Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 58
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Starting to sound like buyers remorse. The contractor fulfilled his end of the contract. End of story.
    I thank you for all your comments but its not buyer remorse. I expected a workmanlike job and I don't believe I got one. My concern about the refrigerant lines being heated by its location next to the duct is obviously not an issue but the following are:

    The line may be exposed in the living room and the contract said it would be but the lines location prevents the vent cover from being replaced in the hole in the duct. So besides the lines there is a gaping hole in the duct and probably no room to build a box around them.

    They have left the soft copper lines exposed in the furnace room so that anyone who has to work under this duct or get to the other side to access: the water lines to shut off or turn on the water to the humidifier, get to the items on the shelves on the right in the picture, access the hot water heater which is due to be replaced as it is 14 years old, or clean the air cleaner which is directly below the duct and refrigerant lines is likely to hit their head on the duct and refrigerant lines because the distance to the floor was less than 5 ft under the duct before they installed those refrigerant lines.

    The electrical box outside that they installed for the service shutoff is not locked and the inner plate falls to the ground when the lid is lifted. There is no screw or lock of any kind to hold this inner plate in place. There is nothing to keep a child or my 3 year grandchild from touching the wire connections. The cover plate that is supposed to be over the wires falls to the ground when the lid is lifted. There is a swimming pool within 10 feet of this box as well and children swim in the pool.

    Personally I think this is shoddy work and it was done with this lack of care because I am disabled and was not able to inspect their work or watch what they were doing and they knew it.

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    If the line set is in contact with the metal ducting it can transmit noise throughout the house.
    I had the A/C on during the night and it is noisier than the one I had replaced that was 21 years old. The vibration of the vents is audible but fortunately not too distracting

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I don't think its buyers remorse.
    A case of not reading the contract close enough, and maybe not asking enough questions while the salesman was there.

    But if you look at the hole in the drywall, they didn't use a hole saw. Looks more like a hammer was used.

    The customer should be informed where the line set will be run, and how it will look when your going to leave it exposed in a finnished basement, and given options of paying to have it ran in different locations. Or the condenser relocated, and pay for running the electric different.
    It was a case of not reading the proposal carefully enough. The salesman did tell me that he would run the lines exposed and I told him I didn't want that because it would lower the value of my house. He said he's done it a number of times without a problem so I finally said OK. I had no idea that it would end up looking the way it does because I expected them to attach it neatly like the original lines were. They ran straight across without the 'waves' and were installed by the same company as did this work.

    I have hired very few people to do work on the house and when I hire someone with a good rep I expect a good job that is not going to cause problems in the future. Maybe when my husband was alive I would have been more forceful about what I wanted but I treat people who I hire as though they are professionals and will take care with their work. It's more my naivety than anything else.

    I knew about the lines running exposed but did not expect them to cover the vent hole in the duct so the cover couldn't be replaced, nor did I expect them to run the lines the way they did in the furnace room due to the fact it creates an obstruction for maintenance of everything else in there. I look at the duct and think they could have run the lines over the duct rather than under it but I may be wrong. However, the plenum where the new A/C is above the duct in the picture.

    Yes it was my fault for not pursuing the issue of what they were doing, but it is very difficult when I can't see what they are doing while they did it. I used to spot check any people doing work on the house but unfortunately unless they are working upstairs I no longer can.

    Thanks for all the info and help I appreciate it.

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by kbghdg View Post
    Exactly,
    I don't care how many plugged up TXV's i would have to replace. I'd much rather do that than have a line set running across my living space.

    I was told that the reason they had to use new lines was the difference in refrigerant from R22 to R410A.

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    21
    Thanks everyone for your help and comments. I chose this company to do the work because they installed the original A/C for the previous owner and they also installed our furnace 10 years ago for us. Both were neat, clean jobs without any problems. I had no idea they would be less than careful and respectful of my property.

    The electric box outside is a small thing but to me it says they were sloppy with the work they did not doing the finishing touches that others might have done. I am amazed that it passed inspection.

    Maybe my attitude to treat people who are professionals with respect and expect them to treat the inside of a person's house as they would their own. That's what I expect from a professional. Maybe I should have had more quotes from different companies, but the temperature was in the 90's and my health suffers in the heat. I had past experience with this company and expected the same kind of treatment I received in the past when my husband was alive.

    Thanks everyone for your comments, I appreciate all the opinions.

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Central Maryland
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg305 View Post
    Personally I think this is shoddy work and it was done with this lack of care because I am disabled and was not able to inspect their work or watch what they were doing and they knew it.
    Stop feeling sorry for yourself. I am able-bodied and I've had shoddy work done right while I was watching it.

    -HF

  7. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by hangfirew8 View Post
    Stop feeling sorry for yourself. I am able-bodied and I've had shoddy work done right while I was watching it.

    -HF
    no matter what it is still shoddy work

  8. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,168
    Quote Originally Posted by kbghdg View Post
    Exactly,
    I don't care how many plugged up TXV's i would have to replace. I'd much rather do that than have a line set running across my living space.

    Generally run a new line set when ever possible, but.
    Got a fair amount of R410A swap outs that are using the old R22 line set.
    Explain why they aren't causing any problems.

    If your really worried about it, install the filter drier at the TXV where its suppose to be.

    Not all manufacturers tell you to run new line sets.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,873
    My take on this is ,a contract is only good if it covers the home owner. We're only hearing 1/2 the story here. If the job isn't to your liking ,call them back. I won't call these guys hacks. I don't know the whole story,so I'll side with the contractor on this one.

  10. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    2,891
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    explain why they aren't causing any problem
    Uhh...Because you blew the crap out of it with nitro, maybe even used rx11 flush and ran a nitro purge while brazing.

  11. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Gold Coast of Connecticut
    Posts
    4,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Refer-Madness View Post
    Looking at the photos and what you're now saying about the contract, you got exactly what you paid for. As long as you're refunded for the parts you say the didn't use and the unit functions, I'm inclined to back the contractor.
    I agree, not a bad job at all.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Gold Coast of Connecticut
    Posts
    4,593
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg305 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your help and comments. I chose this company to do the work because they installed the original A/C for the previous owner and they also installed our furnace 10 years ago for us. Both were neat, clean jobs without any problems. I had no idea they would be less than careful and respectful of my property.

    The electric box outside is a small thing but to me it says they were sloppy with the work they did not doing the finishing touches that others might have done. I am amazed that it passed inspection.

    Maybe my attitude to treat people who are professionals with respect and expect them to treat the inside of a person's house as they would their own. That's what I expect from a professional. Maybe I should have had more quotes from different companies, but the temperature was in the 90's and my health suffers in the heat. I had past experience with this company and expected the same kind of treatment I received in the past when my husband was alive.

    Thanks everyone for your comments, I appreciate all the opinions.
    I do not think you got taken......look at the wall of shame to see bad workmanship.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

  13. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,168
    Quote Originally Posted by kbghdg View Post
    Uhh...Because you blew the crap out of it with nitro, maybe even used rx11 flush and ran a nitro purge while brazing.
    When I blow out a line set with nitro, I blow it from the indoor unit to the outside with a rag around the line to catch any crap that comes out.
    So there isn't going to be a bunch of crap in the lines.
    Flowing nitro while brazing prevents oxidation, it doesn't create it.

    I also flush from the inside when using RX11.
    Still don't have these clogged TXVs you talked about.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event