Thread: Amana ASX16

Post Likes

Amana ASX16

We got a quote yesterday on an Amana 16 seer, 4 ton unit with new heat exchange. I just do not know if it is a good product. We live in Dallas, and our current unit is an 8 seer (dont know the tons). I would expect our electric bill this month to be around $450 and we keep our t-stat on 78/79 at night and 82 during the day. This unit is at least 10-15 years old that we have now(maybe even older), and I see that Amana has the 10 year parts and lifetime replacement limited warranty.

We have owned a home for 10 years now and this will be the only time we have had to invest money like this into a home, we just want to make sure that we are buying the right product for the right price. FYI the owner called us back today and said that the price he originally quoted was for a 13 seer in error, but that he would still honor that price for the 16 seer.

Is Amana a good product? I do not know if we can affort Trane/Carrier/Lennox. We have another guy coming tonight to give us an estimate as well.

We just want to replace the unit BEFORE it goes completely out. I got a lot of GREAT advice on here a couple of years ago when we were having problems and uses that advice in selecting someone to repair it. So I am hoping to get some more good advice.

Post Likes
    misty, the amana asx system is one of the best "bang for the buck" systems around. you can also get a limited lifetime warranty with amana. there will probably be some brand bashers along any minute to tell you how bad this or that equipment is, but if you have gotten a few bids, and you are comfortable with the amana dealer ,you will be fine. good luck!
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Post Likes
    Well we are a "young" family.........and just trying to make it along in this world, so really don't have "big" bucks to spend........thank you for honesty.

Post Likes
    The Amana units that start with "A" are a good product. Great value for the price in my opinion. Good warranty. Install is important, though, remember. G'luck with the replacement.

By new heat exchanger, do you mean you are replacing the heat exchanger in an older furnace? Best to have a furnace with a variable-speed blower for the ASX16. How old is the furnace? Might not be a bad idea to replace it now. If you aren't and it has no variable-speed blower, I'd step down to the ASX14. Maybe you meant new furnace.

Post Likes
    When you state you are getting a new heat exchanger, what are you referring to?

The ASX16048 unit is a two stage condensing unit that requires being connected to a matching indoor variable speed air handler of coil on matching variable speed furnace.

To benefit from the ASX unit, you must have matching indoor coil and blower.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    I was still typing when Ryan posted last. I agree that if you are not having a variable speed blower installed to go with the ASX14 series with matching indoor coil.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Yes. please clear up if your getting a new VS blower furnace/air handler also.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by smittyii View Post
    misty, the amana asx system is one of the best "bang for the buck" systems around. you can also get a limited lifetime warranty with amana. there will probably be some brand bashers along any minute to tell you how bad this or that equipment is, but if you have gotten a few bids, and you are comfortable with the amana dealer ,you will be fine. good luck!

Here I am. A certain group on this site is absolutely in love with Goodman/Amana. I am not. Since I give my opinion I'm called a brand basher. One guy even called me a liberal once.

I would install and did install something different in my house. Not because I wanted to spend extra money or have less of a warranty, but I wanted quality over cost. I sell Lennox, Goodman/Amana, and Carrier to commercial customers.

Many will state all the components are the same and just the cabinet is different. I disagree with this also. Different manufactures of the core items like contactor, capacitors, and compressors produce different quality of products. In other words an Amana is not the same as a Lennox that is just "packaged" differently.

Goodman/Amana have excellent customer service here in the Kansas City area.

The one thing everyone on this site can agree on is the need for a quality contractor that follows the manufactures installation instructions and start up procedures. It's better to have a properly installed Amana system then a hacked in Lennox.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Post Likes
    Hum......well maybe I misunderstood him. He said that the price included a new unit outside and upstairs in the attic.........I may have thrown in the word "heat" by accident. We have gas heat......

Post Likes
    Ok then, can someone refer me to a reputable company in the DFW area?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
    Here I am. A certain group on this site is absolutely in love with Goodman/Amana. I am not. Since I give my opinion I'm called a brand basher. One guy even called me a liberal once.

I would install and did install something different in my house. Not because I wanted to spend extra money or have less of a warranty, but I wanted quality over cost. I sell Lennox, Goodman/Amana, and Carrier to commercial customers.

Many will state all the components are the same and just the cabinet is different. I disagree with this also. Different manufactures of the core items like contactor, capacitors, and compressors produce different quality of products. In other words an Amana is not the same as a Lennox that is just "packaged" differently.

Goodman/Amana have excellent customer service here in the Kansas City area.

The one thing everyone on this site can agree on is the need for a quality contractor that follows the manufactures installation instructions and start up procedures. It's better to have a properly installed Amana system then a hacked in Lennox.
    Hey milkdud; not a bad post for a lennox loving liberal brand basher
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by misty View Post
    Ok then, can someone refer me to a reputable company in the DFW area?
    Do you not trust the company that is quoting you?

By "gas heat", do you mean a seperate system? Do you know if your cooling system is seperate from your heating system?

If the contractor is proposing an ASX16048 outdoor condensing unit and an AEPF4860 air handler for the attic, you are being quoted a very good system matchup for a really nice two stage cooling system.
    Training is important!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in