How often should HEPA'S be replaced?

As a rule of thumb in say - a laboratory or surgery room?

heppa

hi,
    with heppas it all depends on the pre filters the enviroment outside, roughly around 70-100 pascal pressure drop correct me if wrong.
    the heppas can last up to 3-5 years must be air balanced after heppas changed and certified

I always used the manufacturers specifications and used pressure drop across filter.
    All your air handlers in hospitals should have magnahelics (or equivilent) on both sides of pre filters and both sides of final filters. records should be maintained to show pressures are bing monitored and at what point you are changing them

I hate rules of thumb, especially in critical environments. They are stupid and should never be used. People can die. It is not someone just complaining that its hot or cold. Learn your business or leave it to people that do.

Our AHCA rules here require the HEPAs to be changed at least once a year due to the possibitity of "Biologicals" growing on them.

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    Our AHCA rules here require the HEPAs to be changed at least once a year due to the possibitity of "Biologicals" growing on them.
    Where does it say that???

We mostly see them in hospitals, pharmas, and cleanrooms. In almost every case they are changed due to pressure drop across the filter. most of the new installations we do have pressure taps right on the cases these days for monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by nik99 View Post
    Where does it say that???
    That was straight from a ACHA site inspector. The Biocide [Microban] on the filters only lasts about a year, after that it is not a true medical "HEPA". They always want a date on the filters too.

Learn your business or leave it to people that do.
    Umm, what the hell kind of comment was that? I never said I was changing MY HEPA filters based on a rule of thumb. It was a question I got asked and didn't know the answer to so I asked it here. Lighten up.