Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seer Confusion

If the contract says 14 SEER system, then you should be getting one that has an ARI rating of 14 SEER, or a refund.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Mr. Bill,

I believe the Rheem RHKA/L series or Ruud UHKA/L series blowers use the ECM variable-speed motor. Someone can confirm...

http://216.122.22.11/FetchDocument.a...4-a842005a9145

Just FYI...
    Dip switches for field setting of motor cfm's this is not a true VS motor IMO.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

That's true, but it does also say:

"Includes an energy efficient GE® ECM® Motor, which in
    most applications, enhances the SEER rating of the outdoor
    unit. It also slowly ramps its speed up for quiet operation
    and enhanced customer satisfaction.
    "

This led me to believe that it was variable speed. I see ECM mentioned, but not X13. I was trying to find somewhere in there that mentioned varying speeds to maintain airflow, but I couldn't. You might be right.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    It also slowly ramps its speed up for quiet operation
    and enhanced customer satisfaction.
    "

Personally, I think that only means the motor starts out slow and moves up slowly to dip switch setting for a quieter start up, some conventional motors take off like a F-16 jet and make a ton of noise on start up, maybe I am wrong but this is what I gather.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

The air handler # is

RHKL-HM3617JA

if this helps.

Then that's a 14 SEER system with the ECM motor--different from what you put in the original post. ARI reference number: 683509.

If I am reading that chart right linked by Ryan, the set up he gave me is rated @ 15 seer.

Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by RAINMAN7 View Post
    If I am reading that chart right linked by Ryan, the set up he gave me is rated @ 15 seer.

Is this correct?
    Lets start over, forget the chart! forget everything! and just please list the "Correct Model" numbers of the outdoor unit and the indoor unit and then we can help you.

You can forget the chart.
    But the blower in that link is a ECM VS blower.
    If you look at page 6, you will see CFM/RPM tables.

PSC and X13 motors aren't listed at RPMs. They're just listed at Static pressures.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

You still need the full model numbers.

He seems convinced that the Air handler is the RHKL-HM3617. This air handler has the true ECM motor that varies it's speed to maintain a constant CFM, not an X13 motor. It will vary if On Demand Dehumidification are used or if a multi-stage condenser is used. It's as much an ECM as any other product with the exception of the mod90 furnace.

His outdoor unit is incomplete, we dont know if it's an RANL-030 or an RANL-036.

If it's the 030, the SEER is 14 with a respectable EER of 12.55
    If it's the 036, the SEER is 14 with an EER of 11.75

I'm assuming it's the 036 since in his original post he mentioned 3-ton 14 SEER.

Me too but last time I assumed.... you know the rest of the story.

Anyway, ARI is a third party watchdog... in either case it's a 14 SEER system. The hang tags (energy guide) list that particular unit as matched with the highest sales volume match. In the case of the RANL-036 it is most comonly sold with a coil only RCFL-HM3621JA which gives 13 SEER. This is why the energy guide is useless, the contractor should have known the customer would see it since he cant peel it off. He should have come prepared with the ARI certificate and the spec sheets.

Well if it a 14 seer with a RANL you know something I don't because I am looking at my RUUD specs sheet just given to me on May 1st and the UANL is a 13 seer period, I don't care what coil or air handler you match it up with, I see no match in my RUUD spec. sheet that shows any 13 seer condenser that will make a 14 seer using any air handler or furnace they sell, Rheem must have different specs.
    With RUUD you will need a UAPL to get you to 14 seer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12