Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding TXV to goodman heatpump

Post Likes

Adding TXV to goodman heatpump

I hope this doesn't sound stupid but I am new to HVAC.

I have a goodman cplt 42 3.5 ton 13 SEER heat pump. I want to take out the fixed orifices and replace them with TXV valves. While installing the TXV on the indoor unit is not a problem, I am having difficulty finding a good place to put he bypass on the outdoor unit. I do not see any schrader valve to hook the bypass to and there is not a lot of room in the tubing to install the supplied stub with the port.

Can I install the equalizer tube after the service port on the condenser unit in to low pressure line since it would be quite easy to cut in there?

Thanks in Advance,

Carl
    Last edited by carlb23; 06-22-2008 at 07:18 AM.

Post Likes
    Where did you get the heat pump from?

Post Likes
    Just how new are you to HVAC? A txv can be installed in any unit.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by carlb23 View Post
    Can I install the bypass valve after the service port on the condenser unit in to low pressure line since it would be quite easy to cut in there?
    Thanks in Advance,

Carl
    Guessing you mean teh external equalizer.

No, it won't work if you install it there.

You didn't just order/pick up TXVs from the supply house did you.

I can't say for sure on Goodman anymore, but most manufacturers run a much lower SH on the OD coil then they do on the indoor coil. So if you picked up a non adjustable TXV, you actually decreased the amount of heat you'll get.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Just how new are you to HVAC? A txv can be installed in any unit.

Well I purchased the unit about 1.5 years ago and installed it myself. I followed the instructions correctly and the system is supposed charged for a 15' line set which is what i used minus about 2 inches. While the system does run ok I feel I would get better performance if i replaced the orifice on both the indoor and outdoor units with txv valves.

Carl

Post Likes
    Well I purchased the unit about 1.5 years ago and installed it myself. I followed the instructions correctly and the system is supposed charged for a 15' line set which is what i used minus about 2 inches. While the system does run ok I feel I would get better performance if i replaced the orifice on both the indoor and outdoor units with txv valves.

Carl
    Just because it says it had the proper amount of charge, doesn't mean it really did.

And if you don't know what SH the OD TXV is suppose to run at, you won't get as much heat as you did with the piston.

Post Likes
    Thanks Beenthere,

I will contact the manufacture and see if they can clear things up.

Post Likes
    Thanks Beenthere,

I will contact the manufacture and see if they can clear things up.
    Oh!!! This should be good

Let's see now, a DIYer who hasn't even properly adjusted the charge on a system is now going to attempt adding txv's with the guidance of Goodman's tech support. What was that Queen song about dust?
    Training is important!

Post Likes

Let's see now, a DIYer who hasn't even properly adjusted the charge on a system is now going to attempt adding txv's with the guidance of Goodman's tech support. What was that Queen song about dust?

Robowanabeetech,

You can take you pompous attitude and stick it up your A**. While I am not a licensed HVAC "tech" I do design large scale photovoltaic arrays for business and commercial use to help reduce the green house gases that so called HVAC tech's have vented into the atmosphere over the years.

When someone comes to me asking questions about maybe putting PV's on their house to help reduce their dependence on electricity made from fossil fuel or to just help reduce their energy consumption I don't give them attitude and think I am better than them I give them answers based on my years of experience in the field that I was trained in.

I am not so insecure that I feel I have to give smart A** answers to people who ask questions.

Ban me if you like because I will never visit this forum again.

Carl

Post Likes
    Yeah you tell him!!! Btw I was thinking of putting in a pv system for my house, can you give me the run down what equipment will I need to use and what kind of challenges I will face putting it in, also can I get what forum you post on for pv systems so in the future when its not working I can get technical support from you.

It shouldn't be to hard to put it in, I'm just a hvac tech but a/cs have been using electricity to run for a long time now. So naturally I should be able to install this.
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by green jumper View Post
    Yeah you tell him!!! Btw I was thinking of putting in a pv system for my house, can you give me the run down what equipment will I need to use and what kind of challenges I will face putting it in, also can I get what forum you post on for pv systems so in the future when its not working I can get technical support from you.

It shouldn't be to hard to put it in, I'm just a hvac tech but a/cs have been using electricity to run for a long time now. So naturally I should be able to install this.
    I have no doubt that you can install a solar PV array, the trick like with HVAC is matching the components for maximum efficiency and getting the sun angles and inclination correct for your latitude.

Here a few sights that i frequent and while the SMA sight deals with their equipment you can still get answers to general questions.

http://forums.sma-america.com/

http://forums.altenergystore.com/

http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/index.php

I prefer the Sharp solar panels with their SRS racking system it makes it quicker then most to install and gives a more seamless appearance.

I have also speced BP panels using the Uni-Rac sunframe system and while more expensive than the sharp SRS racking the sunframe is the most attractive of all the mounting systems.

The sunframe system is the most difficult to install because you must have you entire array square to within 1/4 inch over a very large area (sometimes 200' X 200')

I like the SMA inverters they last forever and can take a real beating The Froinus are also very popular and both have a better than 94% efficiency rating. All of the systems that I design are Grid Tied (battery less) systems where net metering laws allow the electric meter to run backwards when the array is generating more energy then the building is using.

Depending which state you live in there maybe financial incentives as well as the ability to sell SREC's to help offset the cost of a system. A typical 10kwh array will cost between 70 and 80K installed. In some states the rebates can be as high as 70% of the installed cost and the Feds will kick in 2K for any system installed in 2008.

Good luck with your venture

Carl.

Post Likes
    Robowanabeetech,

You can take you pompous attitude and stick it up your A**. While I am not a licensed HVAC "tech" I do design large scale photovoltaic arrays for business and commercial use to help reduce the green house gases that so called HVAC tech's have vented into the atmosphere over the years.

When someone comes to me asking questions about maybe putting PV's on their house to help reduce their dependence on electricity made from fossil fuel or to just help reduce their energy consumption I don't give them attitude and think I am better than them I give them answers based on my years of experience in the field that I was trained in.

I am not so insecure that I feel I have to give smart A** answers to people who ask questions.

Ban me if you like because I will never visit this forum again.

Carl
    with the correct infomation and readings and temps you got dissed the one so called wantabe tech that could have helped you. Not to smart IMO

Now i stongly recomend you not redesign the unit and use the parts recomended for it. I also recomend you have it set up properly and you will find it will work well as designed.

it is also very easy to blame hvac techs for green house now that all the real and biddest colprits have been removed. R-22 although has chlorine isnt the bad guy here and niether are the techs. Do your homework before casting stones

Post Likes
    Another pseudo-scientist with callouses on his inner arms.

Post Likes

I'm wondering where he got a torch set, brazing rods, recovery machine, vacum pump, filter dryer...

Post Likes
    Around here, just about any supply house will sell then to the general public.

Post Likes
    I just love people who want to over engineer a system because they didn't know how to properly set it up in the first place. Most times I come across a tech who wants to fix an issue with a system by installing a txv I find that not only would a txv not resolve the issue but they simply did not set up the equipment properly in the first place. And yes, I am willing to bet that something is not operating properly.

I'm sure gonna miss this one. I am really broken hearted that this one will never come back to H-Talk because he doesn't like me....ohhhhh the guilt I am feeling.....

Then again, yes, I would certainly have been willing to help out if this poster had actually posted anything even remotely worthwhile rather then his off the wall thoughts for curing what is most likely not what he thinks is even happening. We don't even have a model number of the indoor coil to work with. My first guess would be that the poster bought either a matching indoor coil/AH which would have had a piston that is too large for the outdoor unit and the blower is oversized or he bought an indoor coil/AH with the nominal sizing for a 10 SEER unit that is too small for the CPLT it is matched to.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    And if he paid for them just to install one system then he is an idiot.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by digital686 View Post
    And if he paid for them just to install one system then he is an idiot.
    But he saved a lot on the install labor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by digital686 View Post
    I'm wondering where he got a torch set, brazing rods, recovery machine, vacum pump, filter dryer...
    Filter/drier comes with the CPLT (internally mounted). However, if the lineset and coil were not properly evacuated, there is a good chance that the OEM filter/drier is partially blocked.

I'd love to know what the operating data is on this system. Who knows, he may have lucked out and it may actually be operating properly. Temperatures, pressures, voltages and amps would certainly be nice to know though.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You can guy that stuff in Home Depot and Lowes, also right in your home town.
    Training is important!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in