View Poll Results: Do you use a micron guage when pulling a vacuum?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

116 90.63%
  • Nope, we don't own one.

12 9.38%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast
    At least this pole shows a good thing, over 90% of pro's here are using micron gauges.

How many of you guys put on a filter drier when you seal up the system?

Seen a lot of guys pulldown to a good vacuum but no filter..

Attitude was if it needed one the factory would have provided one.

I never heard of a micron guage until 410a. use it every time because i no longer will install r-22.

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    How many of you guys put on a filter drier when you seal up the system?

Seen a lot of guys pulldown to a good vacuum but no filter..

Attitude was if it needed one the factory would have provided one.
    Always, if not factory provided

Quote Originally Posted by refrtech View Post
    IMHO only a HACK would pull a vaccum on a system w/out checking the micron level . That is truely the only way to be 100% sure that you have zero leaks and that the system is contaminent free .

Again just my opinion
    No offense, but contaminents are removed by a good flushing (acid, oil sludge, stuff like that) a vacuum pump will remove air along with moisture and non condensibles.
    Last edited by hvaclover; 06-22-2008 at 11:36 AM.

we mandate that every time a system is open a new filter dryer is installed.

Quote Originally Posted by coolmen View Post
    I never heard of a micron guage until 410a. use it every time because i no longer will install r-22.

And that ok Buddy we all started somewhere unlike some here that will make you feel so bad and belittle folks because they were born with a micron gauge in there butt and a NATE certificate in there hand and a Sling Psychrometer in there teeth. Rather than putting folks down here that haven't used these few tools of the trade we "Pro's" should be encouraging old and new Pro's that haven't been using these tools how these tools can be beneficial to them in servicing a/c equipment. I guess instead of the sarcasm and put downs use our knowledge and experience and treat these folks as students and teach them as any good teacher should, remember none here knows it all anyway, but if we all work "together" we can all gain knowledge from one another, "maybe" even something we did not know, just my two cents.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by coolmen View Post
    Whole new thread. But you're right, 410 will MANDATE micron guages usage.

And holding a neagative press for leak detection will become problamatic.

410A driers are so much more hygroscoic you stand to contaminate the drier if you have a leak with the systeem under vacuum.

I think that $400 Robinaire micron tester is for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    And that ok Buddy we all started somewhere unlike some here that will make you feel so bad and belittle folks because they were born with a micron gauge in there butt and a NATE certificate in there hand and a Sling Psychrometer in there teeth. Rather than putting folks down here that haven't used these few tools of the trade we "Pro's" should be encouraging old and new Pro's that haven't been using these tools how these tools can be beneficial to them in servicing a/c equipment. I guess instead of the sarcasm and put downs use our knowledge and experience and treat these folks as students and teach them as any good teacher should, remember none here knows it all anyway, but if we all work "together" we can all gain knowledge from one another, "maybe" even something we did not know, just my two cents.
    That is why you are a gent Mr. Bill.

No offense, but contaminents are removed by a good flushing (acid, oil sludge, stuff like that) a vacuum pump will remove air along with moisture and non condensibles.
    Sorry I was not more specific clover but IMO anything that may be in the system EXCEPT for refrigerant and oil is a contaminent .

That is why you are a gent Mr. Bill.
    ........ and I am not , but hey I never claimed to be !!

Sorry I was not more specific clover but IMO anything that may be in the system EXCEPT for refrigerant and oil is a contaminent .
    No use splitting hairs. We probably have some regional terminology here that would not agree with some of the every day procedures used in your neck of the woods.

........ and I am not , but hey I never claimed to be !!
    You're one of the best. Don't be humble.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast