at Mesa Linda Middle School remember Kristal as kind, vivacious and popular.

According to inhalants.org — an anti-drug website — one in five students has inhaled a chemical to get high by the eighth grade.

The consequences can be brain liver or heart damage and even death, as in Kristal’s case.

Ron says he’s serviced plenty of units where the Freon had suspiciously been used up.

“When you inhale it, it kills your brain cells — that’s all,” Postoian explained.

He says something as simple as installing safety lock caps can prevent access to freon.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Roncool View Post

Darwin award nominee right there.

You want a 30 second high? Do whippets like a normal kid.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Yeah; only the oceans.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    A plastic bag is even cheaper, achieves the same effect, and at least it doesn't damage the ozone layer.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in