Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seer Confusion

Post Likes

Seer Confusion

I have a question. I was given a estimate for a Rheem Classic 3 ton 14 seer split ac system. I went with the estimate and saw that the condenser is a 13 seer. I called the contractor and told him that he did not give me what he estimated... he replied " I installed a 14 seer variable speed air handler and 13 seer condenser which is a 14 seer system". Is this correct? After looking on Rheem's web site I did not see 13 seer units. I thought 14 seer was the standard now? The contractor did not complete the installation yet, he still has to charge the system and tie in the duct work.

I looked into the serial #'s on the estimate which are

condenser-RANL-03JAZ
    air handler-RNSLHM3617

I then realized that the condenser # is a 13 seer that he had on the estimate but at the top in the job description it says 14 seer split A/C system.

What should I do?

Post Likes
    Just to add:

That's not a v/s air handler (has a PSC motor). Correct model numbers are RANL-036JAZ and RHSL-HM3617, too.

This system is rated at 13 SEER. ARI reference number: 683301. I'd speak with the installer about this if he told you the system was rated at 14 SEER. Ask him for proof (ARI certificate). Rheem rates this setup at 14 SEER, but I'd tend to trust ARI, which rates the systems.

Post Likes
    Use the ref number Ryan posted. Go to the ARI website. Enter that ref number, then double click on the rating, it will bring up a printable cert, show it to your contractor and then ask him.

Post Likes
    14 seer you will need:

RAPL-036JAZ
    RHSL-HM3617JA
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Use the ref number Ryan posted. Go to the ARI website. Enter that ref number, then double click on the rating, it will bring up a printable cert, show it to your contractor and then ask him.
    I updated my original post. Rheem rates this setup at 14 SEER for some reason. I'd still trust the ARI certificate, and I'd show it to the contractor as beenthere said. The OP says he was told that this was a v/s setup, when really the air handler has a PSC motor.

Rainman, I attached the ARI certificate for you. I just hope the dealer doesn't pull out Rheem's specs and show you that it's a 14 SEER system.

Post Likes
    I am a RUUD dealer have been for over 15 years and I know of any 13 seer condenser that will get you to 14 seer, I don't care what furnace or air handler you use unless he knows something I don't.

The match he is selling you is a 13 seer or 11.30 eer. and you can take that to the bank.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Thanks all for the responses and the certificate. That is a little strange Rheem would rate it 14 seer.

Thanks again.

Post Likes
    Middle of page 8 here: http://216.122.22.11/FetchDocument.a...e-cbb143ddb961

You'll see that Rheem rated the setup at 12.15 EER and 14.00 SEER--quite different from the American Refrigeration Institute (trusted for equipment ratings)'s rating. I just don't see how the 13.00 SEER unit going to 14.00 SEER without a premium (X13 or v/s) indoor unit, but who knows... The issue about him telling you that's a v/s blower is a whole other issue... Can you confirm the model number on the indoor unit?

Post Likes

One more thing

Is this something I should be putting up a fight about with the contractor. Or is what he is giving me "close enough"?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RAINMAN7 View Post
    Is this something I should be putting up a fight about with the contractor. Or is what he is giving me "close enough"?
    Well if you getting a 13 seer and paying for a 14 seer I personally would have a problem with that.

Post Likes
    Was variable speed noted on the estimate? Nevertheless, if you thought you were getting 14 SEER and ended up getting 13 SEER, I too would have a problem with that. Maybe he is confused about the air handler? Is RHSL-HM3617 the air handler that you have?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RAINMAN7 View Post
    he replied " I installed a 14 seer variable speed air handler
    RUUD/Rheem does not make a true VS Air handler that I personally know of, they do make a AH with the X13 motor that has a board in the AH with dip switches were the tech can field set the speed for the application, but it's still a fixed speed just more speeds available to set to marry it to your existing duct system.

Post Likes
    Mr. Bill,

I believe the Rheem RHKA/L series or Ruud UHKA/L series blowers use the ECM variable-speed motor. Someone can confirm...

http://216.122.22.11/FetchDocument.a...4-a842005a9145

Just FYI...

Post Likes
    If the contract says 14 SEER system, then you should be getting one that has an ARI rating of 14 SEER, or a refund.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Mr. Bill,

I believe the Rheem RHKA/L series or Ruud UHKA/L series blowers use the ECM variable-speed motor. Someone can confirm...

http://216.122.22.11/FetchDocument.a...4-a842005a9145

Just FYI...
    Dip switches for field setting of motor cfm's this is not a true VS motor IMO.

Post Likes
    That's true, but it does also say:

"Includes an energy efficient GE® ECM® Motor, which in
    most applications, enhances the SEER rating of the outdoor
    unit. It also slowly ramps its speed up for quiet operation
    and enhanced customer satisfaction.
    "

This led me to believe that it was variable speed. I see ECM mentioned, but not X13. I was trying to find somewhere in there that mentioned varying speeds to maintain airflow, but I couldn't. You might be right.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    It also slowly ramps its speed up for quiet operation
    and enhanced customer satisfaction.
    "

Personally, I think that only means the motor starts out slow and moves up slowly to dip switch setting for a quieter start up, some conventional motors take off like a F-16 jet and make a ton of noise on start up, maybe I am wrong but this is what I gather.

Post Likes
    The air handler # is

RHKL-HM3617JA

if this helps.

Post Likes
    Then that's a 14 SEER system with the ECM motor--different from what you put in the original post. ARI reference number: 683509.

Post Likes
    If I am reading that chart right linked by Ryan, the set up he gave me is rated @ 15 seer.

Is this correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in