Confused Repair HVAC unit or buy a new one

Compressor on my Carrier gas pack would not work. Repairman got it going but said it sounded bad and probably would not last much longer. Since it was still under warranty (installed 2000) the compressor would not cost me anything but the labor to replace the compressor would be $<EDIT>. He said he would apply the repair charge (<EDIT>) to the price of a new unit if I decided to have his company replace it. He said not to go with a Carrier (which was installed by his company). He said the commercial Carriers were great but he had to repair more residential Carriers than any other brand.

1) Should I keep this one going as long as it will run and replace the compressor when it quits running? (<EDIT>total) And then hope that nothing else quits working any time soon.

2) Should I keep this one until the compressor quits and then buy another unit - not necessarily from that company?

3) Should I ask the repairman to take the parts out that he installed yesterday to get it working and just pay service charge and go ahead and get a new unit now?

4) I have tried to read many threads on this site to get an idea about which
    type and brand to buy and have asked others to give their opinion. I am just so unsure about what to do. I think I have decided on a hybrid/dual gas pack unit. I have no idea which brand to pick. Also, I have read that the installation and service package are very important to consider. I don't know how to determine who does the best installation.

5) So, obviously I need some expert advise. This is something I know nothing about. I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks! Brenna

Brenna, Please read the rules re' pricing in posts!
    Last edited by HeyBob; 06-21-2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Removed Pricing

what you need to do first is to find out exactly what happened to your unit and why it failed. Thats most important.

A system should last longer than 8 years, unless you live on the beach.

Try getting more information as to what happened to your unit first. Then we can help guide you a little more.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Brenna,

There is lots of good info here, but please review the rules re' pricing etc........

Good luck w/your system.

Thanks!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Brenna View Post

1) Should I keep this one going as long as it will run and replace the compressor when it quits running? (<EDIT>total) And then hope that nothing else quits working any time soon.

Do you want to wait several days without A/C if it breaks down again on a Friday night.

2) Should I keep this one until the compressor quits and then buy another unit - not necessarily from that company?

Do you want to wait several days without A/C if it breaks down again on a Friday night.

3) Should I ask the repairman to take the parts out that he installed yesterday to get it working and just pay service charge and go ahead and get a new unit now?

They're your parts now. He can take them out, but you owe for them anyway. Unless you get the new system from him.
    Get several estimates for 3 or 4 different brands.
    Then come back here and ask about the units.

We could recommend a brand not common in your area, and thagt would do you no good.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

On somthing like that, get a second opinion. Some times people will tell you anything to sell you a new unit.