Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by acobra289 View Post
    He has given me the names and phone numbers of some recent installs. He didn't have any pictures of past installs, but said he would take me to a current install if I wanted.
    Can't beat that if he would do that, like my old Dad used to say the proof is in the pudding, you can have folks come out do a Manual D and Manual J and everything most Pro's here "say" they do, but even with all the manual D&J's and whatever other ones exist and own all the test equipment in the world, don't compensate for a good solid nice looking installation, you could still get a crappy installation and have the air flow good.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

That is pretty much how I was thinking. Company A is one I feel the most comfortable with. If he can explain why it appears the furnace on the estimate is different than the ARI reference sheet then they will probably be my choice. His solution to the lack of airflow in the bedrooms was to add a new supply line to each bedroom. For various reasons, I don't know if I want to do that, so I'm hoping he can offer other possible solutions.
    If it wouldn't be too nosy, I would like to ask ACobra289 what are the reasons you prefer not to add supplies to the back bedrooms. I am sympathizing as a homeowner who has also had temperature control problems in various rooms, and tried to address them.

Best of luck -- Pstu

Quote Originally Posted by pstu View Post
    If it wouldn't be too nosy, I would like to ask ACobra289 what are the reasons you prefer not to add supplies to the back bedrooms. I am sympathizing as a homeowner who has also had temperature control problems in various rooms, and tried to address them.

No problem ptsu. The 2 bedrooms in question are over the garage. Due to the layout of the garage area and having the garage doors open right under those 2 rooms, I think the placement of the new supplies would be limited in where they could possibly go. The new supply vents would probably have to be cut in the floor out away from the wall a little bit and I'm now sure how that would look. (Especially since they wouldn't match the other supply vents in the house.) Cost is also a factor. I am hoping we can find a more cost effective solution to running new supply lines. And lastly, I just put new carpet in those rooms and don't like the thought of cutting them up to put in floor vents.

I never said my reasons were good ones. lol I am not 100% opposed to the new supply lines, I just want to explore other options. But I assume new supply lines would be the best solution to adding airflow.

No problem ptsu. The 2 bedrooms in question are over the garage. Due to the layout of the garage area and having the garage doors open right under those 2 rooms, I think the placement of the new supplies would be limited in where they could possibly go. The new supply vents would probably have to be cut in the floor out away from the wall a little bit and I'm now sure how that would look. (Especially since they wouldn't match the other supply vents in the house.) Cost is also a factor. I am hoping we can find a more cost effective solution to running new supply lines. And lastly, I just put new carpet in those rooms and don't like the thought of cutting them up to put in floor vents.

I never said my reasons were good ones. lol I am not 100% opposed to the new supply lines, I just want to explore other options. But I assume new supply lines would be the best solution to adding airflow.
    Thinking out loud....
    Could you improve the envelope of those two rooms as opposed to forcing more air into them? Is there insulation separating them from the garage?

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    Thinking out loud....
    Could you improve the envelope of those two rooms as opposed to forcing more air into them? Is there insulation separating them from the garage?
    There is insulation between the garage and bedrooms, but I think there is room for improvement. When it was installed, there are a lot of places where it is pressed up fairly tight against the floor above. I guess they did this to make room for wiring to go through the joists. So it would probably help to put some new insulation over the old. It would be a big pain though having to work around all the wiring, pipes, and other obstacles. But it should probably be done at some point.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Often improvements to the ducts before the room over the garage ,are all that's needed.

Bottom line is, you need someone that can handle doing a Man J and D,even if that means s/he has certificates.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123