Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused Expertise Needed!!!

I have read many of the posts trying to get a sense of which brand of unit people prefer. My unit is approaching 12 years old and want to do a full replacement. I was given several quotes which ranged from xxxx to almost xxxx for a 3.5-4.0 ton unit for varying brands of HVAC. Since, I don't have any experience in HVAC I don't know which is the best buy. I read in one of these posts not to go to the lowest cost servicer but I don't want to get ripped off either.

I am inclined to go with a Goodman unit because it seems like the best bang for my buck but I want to get a little more information from those of you that have actual field experience and those who know the products the best. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

>>>Pricing Removed<<<
    Last edited by ARPA; 06-19-2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: removed pricing

The best system for your needs is always going to be the one designed and installed correctly. Normally a heat load calc. takes place and the right capacity unit is installed correctly. End of story.

Assuming all the above was done, we continue:
    I personally don't care for goodman units at all. Some people like them due to their low cost, I see poor quality. Those are just opinions. If you are looking for bang for your buck Rheem / Ruud is your best bet. If you have any special conditions (ultra low temp, humidity removal, zoning, variable speed etc..) YOU need the big boys. Carrier, Lennox and Trane (american standard) are the front runners for systems 5 ton and below.

A note to the editors, York will not be mentioned in my reply, sorry for the inconvience.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip 2 my lou View Post
    The best system for your needs is always going to be the one designed and installed correctly. Normally a heat load calc. takes place and the right capacity unit is installed correctly. End of story.

I personally don't care for goodman units at all. Some people like them due to their low cost, I see poor quality. Those are just opinions. If you are looking for bang for your buck Rheem / Ruud is your best bet. If you have any special conditions (ultra low temp, humidity removal, zoning, variable speed etc..) YOU need the big boys. Carrier, Lennox and Trane (american standard) are the front runners for systems 5 ton and below.

A note to the editors, York will not be mentioned in my reply, sorry for the inconvience.

You'll find that what he says is generally the consensus. Not everybody agree's, but they can have their opinions from what they're comfortable with. People all have certain equipment which they know a lot about and know a lot about others. it's just a matter of who sells what. I always just tell people to stick with what they know and find a good dealer for them. Probably somebody who has sold a certain brand for a while. Like 5+ years. It's not a 100% guarantee, but something to work with.

I agree.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

The installation, duct system & airflow are critical to any Brand.

Most of the components come from the same mfg'ers, Goodman, Amana & Rudd, there all good to go.

I am retired, but if I installed a Goodman unit it would cool as well any, & last as well as the others. The basic component performance engineering is very similar between the brands. Look at the guarantees.

I won't recommend any Brand over another, its the consumers' choice.
    - Darrell

If you have any special conditions (ultra low temp, humidity removal, zoning, variable speed etc..) YOU need the big boys. Carrier, Lennox and Trane (american standard) are the front runners for systems 5 ton and below.

I agree with all you said, except for the above quote. Those "special conditions" can also be met by Rheem/Ruud, Goodman and yes, even York.

Come on

[QUOTE=udarrell;1897341]
    I am retired, but if I installed a Goodman unit it would cool as well any, & last as well as the others. The basic component performance engineering is very similar between the brands. Look at the guarantees.

I agree with most accept, longevity of unit. Goodman will not last as long as one of the name brand manufactors. We sell both and see a difference in built. I hate plastic condensors
    Do it right the first time.

It's hard to beat a Coleman.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by billva View Post
    I agree with all you said, except for the above quote. Those "special conditions" can also be met by Rheem/Ruud, Goodman and yes, even York.
    Show me a zone system that compares to the harmony or infinity for one of the other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    It's hard to beat a Coleman.

You got me there, but's that's hittin' below the intelect.

You got me there, but's that's hittin' below the intelect.

Yea it probably is for one of those VM "Extreme" Techs.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

[QUOTE=Mr Bill;1897405]It's hard to beat a Coleman.

No no its not I do it all the time.

As far as proof that one brand will last longer then the next at your house. There is none.

You will get personal opinions. You may follow one of those opinions, and that unit may last 20 years, or die in ten.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast