o6e bad connecting rod

i have a 35 ton 06e that threw a connecting rod and lost oil pressure.
    it is the second piston on the crank from the oil pump.
    the piston, wrist pin and connecting rod are broken,

my question is!
    i can get to it from the oil pump.
    can i change it in place?

by the way i found the flood back problem.
    insulation in the air handler fell off and completely covered evap coil.

st65
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

No, you need to get it from below, which means removing the compressor.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

I don't see how. The bottom has to come off to access the crankcase and the feet are part of the bottom plate.
    In other words, you have to take it loose and roll it over to get to it.

Then you should be concerned about wear limits on the thrust washer and the sides of the rods.

Id just change the compressor. Ill bet the main bearing is shot, also the rod journal on the crank might be damaged.

06e

how come the correct answer is never easy?

Quote Originally Posted by y7turbo View Post
    Id just change the compressor. Ill bet the main bearing is shot, also the rod journal on the crank might be damaged.
    I agree with Turbo.
    The broken rod is the end result of a thoroughly lack-of-lubrication-damaged compressor. In your shoes, I've always replaced the compressor.
    Otherwise, you will be back confronting a pissed off customer who has spent a large amount of labor for you to repair only one of the problem's effects.
    For the most part, the days of rebuilding compressors in the field are over due to labor costs and warranty issues. I'll still try valve plates, head gaskets, and unloaders, etc., but no lower end repairs.
    jogas

When one bearing goes bad the rest are probably gone also, the massive loss of oil pressure shut down the motor before more extensive damage occured. When you install the new piston-rod and bearing, don't be surprised if there is still no o/p. If the motor was larger it might be cost effective to overhaul in the field, but you will be working in the worst conditions ie. dirt, moisture, personal saftey. Change it out.

Last wednesday, I had a recently rebuilt 30 hp Copeland Discus break a rod, lodging the piston sideways in the cylinder. Anybody could look at it and say it's due to a flooded start or oil slug. When we initially installed this compressor, it megged out at 3 megohms. The rebuilder and customer said "Run it anyway"

In the last month, I've been logging this compressor and it's gone from tripping on low oil pressure with a 60 psi net to tripping on low oil pressure with a 7 psi net. The pump-down valve and crankcase heater is working properly... Needless to say, I can't wait to see what kind of goodies are waiting for me inside the crankcase...

St, I'd just replace the compressor and figure out what killed it in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    Last wednesday, I had a recently rebuilt 30 hp Copeland Discus break a rod, lodging the piston sideways in the cylinder. Anybody could look at it and say it's due to a flooded start or oil slug. When we initially installed this compressor, it megged out at 3 megohms. The rebuilder and customer said "Run it anyway"

In the last month, I've been logging this compressor and it's gone from tripping on low oil pressure with a 60 psi net to tripping on low oil pressure with a 7 psi net. The pump-down valve and crankcase heater is working properly... Needless to say, I can't wait to see what kind of goodies are waiting for me inside the crankcase...

St, I'd just replace the compressor and figure out what killed it in the first place.
    Every compressor I change gets a new (if existing) Oil Failure Control.
    60 PSIG and an oil failure? Doesn't sound right.
    jogas

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    i have a 35 ton 06e that threw a connecting rod and lost oil pressure.
    it is the second piston on the crank from the oil pump.
    the piston, wrist pin and connecting rod are broken,

my question is!
    i can get to it from the oil pump.
    can i change it in place?

by the way i found the flood back problem.
    insulation in the air handler fell off and completely covered evap coil.

st65
    anytime any motor looses oil pressure its a safe bet that multiple bearings were scorched

turn in the core and either get a new O6E or a rebuilt one!

fix that insulation so that wont happen again, sounds like you will make some money on this job!

Quote Originally Posted by jogas View Post
    Every compressor I change gets a new (if existing) Oil Failure Control.
    60 PSIG and an oil failure? Doesn't sound right.
    jogas
    Yeah, it didn't make sense to me either until I pulled an oil sample and saw metal shavings in the oil. The oil pressure switch was probably restricted with chunks of compressor when I saw that 60 psi net.

A week later, while waiting for the oil analysis to come back, it started tripping on low oil again. That's when I saw 7 psi. Added about a quart of oil with both compressors in the circuit running, and that oil went right to the other compressor. So.... pressurized crank, busted rod(s), gradual loss of lubrication.... It was ugly.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Supertek No hard feelings.
    Let us know how it turns out.

The only real fix is to change out the compressor.
    Make sure that you purchase the better of the two tier compressors that are available from Totalline.

A common cause of rod/wrist pin failures is a broken discharge valve that keeps constant pressure on the piston top. The wrist pin is lubed by the "slop" in the journal squirting oil into the bearing with each direction change [top of stroke].

When the Discharge valve is bad the constant pressure on the piston top never allows the "slop" in the wrist pin journal to shift sides and sqirt oil into the bearing. The wrist pin bearing seizes, breaking the rod also.

This is a common failure along with flooded startup, oil dilution and lack of lubrication [which will show heat darkening].

Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    Yeah, it didn't make sense to me either until I pulled an oil sample and saw metal shavings in the oil. The oil pressure switch was probably restricted with chunks of compressor when I saw that 60 psi net.

A week later, while waiting for the oil analysis to come back, it started tripping on low oil again. That's when I saw 7 psi. Added about a quart of oil with both compressors in the circuit running, and that oil went right to the other compressor. So.... pressurized crank, busted rod(s), gradual loss of lubrication.... It was ugly.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Supertek No hard feelings.
    Let us know how it turns out.
    no problem rob, it was a stupid thread anyway!