Most common piston compressor failure mode

What have you all found to be the most common failure mode of piston compressors: open windings, shorted windings, or locked rotor (seized piston or otherwise)?

burnouts,shorted windings,open windings. more locked rotor on scrolls.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

shorted and locked are the 2 i see the most.

Has anyone ever actually taken a compressor apart and repaired it?

sure, semi hermetics, not pots. its not feasible.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
    Has anyone ever actually taken a compressor apart and repaired it?

once in vocational school cut it open repaired broken wire on back side of terminals. took it to welding shop and had them weld it shut.

still running when i graduated.........

way to much work to do now and try to warranty your work.

also you would have to cut open a lot of trash before you found one you could fix.

Agreed on the not really feasible to repair part, I got my metabo out today and cut a dead Bristol 2 ton compressor apart, took about five minutes. I cut it right below the weld where the casing is lapped over just slicing thru the outside skin and leaving the inside with just a score on it. The top lifted right off. This puppy looks like it went thru a inferno on the inside lol, all the wires were melted together and or burned completely in two, the insulation was all brittle, the oil was blackened and filled with debris, man it smelled BAD. Very interesting stuff. I could not tell even where the wires were originally tied in. Total burnout would be the correct term I guess. The casing would easily MIG weld right back up but as mentioned this would not be a repair that anyone could warranty even if there were something simple like a loose wire that could be repaired. I was curious because it did not show any shorts to ground and had no continuity between terminals DUH all the wires were burned off LOL