View Poll Results: Do you use a micron guage when pulling a vacuum?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

116 90.63%
  • Nope, we don't own one.

12 9.38%
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    At least one person on this thread needs to review an atmospheric pressure chart Here is an example:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by DPSwitch View Post
    The last inch on your compound gauge is equal to 25,400 microns.....
    We are splitting hairs Dip.
    The micron system uses more and smaller units of measure.

What will gives me a closer cut: A 1" cut of wood. Or a 1mm cut?

This may help.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    ok so whats the best pump will pull. I was taught 28.something was lowest a vacuum pump can do. Of course that was several years ago and it was an Army base......

anyhow, what the lowest the pump can pull?
    I believe altitude effects maximum vac.......I couldn't pull lower than 67 microns with fresh oil and a dual stage vac pump dead headed to the micron gauge with premium black JB hose. But I don't think it's damaged maybe slightly worn though. Table 1-A in MJ8 states I'm at 736 feet above sea level.

My needle is about 12,000 microns

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    We are splitting hairs Dip.
    The micron system uses more and smaller units of measure.

What will gives me a closer cut: A 1" cut of wood. Or a 1mm cut?
    Annnnnnd your point is ?

Quote Originally Posted by DPSwitch View Post
    Annnnnnd your point is ?
    Your right as always, of course.

No thats Refrtech

geeze I am sorry sweetheart if I offended you by asking a question.

Tough crowd here. I guess this big welcome that is offered here for techs that come here to better themselves is just not happening.

I started as a union fitter at the young age of 18 and I am still learning everyday. The way we are taught in trade school is when you reach 30"hg on your vacuum tree (or gauges) is not acceptable, you need to hook up your micron gauge and keep pulling till it reaches 500 microns and then you shut it off for at least 1 hr and make sure it stays under 500 microns.

I apologize for not understanding what you were saying. It sounded as if you were saying if you reach 30"hg on your gauge that it is lower then reaching 500 microns.

Now I have personally had 30" on my vacuum tree with my braided steel hoses and with my micron gauge hooked up it read 3500 microns. I left my vacuum on overnight and when I returned in the morning it was at 450 microns and yes the gauge still read 30"hg because it was bottomed out and it held for an hr and from there I charged the system.

I thought this site was for sharing useful info, not for tearing people down.

Beenthere your just a super friendly person to talk to. thank you

Look around......we all have been beaten here a few times I believe.....except the best of the best and they are usually the super nice ones. You'll grow a thicker skin and realize all of this back and forth isn't to down you......it's to make you better.....the folks in here stress accurate practices because without them....well it's usually refered to as a hack or noob. .....not insulting.....eye opening.

Quote Originally Posted by fitterchick View Post
    Tough crowd here. I guess this big welcome that is offered here for techs that come here to better themselves is just not happening.
    No some of us do welcome you here and please don't stereotype all of us, some of us still remember when we did not even know how to read a set of gauges, except the ones born with a set of gauges in there hands, well you will just have to excuse them, we call them the guy below.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by fitterchick View Post
    geeze I am sorry sweetheart if I offended you by asking a question.

I started as a union fitter at the young age of 18 and I am still learning everyday. The way we are taught in trade school is when you reach 30"hg on your vacuum tree (or gauges) is not acceptable, you need to hook up your micron gauge and keep pulling till it reaches 500 microns and then you shut it off for at least 1 hr and make sure it stays under 500 microns.

I apologize for not understanding what you were saying. It sounded as if you were saying if you reach 30"hg on your gauge that it is lower then reaching 500 microns.

Now I have personally had 30" on my vacuum tree with my braided steel hoses and with my micron gauge hooked up it read 3500 microns. I left my vacuum on overnight and when I returned in the morning it was at 450 microns and yes the gauge still read 30"hg because it was bottomed out and it held for an hr and from there I charged the system.

I thought this site was for sharing useful info, not for tearing people down.

Beenthere your just a super friendly person to talk to. thank you
    I think you read someone's sarcastic reply and got it confused with the accurate info in this thread. What you typed above is the same as what has been stated several times throughout the thread.

Welcome to the site. When your post count is a bit higher, apply for pro membership. Lots of fun is had by all in the Pro Forums.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Well........ actually.

Lets look at where this started.

How can you say 30"hg is a perfect vacumm???

30"hg your actual micron level can be 5,000+
    This statement is incorrect, and when corrected ....the poster acts as if they have been mistreated in some way?

Please.

Oh yeah...

Welcome..... lol

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast