Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
I agree that things that can be fixed that offer some reasonable expectation of reliability, should be fixed. It also appears that you have some degree of experience in the field. Which probably leads you to have a rough idea of what a repair of this system would cost regardless of geographic region and what the realistic expectations of reliability and possible problems that can develop on a system of this age. How can you in good conscious recommend fixing this? I would fix it if the customer requests, but I would also tell them the not always liked but very distinct possibility of what will likely happen. Fixing things for the purpose of fixing things is very noble, but only in the best benefit of the ego of the person involved in fixing it and not necessarily in the best interests of the customers pocketbook. If it was 5 years old, fixing it is better, but at 15, a complete waste of time.
you are correct in most of what you say
diagnos the problem and then give the costomer a compltely informed option.

this unit hasnt been diagnosed in any way and may have a simple fix even after all this parts changing is done.

repalcing as a fix with out knowing why isnt doing anyone a justice or showing any expertice on anyones part except knowing its age