Thread: hydrogen furnace

Post Likes

hydrogen furnace

can a furnace run on hydrogen gas,if so how do i go about doing this.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    At this time, no.

And if it could.
    This is not a DIY site, so we wouldn't tell you anyway.

Post Likes
    nice

Post Likes
    It's a nice thought though, I'm sure someday someone will design a unit to run off of it

Post Likes

hydrogen furnace

i guess i will go to anther site then

Post Likes
    Hydrogen is a really small atom...the smallest one actually. Natural gas is mostly Methane, a molecule with a molecular weight about 16x that of Hydrogen. Guess which will leak easier.

Hydrogen mixed with air burns about 600F hotter than Natural gas....easily deforming & melting parts designed for a natural gas flame.

On a volume basis, Hydrogen yields 325 Btu/cuft, while methane yields 1008 Btu/cuft. Your hydrogen would need to be stored and delivered at a much higher pressure through the same size pipes, and orifices.....again leaking more.

Still modifying your furnace?

Post Likes
    Heat and Glo built a hydrogen fireplace, in order to be mass produced it would have a msrp of about 100K
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes
    Wow there is one. Too funny...

Creates 31,000 BTU. Requires 1/2 Gallons water / hour... oh and a 220 VAC 60A circuit.

Lets say it draws 44A @ 220 VAC = 9680 Watts = 32912 BTU spent making hydrogen for a return of about equal BTU's of heat from the flame. Oh..and you pay a sewage fee for the water this thing vaporizes.

I could see tree huggers taking home equity loans to upgrade to one of these, only so a coal burning plant has to be fired up for the 44A to power the hydrogen furnace.

100% efficient. Clever marketing.

Post Likes
    Like 100% of all hydrogen powered devices currently in existence, more energy would be consumed creating the hydrogen than would be recovered as heat from burning the hydrogen.

Post Likes
    Hydrogen is wonderfull clean fuel provided it is not made from buring natural gas at very high temp to crack additional natural gas CH4. And guess where all those c's go when they are liberated from the four H's. Up a stack along with all the oxides of nitrogen and co2 form burning the gas. Same problem with coal but now you get sulfer oxides, mercury oxides, and radioactive gasses. We are better off buring the coal and gas directly.

Hydrogen the answer to global warming, my a$$.

Post Likes
    Yeah you guys are right... Hydrogen is a wonderful fuel, and very easy to produce... but not cheap. Right now its just not cost efficient or eco friendly to produce hydrogen: ie burning fossil fuels to produce electricity to extract hydrogen from water.

I see the world being forced to develop nuclear power on a very large scale in order to alleviate our dependance on fossil fuels, which opens an even bigger can of worms.

But if you think about it... If we have to go nuclear, then why not just let homeowners have small nuclear reactors that will produce all of their heat, electricity and hot water? Hey how about nuclear powered cars?

The future is coming fast... don't rule out anything

Post Likes
    Self contained Portable Nuclear generator sounds good, kinda like a package unit I guess, where do I order one of these puppies? Will I have to have a EPA/NATE certified tech to be on stand by at all times to operate it for me or what?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
    Self contained Portable Nuclear generator sounds good, kinda like a package unit I guess, where do I order one of these puppies? Will I have to have a EPA/NATE certified tech to be on stand by at all times to operate it for me or what?
    ...and the occaisional visit from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission Dude

Post Likes
    Don't they already make a hydrogen furnace? It's called a fuel cell. Produces heat and electricity.......... oh and water.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by air-doctor View Post
    ...and the occaisional visit from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission Dude
    Only if you want to end up on a watch-list

But seriously, we need to think in the near term that hydrogen is a transportable version of energy. Its not automatically economical or clean. Its not something you drill for, or pump out of the ground, harvest, etc. Right now we must generate it from other sources.

In Japan select residences can lease a hydrogen fuel cell that generates electricity. But guess how they're generating the hydrogen...

Drum roll please...you also lease a natural gas to hydrogen converter. So what's the economic and environmental cost-benefit of that?

Post Likes
    How about a hydrogen powered bicycle...propelled by burning hydrogen, which is genrated by elcetricty from pedaling a generator. I'm sure there's a market for it.

I've figured a method to convert corn to electricity. If I eat 2.6 pounds (1000 calories) of corn, I can generate 305 Watts of electricity on a stair machine for one hour (while burning exactly 1000 calories). Lets see... see to run my 5 Ton AC, I would need 12 people pedaling and 310 pounds of corn / hour. This leads me to conlude that AC is a luxury only 1 in 13 can afford globally.

on a bike at 1000 cal/hour that would be about 19 MPH, for one hour or 61.5 miles per gallon of corn. Lookout Honda !!

Now I'm way off subject, but so were you guys.

Post Likes
    ok.. this will put you closer to the subject at hand

http://www.nrel.gov/hydrogen/proj_wind_hydrogen.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in