Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pull back to 2.5 Ton and be OK?

Since our house was constructed in '93. We've added large shade trees on west side, tinted all windows and added screening and WILL add more insulation to attic (perhaps bring up to R-49)

Presently, we have a builder-grade 3T Armstrong 10 SEER. With improvements made/will be made-could we go down to a 2 1/2 T unit and still keep the house as nice as our present 3T does? The only time the Armstrong has struggled to cool was during the month of hell in August of 2000.

One caveat that may interfere with this best laid plan is that we're seriously looking at an Amana 18 SEER ASZ18 and AEPF Air Handler for upgrade next spring. Thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated over these next 9-10 months as we move forward in the costly but needed endeavor
    thanx yet again.
    Rom

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    You probably could ,buthave a load calc done!

I see all new homes in Arizona having a 400 sq. ft. per ton set up. Older homes are closer to 450-500 so I'm sure it would be fine. One thing to look at is the fact that the 3 ton unit might actually have a higher seer rating than the smaller unit. Just because a unit says 19 seer it might not be... With a two stage unit you'll be running on the low speed a lot anyway if you're house is well insulated. I would stick with the 3 ton unless I only had 1000 sq. ft., but you'll have to look into those details about the exact seer rating of the units in question.

Quote Originally Posted by dj3901783 View Post
    I see all new homes in Arizona having a 400 sq. ft. per ton set up. Older homes are closer to 450-500 so I'm sure it would be fine. One thing to look at is the fact that the 3 ton unit might actually have a higher seer rating than the smaller unit. Just because a unit says 19 seer it might not be... With a two stage unit you'll be running on the low speed a lot anyway if you're house is well insulated. I would stick with the 3 ton unless I only had 1000 sq. ft., but you'll have to look into those details about the exact seer rating of the units in question.
    How in the "he" double hockey sticks can you even make a statement like that? Are you in this industry? Do you KNOW what calculations you must do to properly......figure the size of equipment needed, the kind of equipment needed, or the proper duct size needed, or even why they are important?
    I have one for you. I just bid a home, in Key Largo Florida. 1500 square feet. It comes to 2 tons.
    Another home in West Palm Beach, 1200 square feet, needed 3 tons....
    Now, how is your "rule of thumb" work here??

Jees............

To the original question. Dash is right. Find someone that does a proper load calculation for you. It's the ONLY way to tell for sure.

LOL, I was trying to see where he lived, I'm guessing he doesnt have a custom home with concrete walls or something crazy like hay insulation. Just giving him an example. Also with a 3 ton having let's say 1200 cfm can't be thrown all out of whack by reducing to 1000 cfm can it? Maybe I'm crazy or I just havent had the experience yet...

Quote Originally Posted by arpa View Post
    How in the "he" double hockey sticks can you even make a statement like that? Are you in this industry? Do you KNOW what calculations you must do to properly......figure the size of equipment needed, the kind of equipment needed, or the proper duct size needed, or even why they are important?
    I have one for you. I just bid a home, in Key Largo Florida. 1500 square feet. It comes to 2 tons.
    Another home in West Palm Beach, 1200 square feet, needed 3 tons....
    Now, how is your "rule of thumb" work here??

Jees............

To the original question. Dash is right. Find someone that does a proper load calculation for you. It's the ONLY way to tell for sure.

He must have a Telescoping thumb

HEY APRA: What were the main architectural dieeferences between the two homes you just mentioned?

So the new homes hey're building in Arizona have less insulation then the older homes?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Ask a Vulcan. His logical will tell you to get a load calc done.

Live long and prosper.
    Contractor locator map

Man, you have got to change your screen name or you're gonna get hammered.

Pick something sexy like VulcanNymph or something.

Bring back "Enterprise".

Heh you're prolly right.

But when I first posted, I wasn't thinkin' too much. CO filling house, yellow flames inside furnace, Star Trek was on TV-just got it out of the blue.

This board's been nothin' but good help to me.

Could be worse.
    You could have picked Klingonturd.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Could be worse.
    You could have picked Klingonturd.
    look out Been, last time I kidded him he launched Photon Torpedos at me

I'm raising my sheilds. LOL
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast