Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old air handler / new compressor. Won't cool?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    you need to find a good HVAC contractor in your area

then be specific about how cool you want your house on the hottest day

your specific needs may require a 2 stage system that is oversized for "normal" conditions

I have had three companies come out and all three were mediocre at best. Hell the last guy that came out seemed like he was high or something. He just could not focus.

If anyone can rec. a good company in the Phoenix area I would appreciate it.

The only problem I have right now in regard to buying a whole new system is cost. Hence why I am hoping something can be done with the current one to help the situation.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    Find out what refrigerant the system uses.

Read this: http://www.eurocooling.com/articler410a.htm

Thanks for the link. What I gather from that article is 1, if they used R410A that the older air handler might not use that refrigerant as well, and 2 that R410A does not work as well as R22 when outside, ambient temps rise. Would these observations be correct?

Post Likes
    They are both pretty equal to about 110*.....after that the fall off of R-22 compared to R410 is more dramatic......it's just something that needs to be considered for total capacity in areas where design temps are so high. I wish I had a standard version of *F but if you do the conversion you will see the exact numbers.

Yes basically you have it right. That's why I was curious about what refrigerant was being used or is in the new equipment.

So both refrigerants fall off R410a falls off slightly faster.....in more mild climate they general work close to the same with the 410a have a slightly higher refrigerant capacity.

Post Likes
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he used a 410 unit on a 22 air handler, it's not going to work right.....ever. You can't use 410 with a piston type coil if that's what's in there, if it is a TXV, it's designed for 22 not 410 and will probably choke the system down. Also if it's one of the old carrier air handlers with the all-aluminum evaporator coils, it will probably spring a leak quickly....Then again nobody could be that nuts and replace a 22 unit with a 410 and leave everything else, or could they?

Post Likes
    Talking to my neighbor these last few weeks. He works for Carrier and is upgrading his 10 SEER A/C to a Carrier 16 SEER HP, and I offered to help. While he bought his equipment at an unbelievable price, we were lamenting the high cost of copper because it would be really nice to reuse his tubing.

According to him R-22 and R-410A refrigerants are not compatible so it is just safer to change out everything. He said you can flush the lines and then perform a test to determine if you've removed all the old, but that's usually only cost effective for commercial applications.

From what I gather if you're changing to R-410A you need to change the unit, ID coil, lines and maybe the air handler and fan depending on the system.

He also mentioned what you've all discussed here that R-410A is best used in moderate climates - whatever that means exactly.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dac122 View Post

According to him R-22 and R-410A refrigerants are not compatible so it is just safer to change out everything. He said you can flush the lines and then perform a test to determine if you've removed all the old, but that's usually only cost effective for commercial applications.
    He hasn't been to a Carrier class on R410A then.

Its not the refrigerant compatibility, its the oil compatibility that could cause a problem.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    He hasn't been to a Carrier class on R410A then.

Its not the refrigerant compatibility, its the oil compatibility that could cause a problem.
    Thanks for the correction. I should have made that finer point.

Yes, the mineral oil in R-22 is not compatible. After a flush you would be testing for the presence of mineral oil.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jjgrosso View Post
    I have had three companies come out and all three were mediocre at best. Hell the last guy that came out seemed like he was high or something. He just could not focus.

If anyone can rec. a good company in the Phoenix area I would appreciate it.

The only problem I have right now in regard to buying a whole new system is cost. Hence why I am hoping something can be done with the current one to help the situation.

you want the best of both worlds don't you.
    You want to be comfortable but don't want to spend the money to be comfortable.
    I'd say the mismatch cheapo solution you used before is the problem

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dac122 View Post
    Thanks for the correction. I should have made that finer point.

Yes, the mineral oil in R-22 is not compatible. After a flush you would be testing for the presence of mineral oil.
    You don't have to do that either.

POE oli has been used in refrigeration long before it was used in A/C.
    The same end of the world if the oil is mixed saying was going around.
    Turned out, its not completely true.

A small amount of MO can be mixed with POE, no harm done.
    Intentionally letting MO in the system will give you troubles. MO doesn't mix well with R410A. So it doesn't travel with it like oil should.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by m-cooling View Post
    [/U][/B]

you want the best of both worlds don't you.
    You want to be comfortable but don't want to spend the money to be comfortable.
    I'd say the mismatch cheapo solution you used before is the problem

Yes I do and your attitude is not necessary. I never said I dont WANT to spend the money. I said I DONT HAVE the money to spend and I was simply asking if there were any possible solutions that could better the situation without requiring the complete replacement of the entire system at a cost of $5-7k.

Basically as I have asked before is, if I replace the old air handler with a similar SEER rated and same brand unit as the compressor unit would it make any difference? A new air handler is a hell of a lot cheaper than a whole new system. I asked this question in hopes to get a straight forward answer from a group of individuals who know what the heck they are talking about as opposed to the lackeys I have dealt with from local HVAC companies here in Phoenix.

Yes I know if I replace the entire system with a 2.5 ton 19UL Trane model that my house will be colder than a penguins butt on a winter day. However I just do not have the money to implement such a solution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in