View Poll Results: Do you use a micron guage when pulling a vacuum?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

116 90.63%
  • Nope, we don't own one.

12 9.38%
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 69101112131415161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DPSwitch View Post
    lol

that reminds me of a Mr. Bill story.....

nahhhhh
    If your thinking about the same I am thinking about.....centimeters are an understatement!
    I need a new signature.....

i use toilet paper for that flow test

after all this reading , put a negative vote to the plus side

proud owner of DV-22N.
    To Keeping up with all this reading , coffe , Diet Dr Pepper, Green Tea.
    "Accountability" is the key word here for those that don't "do the right thing" for our trade .
    So now im ready not to be a "hack" according to you'll.
    Matt 7:12 The Golden Rule
    "Do for others what you would like them to do for you. This summary of all is taught in the law and the prophets.

My last job used to send me out to do startups and usually braze in the outdoor unit. Being a 2nd year at the time, I didn't have a ton of tools. So the first one they send me on the forman gives me the address and says " head out there, the installers are finishing up. They will have all the tools you need in order to get the unit running today." I get there to find out the outdoor unit has to be brazed in so I start on it, get all the pieces measured and what not. I'm just about to start brazing and I realize I almost forgot to use nitrogen. So I go get my gauges and go ask the installers where the notrogen is. In return, I get blank stares and ridicule. I think "wow, okay so apparently nitrogen maybe isn't that important for brazing, but how do you pressure test?" Feeling a little uncomfortable about the quality of the install I just figure I'll carry on and see what the boss thinks about this. The unit is now brazed in and since I have no nitrogen, I hook up my vacuum pump. Go to ask the other guys for a micron gauge, again blank stares, ridicule. I ask the guys how they can be sure about the integrity of the ststem when you haven't pressure tested, and you're not even checking with a micron gauge. They just kind of gave me puzzled stares like "who's this new know it all apprentice?"
    End of the day, I go back to the shop and ask the foreman about these procedures, he laughs and says " I've been doing this for 25 years and I never use that stuff" I am in disbelief. The next day I go pick up some nitrogen and order micron gauges for me and another tech. I worked there for almost 1 year and couldn't believe how many installs that were less then 3 years old had service calls where the cause was low refrigerant. Hmmm I just don't understand why? Talk about a frustrating place to work- a second year apprentice going around fixing journeyman hack mistakes on a regular basis. An embarassing company to work for- my only regret is that it took me a year to get the brains to get the hell out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by refrtech View Post
    IMHO only a HACK would pull a vaccum on a system w/out checking the micron level . That is truely the only way to be 100% sure that you have zero leaks and that the system is contaminent free .

Again just my opinion
    if i still have contaminates in a system, how does that affect my reading on a micron gage? will my reading go higher (more microns) and how will i know it doesn't just have a leak?
    td55

Quote Originally Posted by tonydykes55 View Post
    if i still have contaminates in a system, how does that affect my reading on a micron gage? will my reading go higher (more microns) and how will i know it doesn't just have a leak?
    Generally, if you blank off the vacuum pump at 500 microns and the system reading rises to about 1500 microns and stays there, you are boiling off more moisture. But if the reading keeps rising, you have a leak.

See page 4 of the following:
    http://www.jbind.com/tools/userfiles...Principles.pdf

I use mine but, I'm going to be honest. I don't use it all the time. Specialy if I'm in a hurry

I think the poll show's that these forum's are doing what they are supposed to do. Helping tech's who want to learn with discussion's on what tools to use, when to use it, why to use it, and how to use it. Most of us here are further educate ourself's and mabie help someone else along the way so they don't make the same mistakes we did. The poll result's don't reflect what we see in the field generally.

Lots of things we weren't taught in school, such as a using a micron guage, reading static pressure, checking cfm's, and the list goes on. Doesn't make anyone a hack, just someone in need of more education.

It was here I learned I needed the YJ micron guage I now own and use instead of just pulling a triple vac. The same can be said for my Testo 605 H-2, 510, 410, and more to come. Don't know about everyone else, but I plan on keeping on learning untill I'm planted in the ground. Thanks to you guy's, the industry as a whole is improving all the time.

The peer pressure to perform certain tasks on this board is immense.

I have been on installs with the largest companies around here, NATE certified, the nine yards.

Ain't seen one micron gauge come out ever.

I still say that the poll is inaccurate because too many guys are either being less than forthcoming or are;t voting at all.
    Last edited by hvaclover; 06-27-2008 at 11:16 AM.

I'd say, its more of a not voting if they don't use one thing.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

New to the discussion, but I have never started a system without seeing what the gauge has to say about it. 2 cents anyway.

yeah when doing the practices talked/taught on here and seeing other peoples faces that are watching.....it kinda makes me think we split atoms or something with A/C and I'm about as green a noob as they come.......I can only imagine what some of the others are like with more exp. than I have years alive......you guys must have golden light emitting from your skin

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    I still say that the poll is inaccurate because too many guys are either being less than forthcoming or are;t voting at all.
    Nawww all those guys aint posting because they have to pull a vacuum so long because they never know what the micron level is. No time for posting

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 69101112131415161718 LastLast