Now I remember... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pstu View Post
    Your concerns about airflow in back bedrooms are important. It also elevates the job from simple AC install. Do you have any info on how Contractor A proposes to address that?

Contractor B sounds like he might have potential, just that he has not been as thorough. Perhaps pushing R22 because he is not as comfortable working with R410.
    Your contractors C, D, E... sounds like you have written them off, with reasonable cause.

Best of luck -- Pstu
    PSTU'S statements should not be considered representative of this forum as he is only a well read HOMEOWNER who means well but has not been known to get it right every time.
    Last edited by hvaclover; 06-21-2008 at 08:08 PM.

When I stated my non-pro status explicitly in post #5 I thought the secret was out. Thanks for saying I mean well. Would you at least agree the OP's concerns about airflow in back bedrooms are important?

When I stated my non-pro status explicitly in post #5 I thought the secret was out. Thanks for saying I mean well. Would you at least agree the OP's concerns about airflow in back bedrooms are important?
    I would say that the pros should be answering this Gentlemans questions.
    It's not what I would call being mindfull of the HOs interests when you don't give full disclosure of your lack of actual hvac jobsite presence.

Ok you have made your case in a gentlemanly way. I will not post here anymore unless someone actually asks me a question.

Regards -- Pstu

Ok you have made your case in a gentlemanly way. I will not post here anymore unless someone actually asks me a question.

Regards -- Pstu

Uh.......that's not the way it works. While you should not be getting technical, you can post to your hearts content.

Hvaclover, if you have an issue with his posts, or anyone else does, you need to report the post and let us handle it.

When I get a minute, I will look for and read his other posts.

While we Mods appreciate help from the members reporting posts etc, it's not your place to admonish another member.

Have an issue? Report the post.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    I would say that the pros should be answering this Gentlemans questions.
    It's not what I would call being mindfull of the HOs interests when you don't give full disclosure of your lack of actual hvac jobsite presence.

I have read the posts by PTSU in this thread and it's not technical, just solid advice from one H/O to another.

He is more than welcome to post away, he can not give technical advice.

He can give advice to a H/O re' choosing a contractor, because he has been through the process as a H/O.

Acobra289, Hang in there. when making a financial decision like this it can be just as frustrating as buying a car.
    Maybe you could call the better of the comapnies an ask them if they have a flat rate to just provide a manual J. If you purchase the report in this manner it is yours to use in what ever way you like. If they offer to provide one upon signature of a quote then it just means they already did their homework they just wanted to get paid for it. I have done many change outs where we have just done a like for like replacement. If the unit lasted for 15 to 20 years is there really a big problem with the sizing of the system if the structure has not been altered? Sometimes the paperwork is not always necessary.
    If you didn't do it right the first time it probably makes sense that your here asking the right way to do it now

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    ...has not been known to get it right every time.
    That would be the pot calling the kettle black.

Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    That would be the pot calling the kettle black.

Always room to learn more.

It's tough coming back after losing your health, hope you never have to go through it.

Your concerns about airflow in back bedrooms are important. It also elevates the job from simple AC install. Do you have any info on how Contractor A proposes to address that?

Contractor B sounds like he might have potential, just that he has not been as thorough. Perhaps pushing R22 because he is not as comfortable working with R410.
    Your contractors C, D, E... sounds like you have written them off, with reasonable cause.

Best of luck -- Pstu
    That is pretty much how I was thinking. Company A is one I feel the most comfortable with. If he can explain why it appears the furnace on the estimate is different than the ARI reference sheet then they will probably be my choice. His solution to the lack of airflow in the bedrooms was to add a new supply line to each bedroom. For various reasons, I don't know if I want to do that, so I'm hoping he can offer other possible solutions.

You know when I have to hire someone to work on something I have no clue on, or build something for me, I don't look at there certificates or there presentations "any" really test smart person can pass tests to achieve certifications and any really good salesman can provide a presentation that will blow even most of Pro's out of the water, I want pictures of there jobs and there customers phone numbers they have done these jobs for, it's hard to beat those two.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    You know when I have to hire someone to work on something I have no clue on, or build something for me, I don't look at there certificates or there presentations "any" really test smart person can pass tests to achieve certifications and any really good salesman can provide a presentation that will blow even most of Pro's out of the water, I want pictures of there jobs and there customers phone numbers they have done these jobs for, it's hard to beat those two.
    Best form of sales I can think of. Refrences and shots of good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    He has given me the names and phone numbers of some recent installs. He didn't have any pictures of past installs, but said he would take me to a current install if I wanted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast