Thread: Residential Coil Recommendation for Asthmatic?

Post Likes

Residential Coil Recommendation for Asthmatic?

I am a resident, and not an installer, so I beg forgiveness ahead of time for lack of knowledge.

I am looking for a new coil, money is really not much of an object, but it must be able to handle a Single-Light UV system as well. I went the best coil I can find (Stainless Steel? Copper/Tin?), but here's my problem...

I had a coil replaced, the the UV system caused a severe plastic/chemical smell. My installer isolated to the tape he used, and came out to replace with a new coil and to re-tape. However, when he arrived, the coil carried the same plastic/chemical scent, though not as strong. It was also dirty.

He was told by the manufacturer to clean the coil, and then try installing. Since the coil was dirty, and smelled, and I have severe asthma... I am not happy with this decision. So I want to request a new coil from a different manufacturer, but don't know which one is good.

Thanks.

-Pie

Post Likes
    Plastic scent from coil, now that is a new one to me, maybe you need to move your U.V. light downstream away from "A" coil pan;then if it's in a return side of air handler vent the "p" trap so you won't smell anything. Clean filters help also.

Coils all are made pretty much the same style, with few differences.
    http://www.residential.carrier.com/p...or/index.shtml
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    If you have asthma I am pretty sure you don't want a "UV" light as most produce ozone. They also break down any thing plastic or petrol based.

You can have a custom coil built from any material you wish and stainless is an expensive but excellent choice.

Good filtration like a MERV 11 or better whole house pleated filter is the best option to a clean system. A system that will maintain humidity below 50% and dew points below 55% with a MERV 11+ filter will eliminate virtually any chance of mold or dust mites.

Bryant/Carrier make the best filter system, it actually is verified to kill viruses and bacteria, no other does. However I have found that a properly designed system with good basic quality filtration is plenty for most even those with severe asthma or mold allergies.

Post Likes
    YORK is the coil your looking for. They are coated w/a antimicrobacterial film.
    It's got distinctive blue colored fins.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
    I am a resident, and not an installer, so I beg forgiveness ahead of time for lack of knowledge.

I am looking for a new coil, money is really not much of an object, but it must be able to handle a Single-Light UV system as well. I went the best coil I can find (Stainless Steel? Copper/Tin?), but here's my problem...

I had a coil replaced, the the UV system caused a severe plastic/chemical smell. My installer isolated to the tape he used, and came out to replace with a new coil and to re-tape. However, when he arrived, the coil carried the same plastic/chemical scent, though not as strong. It was also dirty.

He was told by the manufacturer to clean the coil, and then try installing. Since the coil was dirty, and smelled, and I have severe asthma... I am not happy with this decision. So I want to request a new coil from a different manufacturer, but don't know which one is good.

Thanks.

-Pie
    The best indoor air quality is: a fresh air change every 3 hours.
    Maintain <50%RH throughout the home and duct system.
    Merv 11 air filter to keep the equipment and home clean.

This recommendation is from AM Lung ASS, Am Medical ASS, EPA.
    No UV light in the recommendation.
    Regarding the a/c coil they are saturated with moisture when cooling. During the "off" cycle, throughly dry the ducts and coil by operating the blower continuously. Drying stops biological growth in the ducts.
    In green grass climates, supplemental dehumidification is usually required. Also a ventilating whole house dehumidifier is device designed specifically to bring the right amount of filtered fresh air, keep the a/c ducts dry when not cooling, and blend the the fresh dry air into the home. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Turn the UV light off for a week.
    See if the smell go away. And see if your asthma is adversly affected.

Post Likes
    Wow I really, really appreciate all the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Turn the UV light off for a week.
    See if the smell go away. And see if your asthma is adversly affected.
    The light has been off for weeks and the system still smells. I believe there is some kind of chemical left over from manufacturing that the light activated... but I have no scientific basis for that besides the newly installed coil REEKING from the light, and the replacement for that one carrying a much more subdued version of the same odor.

Thanks for the advice on filters and such. I should have specified that I'm all set in that arena, and know about freshening the house air in the morning.

I guess I should have just said... What's the BEST residential coil, and what's it made of? Sounds like stainless? What of copper/tin? (Tin sounds cheap.)

-Pie

Post Likes
    The tin coating isn't affected by house hold chemicals as much as copper is.

Post Likes
    Wet coils and ducts can develop an odor. For the short term operate the fan continuously to dry it out. If the odors are caused by biological growth, the odor will decline. Fresh air is good. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    Wet coils and ducts can develop an odor. For the short term operate the fan continuously to dry it out. If the odors are caused by biological growth, the odor will decline. Fresh air is good. Regards TB
    Definitely not the issue. The reek was very likely ignited by a reaction with the UV light.

I would still appreciate more coil recommendations, and even how to order them.

Thanks.

-Pie

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
    Definitely not the issue. The reek was very likely ignited by a reaction with the UV light.

I would still appreciate more coil recommendations, and even how to order them.

Thanks.

-Pie
    Your contractor orders it.

Post Likes
    personaly i dout the uv light did any thing but break down any plastic and creat a false sense of security.

you said the light caused the tape to smell and transfered to the coil. There imo is no reason for tape if the coil inclosure and duct work is installed properly. Tape leads me to think there are a lot of leaks in your system and these are causing a lot of you odors. Supply and return leaks can lead to high humidity and mold and other odors in the system.

seal the ducts and install a merv filter.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in