Thread: AC blasting since 6AM, at 1PM 78F inside 80F outside, normal??

Post Likes

AC blasting since 6AM, at 1PM 78F inside 80F outside, normal??

Hi,
    Hoping someone can give me an idea if this is due to lackluster insulation or if something may be wrong with AC.

The AC system is an American Standard 3-ton 14-seer (i think 80or85btu two stage furnace). The AC was turned on at at 6 or 6:30am and set to 68F so that it would run continuously and it did but at 1PM it was 78F inside and 80F outside. The best i've seen in the difference between outside/inside is about 4 Degrees, although when its on the humidity does seem to go down considerably compared to outside (50% humidity outside).

Yesterday, turned on AC at 5:30AM, at 2:20PM outside was 84F and inside was 80F. I then turned OFF the ACandFan and at 5:30pm it was 90F inside and 88F outside (no ac). I turned on AC at 5:30pm and at 6:30pm it was 87F inside and 86F outside.

So my question is can something be wrong with the AC if after running from about 6AM continuously it was only TWO degrees cooler in the house than outside by 1PM? OR can this all be blamed on not so great insulation in my attic? (I do plan to improve the insulation, thicker layer etc... in the attic and add a gable-Fan for the attic...)
    any info appreciated, thanks
    dan

Post Likes
    u got a prob get a pro. sounds like freon has left your system. find the leak or replace. Todays freon isnt cheap

Post Likes
    insulation does play a role in it. I would have a tech out their asap. Sounds like it could possibly be low on charge, but again you need to have a tech look at it.
    Sink or Swim!
    A Man has to know his limitations..
    To be old and wise, one must be young and dumb..

Post Likes
    It's broke.

Post Likes
    We'd really need more information... of primary benefit would be the temperature in the morning each day BEFORE you turned on the AC. Your statement "The AC was turned on at at 6 or 6:30am and set to 68F so that it would run continuously and it did but at 1PM it was 78F inside and 80F outside." doesn't help if we don't know what the indoor temperature was in the morning when it was turned on. If the indoor temp was 80F when it was turned on (meaning the temp only dropped 2 degrees) that indicates a problem with the unit... but if the indoor temp was say 90F (meaning the temp had dropped 12 degrees) in the morning then perhaps you shouldn't turn the AC off at night but instead should just set the temperature back.

Also, I assume from your statements the AC is located in the attic... this is not unusual but if the attic is poorly ventilated it can increase the load on the unit and therefore decrease its cooling ability. What is the temperature in the attic during mid-day? What is the temperature outside at the same time?

Post Likes

thanks

wow, that was quick, thanks for the prompt replies. I'm glad the consensus is that I should be able to expect better performance! (forgot to mention previously house is about 1250 sqft. )

Now if something is wrong with it, and I'll definitely be getting a pro to work on it, can you tell me approximately what kind of temperature difference I can expect? and how much could it potentially improve if I add 1600cfm gable fan (14 or 15 inch) and more insulation to the attic? (ie want to see if worth the money/effort for extra insulation...but i guess should save money by it needing to run less to achieve same temp...right now i've been running it practically continuously so for now I think i'm just going to use the FAN only until i have a PRO look at it....don't want to waste extra energy for nothing....)
    dan

Post Likes
    3 ton and 1250 square feet.

Where is this house located?

Post Likes
    Hi,
    Sorry I didn't clarify, no it is not an ATTIC unit, it's in a closet etc, the refrigerant line travels through the attic and down the side of the house outside...the air force coming out is decent, when I have the AC on it seems to get a little stronger than when I just have FAN on (perhaps that's why it feels a little cooler...)

I know it was 70F or maybe even 68F OUTSIDE early in the morning at 6am or 6:30am and in the house I know it was NOT more than 70F, it may have been 69F can't recall exactly....it climbed steadily both outside and inside, it was 75F for quite a while, then at 1pm it was 78F inside and 80F outside.
    Sorry but I don't have any attic temperatures...

Quote Originally Posted by platchford View Post
    We'd really need more information... of primary benefit would be the temperature in the morning each day BEFORE you turned on the AC. Your statement "The AC was turned on at at 6 or 6:30am and set to 68F so that it would run continuously and it did but at 1PM it was 78F inside and 80F outside." doesn't help if we don't know what the indoor temperature was in the morning when it was turned on. If the indoor temp was 80F when it was turned on (meaning the temp only dropped 2 degrees) that indicates a problem with the unit... but if the indoor temp was say 90F (meaning the temp had dropped 12 degrees) in the morning then perhaps you shouldn't turn the AC off at night but instead should just set the temperature back.

Also, I assume from your statements the AC is located in the attic... this is not unusual but if the attic is poorly ventilated it can increase the load on the unit and therefore decrease its cooling ability. What is the temperature in the attic during mid-day? What is the temperature outside at the same time?

Post Likes
    Not normal. Either low on freon or see if your attic is nice and cool. Either way you need professional help.

Post Likes
    Its in California, OC-LA area, 2miles or so from the beach

Quote Originally Posted by sparksandfan View Post
    3 ton and 1250 square feet.

Where is this house located?

Post Likes
    as said before

Its broke dude.

Get it serviced.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan5-o View Post
    Hi,
    Sorry I didn't clarify, no it is not an ATTIC unit, it's in a closet etc, the refrigerant line travels through the attic and down the side of the house outside...the air force coming out is decent, when I have the AC on it seems to get a little stronger than when I just have FAN on (perhaps that's why it feels a little cooler...)

I know it was 70F or maybe even 68F OUTSIDE early in the morning at 6am or 6:30am and in the house I know it was NOT more than 70F, it may have been 69F can't recall exactly....it climbed steadily both outside and inside, it was 75F for quite a while, then at 1pm it was 78F inside and 80F outside.
    Sorry but I don't have any attic temperatures...
    Don't worry about the attic temperatures if the unit itself is not located there... the location was a misunderstanding. On the topic of whats wrong... you need to have a tech come out and take a look. It could be one of many things and depending on what it is it could be an easy fix or not.

Post Likes

temperature differential

Place or hang a thermometer at the return grill for a few minutes while the unit is running...and note the temperature. Then place it on a supply register for a few minutes and note the temperature. Ideally the supply should be at least 12 to 15 degrees cooler, while some higher efficiency units will easily achieve 20 degrees. Start there

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in