Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ducane 14 seer or carrier Performance Series

hi I just joint this forum...my house is installing a central air system now, the original ideal is to install Ducane 14 seer AC but the sound rating is 80 DBA so we decided to switch to Carrier Performance Series but the contractor was asked for more $$$$ for the parts .. is it reasonable???? can anyone give me some ideal because the contractor will me here the coming Tuesday to finish the job.... thanks in advance
    Last edited by bestbuy; 06-22-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Sorry, pricing is against forum rules. Please edit it out.

With that said. Carrier is a much higher priced line.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

You're comparing two different products. The Carrier is a higher-grade unit. We can't discuss pricing here, but do expect a price difference for a premium product. What are the model numbers? I would go with the Carrier FV4B Performance variable-speed air handler.

thanks for the reply .. I'm in Los angeles equipments we decided to instal are York 90% gas furnace, coil and Ducane 14 seer 5T out door unit...is this a good mix???

Why not a York air conditioner and coil? Just wondering. If sized and installed properly, the Ducane should cool fine, but of course it's a lower-grade product (louder, cheaper, etc...).

If your using the York coil, no.

Don't mix match ID coil and OD unit.

Why not a York A/C.
    Contractor locator map

actually I haven't get coil's brand name yet but I think it should matched with out door ac unit ....... this is what I heard Ducane is better than York compare to the reliability??? is it true ??? one more thing is my contractor only install AC used R-22.. he told me that R22 is more reliable..?

Ducane is not more reliable then York.

R22 systems are not better or more reliable the R410A systems.
    Ask him what he's going to do when they don't make R22 systems anymore.

Your contractor may not know how to work on R410A systems, or want to worko n them. So I wouldn't try to force them to put one in.
    Contractor locator map

GO with YORK... my friend and I installed 28 ducane units and had at least one problem, not installation related with 22 of the units. Most of these were package units. We no longer carry Ducane as an inexpensive alternative. Also units with R-22 are X dollars cheaper than units that come with 410a. I prefer the York or Carrier over the Ducane

it seems most ppl. choice York over Ducane ... I will ask contractor to quote York LX serious .. BTW is the Yrok LX 14.5 seer cost alot more than Ducane 14 seer??

That will depend on your definition of a lot.

No pricing questions allowed on this forum.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by bestbuy View Post
    actually I haven't get coil's brand name yet but I think it should matched with out door ac unit ....... this is what I heard Ducane is better than York compare to the reliability??? is it true ??? one more thing is my contractor only install AC used R-22.. he told me that R22 is more reliable..?
    I used to work for Carrier writing software testing HVAC equipment, and the ID and OD coils are designed to match. That's the only way the manufacturers come up with SEER/HSPF rating. It might be possible to mix and match but you'd need to contact the manufacturer for that, but you can be sure they'll only recommend one of their own ID coils.

I don't think anyone can give you a warm and fuzzy about specific reliability numbers. At Carrier we used to run our units for 1000 hours of operation to get reliability numbers, but I bet you'll neither get that type of insider information from all the manufacturers, nor will you trust it.

BTW, I have an 18 year old 12 SEER/8 HSPF York HP that is still working. The tech from a local HVAC company I prefer has worked on gobs of them and he says they *made* a very good HP. I don't know about now.

Regardless of the reliability, R-22 is being phased out by law starting Jan 1 2010, just like the early 90s for cars. That means it will gradually get more and more expensive to service your unit. Because of that fact alone I wouldn't even think of going with R-22.

I think its time for you to get some more quotes. Tell them you want to consider Puron or R-410A systems. The only caveat I will offer is if you plan to replace the system or sell the house soon maybe a newer system is just throwing away money.

I wish I can get more quotes... the contractor already installed all vents scheduled installing furance by tomorrow... he keeps telling me that Ducane 13 seer is very reliable ......hope that is true!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast