Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Wall of Shame or Pride?

After spending many weeks reading through the forum and asking many questions, and interviewing at least 7 hvac companies, I followed the advice of the experts here; get a manual J and "it's all about the install". At the time I was looking, someone close by was looking for the same furnace, a Rheem/Ruud mod. He only had a furnace install while I had the furnace/ac install. The point is that he did not take the advice offered on the forum and paid 20% less for his install. The question is who got the better deal!
    I have included photos of each install. Photos with "A" in the top left corner are mine, and photos with a "B" are from his install. Both furnaces were set up as a mod with the correct thermostat. My installer suggested not putting in a humidifier and see how I like it this coming winter..he can always add it later and agreed to keep the price the same. He also put a humidistat in the furnace to work with the air conditioner which I understand is called Method B. (works great!). The air conditioner I purchased was a Ruud 14 seer APL-JAZ Series. Note that "A" install is very tight. On the recommendation of the installer I installed the furnace facing my north wall as opposed to reversing the position of the original furnace and face it into the room. The installer said it would look neater and would not affect his install or any servicing.
    I am looking forward to hearing your comments on the installs. Is "A" a better install than "B" or are they both equally good or bad.
    By the way "Thanks" to all the pros here who help answer our questions! It was a great help to have "outside consultants" working for me including Plexus!
    Attached Images Attached Images        

A. Has flex connectors, helps prevent noise from vibrations.
    A. Flue pipes inside are ran neater.
    A. Has an better ell into the air filter, should have less air flow restriction.
    A. Has a poorly installed condenser. Its too close to both walls.
    A. I've never been a fan of the straight out flue pipes, but it is in the manual to install like that.
    B. Doesn't look nearly as clean of an install.

He paid 20% less and didn't get a new A/C?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The condenser is kinda close to both walls. How will someone be able to field strip the cabinet to clean the coil?

Ruud calls for (on the UAPL condenser)...

24" clearance at service panel - check.
    6" clearance on 3 other sides - at least you have that on one, but I'm not sure about those other two--may want to measure to make sure.

The outdoor unit installation looks great other than the clearance issue.

Picture A7: Where is the condensate draining? Is that a black pipe attached to the PVC, or is it just draining to the floor? Can't tell 100% from here.

With all the 90's and 45's, I would hope that "A" is a 50K furnace.

I agree with the others.

A is an overall cleaner looking install. But B isn't too bad.

And the outdoor unit is very close to the walls. I would measure to see what it is. And maybe calling the contractor and asking them to move it away from the walls. I would say 12" minimum. At least that moves it away to allow for easier and quicker coil cleanings.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

IMO there pretty much equal as far as neatness of install except for the floor drain on B which is ok but myself would rather have either pvc or copper drain lines on the floor like install A has. Install B has more room to service than Install A does but if you would have taken the same pics of both installs it would make it easier to compare. Other than the out side vents and the drain there both good installs and shows paying less doesn't always mean you get a bad install.

Quote Originally Posted by billva View Post
    no doubt,bet he's close on the venting table if not exceeding.....probably why they are run straight out of wall....i never liked my vent too close to window........oh,and ac needs more clearance like others stated....all in all not bad looking jobs.
    jmo.

In case it's not clear

Your condenser is too close to (2) walls.

2/3 of the cond. coil will not receive the proper airflow.
    Check the instalation manual for proper clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Ruud calls for (on the UAPL condenser)...

The outdoor unit installation looks great other than the clearance issue.

Picture A7: Where is the condensate draining? Is that a black pipe attached to the PVC, or is it just draining to the floor? Can't tell 100% from here.
    The outdoor unit is about 8" from the walls.
    Picture A7: Condensate is draining into a PVC in the floor that was there for the previous (original) furnace. Line was blown out.

Quote Originally Posted by billva View Post
    Actually it is a 60k furnace and a 2 ton AC. I had quotes indicating anything upto a 75K furnace and for A/C 1.5 to 2.5 tons. These guys were the only ones that did the measurements throughout the house. I am not sure about "B" but I think it is a 75K- Installer did not do a Man J.

Quote Originally Posted by yazza View Post
    The outdoor unit is about 8" from the walls.
    I think the install manual calls for 6", I'd rather have 12" but that's just me. So ,it appers your good to go on that problem.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Return duct to air filter fitting is restrictive.I'd want the static pressure tested.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast