Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tridium: Vykon Vs. EasyIO

Does anybody have any input on the differences between the Vykon and EasyIO brand. Looking to replace about 25 circa 1990 sites with a tridium device and would prefer to not replace with JC or Honeywell. Any & all comments welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by lnewcombe View Post
    Does anybody have any input on the differences between the Vykon and EasyIO brand. Looking to replace about 25 circa 1990 sites with a tridium device and would prefer to not replace with JC or Honeywell. Any & all comments welcomed.
    My recommendation is go for Loytec IP controllers. They have HTML5 graphics.
    http://www.loytec.com/products/liob-controllers
    Think of each individual controller as a JACE, but without the requirement for JAVA, licensing or charges for configuration tools and firmware updates.

Something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Quote Originally Posted by lnewcombe View Post
    tridium device and would prefer to not replace with JC or Honeywell
    Quote Originally Posted by 381engineer View Post
    Loytec IP controllers.
    So does Loytec have drivers now for N2 and Cbus?
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

I've met the Easy I/O people and they are very knowledgeable and passionate about their product. I use JCI branded JACE's due to my supply chain and have no complaints. If you are integrating old field controllers it's probably a good idea to look at what drivers you will be needing and possibly purchase a product that has the needed driver included, N2 from JCI for instance comes standard with a JCI JACE. Also keep in mind that you don't need to use Honeywell or JCI for service and installation of their product as there are many contractors who sell and service these lines. I've worked with many different systems over the years and spent countless hours and dollars on non-supported, proprietary, single supply channel systems. Whatever you choose to go with make sure there is future support and multiple channels of equipment sales and service. This leaves you open to replace your contractor if they aren't meeting your needs and hopefully keeps them working for your business.

I am assuming you are referring to JACE products. There is no difference between Vykon and Easy IO Jace devices except for branding. Not sure of Easy IO is open licensed out of the box or if an additional license option is required to be purchased. With added drivers they will do the same thing and the same accessories are available. As far as field controllers, Easy IO has unitary and VAV controllers, some of which just received BTL listings but no LON devices that I am aware of. Vykon had field devices at one time, nothing more than rebranded Honeywell Spyders, not sure if they still do or if they were ever available in the US.

Just my 2 cents. I think if you have access to one of the Vykon distributors this would be my first choice for AX support. ( I personal only have access to Jaces thru Lynxspring or Distech )Some are alot better then others. The closer you are up the food channel I think the the AX support improves. I recently attended a Vykon Pro AX class that James Johnson offered and realized there is a completely different level and quality of learning opportunity and a valued customer resources availabilty thru the Vykon channel,unfortunately for us the local Vykon Dealer is not really a distributor but a direct installation competitor.We might need to look out of state .As far as EasyIO it's DDC product is one of the best IP (Bacnet, Modbus and Sedona products that I have ever worked with ( Constantly improving at no cost to me).The Tech support directly from them has been great! I have not used there Niagara devices ( I believe they are licensed fully open )but the FG series and 30p series have been great to work with. The FG series have Html 5 graphics , email alarm notification , weather service , SQL light data base , BACnet server and BACnet cilent abilites , onboard MSTP bus for either BACnet MSTP or Modbus RTU capabilities ( up to 30 devices and the ability to utilize on board SD card storage for up to 16 gigs (Graphics and Data) .Rumor has it it that soon the Belimo communication protocol will be available too. If you want a Mini Jace on steriods which you can program with either your AX workbench the free CPT software or other 3thd party sedona programming software then you should look in to this option. Distech AX support is good. Distech GFX support is better. Lynxspring tech support is very middle of the road. I have found its better to step up the ladder and contact there product suppliers directly if you don't want to be left on the Job site hanging.

I second debug69's comment about the level of support from the Vykon channel being really good. At the Tridium summit the Easy I/O people were constantly saying the FG series was not designed to replace a Jace, but with HTML5, sql database, and bacnet/modbus drivers built-in that is exactly what it is doing. Easy I/O was not the only company at the show with a product that could replace a Jace.

If you think you'll ever be working with Honeywell spyders, you might want to consider using Vykon at the jace level.

I think EasyIO makes some really functional field controllers (FG series).

I haven't personally looked into the Loytec line, but they sound more and more interesting every time I hear about them.

All of the advice is much appreciated.

Leaning toward Vykon as a choice where possible. Currently we are concerned with only replacing the existing systems with one maybe two JACE units where primary control is the boiler plant. Have not considered a field bus controller selection, but feel the JACE option provides many opportunities for that in the future.

For the past ~15 years our 30 year business we have primarily been managing existing installations for our clients and have gotten away from the design of new/upgraded installations. Making connections with distribution firms and obtaining support appears to be a significant hurdle for our future. With public school clients- work needs to be publicly bid and while we can specify "JACE" compliance, we will not be able to choose the brand in the end since award goes to low bidder.

Sooo- anybody have advice on how to write a project specification that winds up with Vykon over JC or Distech?

Again- thank you all for the insight and additional references.

Not sure why you would bother much. A vykon jace is the same as disctech or any other for the most part. Just make sure they don't lock down the license with something simple in the spec like:

All Tridium based products shall contain the following in their licenses:

<feature name="brand" accept.station.in="*" accept.station.out="*" accept.wb.out="*" accept.wb.in="*"/>
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    Just make sure they don't lock down the license with something simple in the spec like:All Tridium based products shall contain the following in their licenses:

<feature name="brand" accept.station.in="*" accept.station.out="*" accept.wb.out="*" accept.wb.in="*"/>
    GREAT ADVICE. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jbeckham View Post
    If you think you'll ever be working with Honeywell spyders, you might want to consider using Vykon at the jace level.

I think EasyIO makes some really functional field controllers (FG series).

I haven't personally looked into the Loytec line, but they sound more and more interesting every time I hear about them.
    The Loytec devices I installed recently are BACnet and have an OPC server, so I get two languages at no extra charge. The device has a web server. I made a bunch of graphical projects for various devices such as my Android phone, tablet and a PC. I have an energy dashboard, alarming and scheduling pages and I put popup trends on my VAV pages. It is a front end, I didn't buy one. Nothing is license restricted and the configuration tool is free. I cannot out-program the device. I use graphical function blocks but there are other program methods you can use if you want to do something really special. The quality of the device is really good and it is about 2/3 the size of other devices I use with the same I/O amount. (Cost is good too!)

In this area Tridium seems to be the only thing people are selling but I don't get it. When our company does an EMS upgrade there is very rarely any legacy systems that need to be integrated. The typical MO is to put in a bunch of jaces with LON or Bacnet field devices. Why not just use a nice multi-port router and save the cash. I route LON and BACnet so I have freedom for my front end, if I need a proprietary gateways there are things out there and I like the fact that Loytec has no costs for licensing and upgrading systems. I have used their touch panels, controllers for AHU's and VAV's, routers, servers and even some of their DALI lighting controls and it is all working good.

FYI: --- Daryl with Loytec told me they will have a bunch of new products at the AHR show in Chicago, so I'd check them out or just give them a call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast