Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've also been tricked by my own gauge set.Added a holding charge,watched the pressure slowly drop,leak check everything again,etc.The system was fine,the leak was the HP stem packing of my gauge set.By the time I was done ,I had the cleanest compressor in town.An old timer told me "Don't believe everything you see!"Your gauges could read Zero but you could have a full charge sitting on the other side of a check valve.You'll find that out when you open up the system .Lieberts are good for that.

Ugh the "leak"

1st tech out, press. test nothing.
    2nd tech out press. test nothing told him to add dye
    Finally I go out, for sure 400 psi would show leak, nothing, wip out the light YES attempted to show customer the leaks but he said he wasnt sure what h was looking for so i figuered ok now that i know where they are some bubbly would help him see...........friggin things would not show still. Oh well dye didnt just walk there to have a party. Man I need an affordable sniffer any recommendations? My shop wont pay for it so i need to shell out my own cash for it so anything moderatly priced will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by castillo7411 View Post
    1st tech out, press. test nothing.
    2nd tech out press. test nothing told him to add dye
    Finally I go out, for sure 400 psi would show leak, nothing, wip out the light YES attempted to show customer the leaks but he said he wasnt sure what h was looking for so i figuered ok now that i know where they are some bubbly would help him see...........friggin things would not show still. Oh well dye didnt just walk there to have a party. Man I need an affordable sniffer any recommendations? My shop wont pay for it so i need to shell out my own cash for it so anything moderatly priced will be good.
    First off, Ebay is where I got my leak detector. Got an Inficon Tek-Mate. It works great. The D-Tek is the top of the line. Get it if you can afford it. You won't regret it.

Second, 400psi and no bubbles? Sounds a little off to me. Maybe your extreme pressure is blowing the soap soluation away from the leak as apposed to blowing the bubbles like it should.

And Last, IMO, I don't recommend the dye. I don't like it. I don't use it. It only has a decent chance of working in the dark. It cost too much. And according to a study that Trane did, Dye solution has an adverse affect on the compressor internal components over long periods of time. Don't know how much time, but thats what was taught at the last Trane class I attended.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12