Thread: Fix or replace Carrier Tech 2000

Post Likes

Fix or replace Carrier Tech 2000

Hi guys, the input I got here prompted me to go with a 2 stage Infinity system 3 years ago as a replacement. Now my other Carrier which is 14 years old, a "Tech 2000" with a VS handler has a cracked internal drain pan. I've been having my unit inspected twice a year, recently a month ago and I'm a little dissed because I think the tech should have seen some signs of wear. What's worse the water spilled over to the secondary drain (which also has a small crack) filled up to the brim and did not trip the float switch I had installed 3 years ago. Luckily we were at home to catch it.

To come to my question, should I fix or pay 10 times as much to get a new Carrier Infinity like my 3 year old one, with which I'm very pleased? I know we are not supposed to talk prices but can one of you Pros tell me whether there has been a large price increase on the Infinity since 05. Thanks again

Post Likes
    If the coil in the air handler is still available keep in mind that you will be installing an R-22 coil. Have the compressor and the other electronics carefully inspected because it would be unfortunate to see the unit go thru a major breakdown after making this type of expense. From what I am being told this is the last year Carrier is going to be making R-22 units.
    As far as the crack or source of leak was it in an area that could of been seen or was it in a hidden location? The only time that I begin to look for such things is when I see water staining around the airhandler or furnace or there is an indication of water. Also a secondary pan float switch should be checked every year during the yearly inspection and/or where there could be major issues if failure i would stress to the homeowner to test it once a month!

Post Likes

Tech 2000 life span?

Well it looks like the yearly inspection wasn't done well. When a run cap went slightly out of spec I was notified but obvious things that could cause serious damage like the switch were not!

Is there a strong likelihood that this unit will last 20+ yrs based on field experience? Anyone?

I think the coil would be available for several years to come, but not sure about compressor.

Post Likes
    Its 3 years later, I'm sure the units cost increased every year since.

The employees got raises.

Do you expect the installers to work for the same wages as 3 years ago.

Post Likes
    Price increases are not necessarily the rule. I did say LARGE. Also remember that we are supposed to be in a recession or approaching one...

Post Likes
    Our prices have not really gone up due to the PURE VOLUME of them we sell.You would not have gotten the INFINITY back then, more like PERFORMANCE series with a 2 stage compressor.The INFINITY fan coil and control were not out yet
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Post Likes
    Price increases are the rule, equipment goes up every year.
    Yep, were in a recession. If that gets the same model system in cheap, you got to wonder what corner they cut. I know Carrier has raised their price several times since 05.
    We may be in a recession, but if the have the same installers as in 05, they got raises.
    And doesn't mean that the company that installed your system in 05 is slow. They could be just as busy.

Only way your going to know, is to get the estimate.

Post Likes
    There has absolutely been an increase and Carrier has just announced another one coming real soon. The infinity is a great product and I (a Carrier dealer by the way) strongly recommend it. We are 18 months away from the end of new R22 systems. That's the "Large" price difference you should consider before just replacing the evaporator.

Post Likes

Canes...

My Infinity installed in Sep 05 was a 38YDB036/FE4 unit. So the fan coil has been improved since then? Any steps taken towards greater longevity/reliability in the current units (I know the cabinet of the outside unit is beefier). Canes.. have you seen many 20 yr Carrier units still running in your area? Thanks for all the replies.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Tin Plated indoor coils are now available ,in Florida that's all the sell now,other areas may be special order.

Tin Plated = longer life

Post Likes

Hi! Dash..

Well I decided to go ahead and replace and I've signed the contract to put in a 25HNA624/FE4ANF003 system 2 Ton Infinity 16. I'm in SC. SHould I look into the tin plated coils? I would assume that if available it costs more?

This is similar to our other Infinity system (3 yrs old) with which we've been happy. Hopefully the fan will be a little quieter than our other unit.

Appreciate any comments about the system match, it's not too late to change. Thanks.

Post Likes
    The cost isn't much,availibilty may be an issue ,if they don't stock them.

Post Likes
    All we get are tin plated coils. That's Carrier's fix to a leaking evaporator coil issues. The reason they gave is the two dissimilar metals(copper+aluminum) cause leaks within the warranty period. From my understanding they are all coming tin plated. Again all we sell are Puron(R410a) Infinity systems. I am not familiar with their R22 coils. You can check the model number of your e-coil to see if it is tin plated. The last letters of the model # should be ATA. Probably #CNPVT24ATA. I have seen a lot of 20+ year Carriers. Our company has been a Carrier dealer in GA since the early 80's. Piece of advice, Go with a factory authorized dealer not just some one who sells Carrier products. CFAD dealers meet training requirements specifically on their products. Good luck!

Post Likes

Thanks Canes

Yes my dealer is authorized. In fact he is also distinguished. Although I don't put much store in things like that. I learned the hard way to choose dealers wisely, with the Tech 2000 unit that I am now replacing which was botched in many ways when it was installed in 1994. Wonder it's still running after 14 years.

Post Likes
    Distinguished Dealer ,is a major accomplishment.

The only issue is it is earned for life ,so down the road it may not be the same company that earned.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in