Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 58
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cedar Grove, Wi-Sheboygan
    Posts
    1,582
    I have to say I feel sorry for you because I feel you were in a way taken advantage of due to your incapacity of being in a wheel chair and unable to look the job over prior to final payment, also these installers are not someone you would want to call back just because they probably will take advantage of you in the future knowing your unable to look things over before they can leave your home, IMO they didn't treat this install as if it was there own home they were working on and did things the fast and easy way where if this was done in there home they definately would not have run this lineset that way in there family room !!!!! I would atleast call them back and ask them to work with you and see if there willing to move the lineset so it is not in the open like it is now, Atleast they may be able to find something to cover the lineset where it is now so atleast it is out of site and now in plain view. Good Luck !!!

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    21
    Thanks for all your help I think I will call them on Monday and get someone who knows what their doing out here to look at the job that was done.

    I forgot to mention something I found outside today when I got out to look at what they had done with the outside unit. There is an electrical connection on the wall above where the lines go into the house and I pulled up the outer cover and the plate covering the wires fell out on the ground. They said they were getting the electrical permit but I really wonder if this was inspected by anyone other than the very young salesman they sent to sell me the unit. I am going to raise H about that, because as far as I'm concerned the inner metal plate should be attached so it doesn't fall out of the little electric box it is in.

    I think I am going to use their "to be completed in a workmanlike manner according to standard practices" to try to get some satisfaction. I can also call the electric company or whoever is supposed to inspect these things.

    Yes they did take advantage of my inability and for that they should really feel some heat

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,677
    the lineset does look like crap there, but the other option would have probably been trashing your sheetrock on the existing soffit, this way a simple extention on the register takeoff on the trunkline and some 2x2 furring strips, sheetrock and paint will blend it in to the rest of the soffit. cheaper than re rocking the entire chase. I agree they probably could have done a neater job in the mech room though.
    You can't fix stupid

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,873
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW13 View Post
    I have to say I feel sorry for you because I feel you were in a way taken advantage of due to your incapacity of being in a wheel chair and unable to look the job over prior to final payment, also these installers are not someone you would want to call back just because they probably will take advantage of you in the future knowing your unable to look things over before they can leave your home, IMO they didn't treat this install as if it was there own home they were working on and did things the fast and easy way where if this was done in there home they definately would not have run this lineset that way in there family room !!!!! I would atleast call them back and ask them to work with you and see if there willing to move the lineset so it is not in the open like it is now, Atleast they may be able to find something to cover the lineset where it is now so atleast it is out of site and now in plain view. Good Luck !!!
    It says " T4A324 central A/C fully installed wiith permits and lineset exposed
    reconnect to existing Thermostat and Electrical"

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cedar Grove, Wi-Sheboygan
    Posts
    1,582
    Even though they said linesets exposed and the OP said he did not see that until after the fact due to the way the contract was written.... none the less I still feel they took advantage of his situation, and yes he probably should have questioned them, besides what does it take to knock a few holes into the drywall to run the lineset inside the soffit and have the customer do the repair work or hire someone either way I don't think he was given the option due to his disadvantage's

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    N.E. Ok.
    Posts
    1,370
    If the line set is in contact with the metal ducting it can transmit noise throughout the house.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,873
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW13 View Post
    Even though they said linesets exposed and the OP said he did not see that until after the fact due to the way the contract was written.... none the less I still feel they took advantage of his situation, and yes he probably should have questioned them, besides what does it take to knock a few holes into the drywall to run the lineset inside the soffit and have the customer do the repair work or hire someone either way I don't think he was given the option due to his disadvantage's
    Starting to sound like buyers remorse. The contractor fulfilled his end of the contract. End of story.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Arapahoe County, Colorado
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg305 View Post
    It says " T4A324 central A/C fully installed wiith permits and lineset exposed
    reconnect to existing Thermostat and Electrical"

    I guess I should have read that about 'lineset exposed' but I didn't see it until just now. The word 'exposed was on the next line with Parts and Labour Warranty. However, the lineset running under the duct in the furnace room isn't kosher IMHO because it leaves it exposed for people to damage where it is.

    They also charged me for a "pleanum" their spelling not mine, that they didn't end up needing because they couldn't get the original off the furnace so they did something else instead...they told me.
    They also said they would refund the cost of the plenum ..I'm waiting to see that on my credit card.

    On the bottom of the proposal is printed that "All work to be completed in a workmanlike manner according to standard practices"

    is this installation "standard practice"?
    Looking at the photos and what you're now saying about the contract, you got exactly what you paid for. As long as you're refunded for the parts you say the didn't use and the unit functions, I'm inclined to back the contractor.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Arapahoe County, Colorado
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW13 View Post
    Even though they said linesets exposed and the OP said he did not see that until after the fact due to the way the contract was written.... none the less I still feel they took advantage of his situation, and yes he probably should have questioned them, besides what does it take to knock a few holes into the drywall to run the lineset inside the soffit and have the customer do the repair work or hire someone either way I don't think he was given the option due to his disadvantage's
    How many line sets have you run?

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,117
    I don't think its buyers remorse.
    A case of not reading the contract close enough, and maybe not asking enough questions while the salesman was there.

    But if you look at the hole in the drywall, they didn't use a hole saw. Looks more like a hammer was used.

    The customer should be informed where the line set will be run, and how it will look when your going to leave it exposed in a finnished basement, and given options of paying to have it ran in different locations. Or the condenser relocated, and pay for running the electric different.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Posts
    18,836
    If the old line set is the correct size,reuse it!!

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    2,891
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    If the old line set is the correct size,reuse it!!
    Exactly,
    I don't care how many plugged up TXV's i would have to replace. I'd much rather do that than have a line set running across my living space.

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,876
    Another option we have used in the past (for replacing lines that are too small and cannot be re-used).......


    A few (2 maybe 3) holes in that soffit to gain enough access to get a new line in there can easily be covered up with a few, white plumbing access doors. They don't look bad and will continue to give you access in the future.

    With that being said, how does a salesman and a few installers fail to mention to the HO that the line is being run this way? Would they do that to their own home? If the HO says "knock out what you need to, I will have it fixed" then so be it....but since he is the HO it should be his choice as to how it gets run. Thats freaking nothing but being a lazy hack IMHO.
    I need a new signature.....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event