Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question Is Placement of HVAC Refrigerant Lines ok?

I had a new central a/c installed yesterday and because I am disabled I was unable to check what the installers were doing. I am concerned about the placement of the Refrigerant lines though the company I used is well respected and should know what they are doing.

The lines from my old A/C could not be used because the new unit has R410A refrigerant and the old unit was installed in 1987. The new lines were run into the basement between a window and a large heating duct and run along the heating duct to the furnace. The vent for the heating duct is directly below the lines and will blow hot air onto the lines and their insulation during the winter. As hot air rises I have no doubt they will receive a hot blast from the furnace when it is on. I think it is possible that the installers and salesman mistook the heating duct for a cold air duct as it is as large as a cold air duct.

My question is whether this placement will affect the refrigerant lines in any negative way. If so, how do you think I should deal with this problem?

thanks

Pictures would be a big help.

Thanks I'll get my son to take some later today and upload them if I'm able to.

Yea some pics would help.
    Its doubtful the heat will hurt the lines. Some line sets are exposed to 150*F+ temps in some attics.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

should be fine, unless there will be flames shooting out of those vents
    You can't fix stupid

Thanks LOL I hope there won't be flames Here are the pictures. The last one that shows the lines going through the furnace room make me wonder too because they will be exposed to anyone going into that area to clean the electronic air filter and get at the water heater.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Hacks
    I need a new signature.....

I would have looked for another way to run that line set, just for appearance.
    The heat won't hurt it.
    But that, well, that just ain't right.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Hacks
    Yep...................thats the best that could have been done with the line set?

On the other side of the heating duct is the electric panel that runs from the duct to the side wall. The original lines ran into the far side of the electric panel and along the wall/ceiling to the furnace room. The area was finished after the installation of the original AC in 1987. They said they couldn't use the old lines because of the difference in refrigerant and my research supports that. However, they did make a mess in the room and I'm concerned about the furnace room and crimping of the lines by someone who is in there to clean to air filter. Copper does distort very easily IMHO.
    Should I call them and raise H**?

Quote Originally Posted by dbg305 View Post
    On the other side of the heating duct is the electric panel that runs from the duct to the side wall. The original lines ran into the far side of the electric panel and along the wall/ceiling to the furnace room. The area was finished after the installation of the original AC in 1987. They said they couldn't use the old lines because of the difference in refrigerant and my research supports that. However, they did make a mess in the room and I'm concerned about the furnace room and crimping of the lines by someone who is in there to clean to air filter. Copper does distort very easily IMHO.
    Should I call them and raise H**?
    What was written in the proposal? You did get one? Chances are, if it wasn't in the proposal,it's not gonna get done as a no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    What was written in the proposal? You did get one? Chances are, if it wasn't in the proposal,it's not gonna get done as a no charge.
    It says " T4A324 central A/C fully installed wiith permits and lineset exposed
    reconnect to existing Thermostat and Electrical"

I guess I should have read that about 'lineset exposed' but I didn't see it until just now. The word 'exposed was on the next line with Parts and Labour Warranty. However, the lineset running under the duct in the furnace room isn't kosher IMHO because it leaves it exposed for people to damage where it is.

They also charged me for a "pleanum" their spelling not mine, that they didn't end up needing because they couldn't get the original off the furnace so they did something else instead...they told me.
    They also said they would refund the cost of the plenum ..I'm waiting to see that on my credit card.

On the bottom of the proposal is printed that "All work to be completed in a workmanlike manner according to standard practices"

is this installation "standard practice"?
    Last edited by dbg305; 06-20-2008 at 11:22 PM. Reason: additional information

It looks like it can be re routed.But as far as getting it done at no charge... Too bad you couldn't have caught this before they hooked everything up. It's possible they would move the lines for free but,not probable. You could build a small fir down around the exposed lines,but under the ducting,that's another story. As far as the heat affecting the piping,I wouldn't loose any sleep over it . Good Luck .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast