Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Unfortunately, many people find themselves in a bind when their A/C suddenly dies. And it can be hard to endure the heat and make a wise choice at the same time.

Where you only have to make choices about your HVAC system once ebery 15 years or so.
    As contractors, we do this pretty much on a daily basis. And should know better.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

Chase work should be include in the price. or a contractor to do the chase work should be recommended.

So do you commonly just run your line sets like this?
    It really doesn't matter how I would have run the line set.If I wanted to be a GC,then I would have . I have enough trouble keeping my own appointments,let alone a sheet rockers.What happens when the outside people drop the ball,and your customer complains about it to you?I wish I was the perfect contractor,but in reality ,NONE of us are.

If the outside contractor drops the ball, then they didn't use the contractor I recommend. And I would remind them they choose to use the wrong contractor.

Don't have to be perfect to be considerate.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Yea,OK.

Wow !!! I didn't expect this post to grow as it did.... But I have a question for the Dangling wrangler, You stated that this install looks ok to oyu and from reading your answers within this post I supspect you would do this type of install in your own home, YES ??? Or would you do a better job than these guys did for this OP, as beenthere stated that other epople will see this work and ask who did it and may or may not want to use the contractor who did the work. If this was your home I bet you would do a much better job than this, but as I see it these guys did not take the time to do the best job they knew how to do since it seems it didn't bother them that there work is a reflection of who and how they work. Me when I do something for my customers I do the best I know how and treat there home as if it were my own and most of the time I go above and beyound in most cases to make the customer happy and I know that when I leave there home that when they need service later on I know they are going to call me back. If I were in this line of work I would have tried to run this line some other way if at all possible and explain to the customer why it would be a better choice, in the service industry it's the little things that matter most to customers, but that's my opinion. I get the feeling that since it was written linset exposed and if you were doing this job you would have done the same type of work judging from your answer to the OP and others who have responded. Just remember your work is a reflection of who you are not only as a person but as a tradesman and wheather or not you care about the quaility and craftsmanship you poses.

I agree with you DanW13 I never expected this thread to be so long. I thank you all the dangling wrangler, beenthere and the others who answered my original post for giving me the information I need about my A/C.

I haven't figured which angle I will take with the company yet because I want to start out just asking questions about why the lines were run that way pointing out the problems to them. Starting off angry usually doesn't get anyone anywhere. That is the main reason I posted here, to find out what was acceptable and what wasn't so I'd have a better idea what I was going to say to them.

I hope to talk to the owner of the company rather than the one who dealt with me, and ask him to come and inspect the work that was done. Then if necessary I will escalate to things like "my neighbours have asked to see your work so they can decide if they will use you, do you want me to let them see it?" I have asked my son when he comes to take some more pictures showing the different connections more clearly and the lines over the vent in the duct. I will also ask about the electric box outside and if it should be covered with the plate. If the company asks I can always send them pictures of their handiwork.

The main problem with that gaping vent hole in the duct is that whoever is in that room will freeze because its in the basement and it is recommended that you block all basement ducts during the cooling season.

The day the original A/C was found to be broken was the first scorching day this year. Of course all the HVAC companies were wild with people like myself. It has cooled down this week to the 70's and has been raining most of the week so they shouldn't be as busy as they were then. We hadn't turned the breaker on until the day before the heat wave so hadn't checked to see if it was working. Last year it was fine, though it was not as cold as usual but I had no idea it was going to die at the start of the season.

Anyway thanks again all of you for your expertise and feedback. I had no problem with the gender switch because in most cases it would be a man posting here. I also took no offense at any of the other things because I realize you are answering tons of different posts and could easily forget details from one to the other.

You guys are great!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345