View Poll Results: Do you use a micron guage when pulling a vacuum?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    116 90.63%
  • Nope, we don't own one.

    12 9.38%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast
Results 53 to 65 of 224
  1. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Grundy Co. IL
    Posts
    773
    At least this pole shows a good thing, over 90% of pro's here are using micron gauges.

  2. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NW burbs of Detroit
    Posts
    6,058
    How many of you guys put on a filter drier when you seal up the system?

    Seen a lot of guys pulldown to a good vacuum but no filter..

    Attitude was if it needed one the factory would have provided one.

  3. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    752
    I never heard of a micron guage until 410a. use it every time because i no longer will install r-22.

  4. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Grundy Co. IL
    Posts
    773
    Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    How many of you guys put on a filter drier when you seal up the system?

    Seen a lot of guys pulldown to a good vacuum but no filter..

    Attitude was if it needed one the factory would have provided one.
    Always, if not factory provided

  5. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NW burbs of Detroit
    Posts
    6,058
    Quote Originally Posted by refrtech View Post
    IMHO only a HACK would pull a vaccum on a system w/out checking the micron level . That is truely the only way to be 100% sure that you have zero leaks and that the system is contaminent free .

    Again just my opinion
    No offense, but contaminents are removed by a good flushing (acid, oil sludge, stuff like that) a vacuum pump will remove air along with moisture and non condensibles.
    Last edited by hvaclover; 06-22-2008 at 11:36 AM.

  6. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22
    we mandate that every time a system is open a new filter dryer is installed.

  7. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Houston,Tx.
    Posts
    15,945
    Quote Originally Posted by coolmen View Post
    I never heard of a micron guage until 410a. use it every time because i no longer will install r-22.

    And that ok Buddy we all started somewhere unlike some here that will make you feel so bad and belittle folks because they were born with a micron gauge in there butt and a NATE certificate in there hand and a Sling Psychrometer in there teeth. Rather than putting folks down here that haven't used these few tools of the trade we "Pro's" should be encouraging old and new Pro's that haven't been using these tools how these tools can be beneficial to them in servicing a/c equipment. I guess instead of the sarcasm and put downs use our knowledge and experience and treat these folks as students and teach them as any good teacher should, remember none here knows it all anyway, but if we all work "together" we can all gain knowledge from one another, "maybe" even something we did not know, just my two cents.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

    "Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

  8. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NW burbs of Detroit
    Posts
    6,058
    Quote Originally Posted by coolmen View Post
    I never heard of a micron guage until 410a. use it every time because i no longer will install r-22.
    Whole new thread. But you're right, 410 will MANDATE micron guages usage.

    And holding a neagative press for leak detection will become problamatic.

    410A driers are so much more hygroscoic you stand to contaminate the drier if you have a leak with the systeem under vacuum.

    I think that $400 Robinaire micron tester is for me.

  9. #61
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NW burbs of Detroit
    Posts
    6,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    And that ok Buddy we all started somewhere unlike some here that will make you feel so bad and belittle folks because they were born with a micron gauge in there butt and a NATE certificate in there hand and a Sling Psychrometer in there teeth. Rather than putting folks down here that haven't used these few tools of the trade we "Pro's" should be encouraging old and new Pro's that haven't been using these tools how these tools can be beneficial to them in servicing a/c equipment. I guess instead of the sarcasm and put downs use our knowledge and experience and treat these folks as students and teach them as any good teacher should, remember none here knows it all anyway, but if we all work "together" we can all gain knowledge from one another, "maybe" even something we did not know, just my two cents.
    That is why you are a gent Mr. Bill.

  10. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Baltimore area
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    No offense, but contaminents are removed by a good flushing (acid, oil sludge, stuff like that) a vacuum pump will remove air along with moisture and non condensibles.
    Sorry I was not more specific clover but IMO anything that may be in the system EXCEPT for refrigerant and oil is a contaminent .

  11. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Baltimore area
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    That is why you are a gent Mr. Bill.
    ........ and I am not , but hey I never claimed to be !!

  12. #64
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NW burbs of Detroit
    Posts
    6,058
    Quote Originally Posted by refrtech View Post
    Sorry I was not more specific clover but IMO anything that may be in the system EXCEPT for refrigerant and oil is a contaminent .
    No use splitting hairs. We probably have some regional terminology here that would not agree with some of the every day procedures used in your neck of the woods.

  13. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NW burbs of Detroit
    Posts
    6,058
    Quote Originally Posted by refrtech View Post
    ........ and I am not , but hey I never claimed to be !!
    You're one of the best. Don't be humble.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event