so now that the one circuit on this trane chiller is back up and running, I hacked apart the second burned out circuit. Man what a beautiful wreck (shawn mullins song for fans of ecelectic New Orleans/Austin music). The orange pink muck is still dripping out of the evaporator 3 hours after I cut out the old TEV and drier.
I put a tube on into a bucket and blew from 2000 to 1500 lbs. on my nitro tank and did get maybe two ounces, but the bottom of the pipe is still got a little meniscus(sp?) or arc of oil maybe a couple mm deep. If I want to blow continuously for a while to get whatever I can, I'm thinking I need to change over to an air compressor and then when I'm done I could flow some nitro through the system to displace air and then I'll be flowing nitro for brazing/soldering anyway, and then a triple evac.
Is it just plain a bad idea to introduce more than the atmospheric air I already have by cutting the thing apart since it has no isolation valves (of course it will have isolation valves when I get done with it), or would this be a reasonable way to flush a little bit more of the bad crap out before going over to reliance on my new suction bucket filter (with isolation valave and schrader taps for convenient monitoring and replacement of element).
Or is what I have done as 'sufficient' for getting the bulk of the junk out and you assume that a few mm coating on the bottom of evap pipes (don't really know about the condensor end, got maybe a few ounces gravity drip out of the high side and relatively little drip out of the liquid line side of the drier, not even an ounce) is the reason that you put the suction acid filter on in the first place. just get the damn thing together and let the filter do the work?
(I know if I had been really careful during compressor removal and if i could get specs for the original oil charge and assume that nothing changed during the last TEV replacement then I could theoretically dump out the compressor and assume that the extra pound I got in the refrigerant recovery tank over the normal r-22 charge is oil and then add all that up and subtract from original charge and I could actually estimate whether I have any 'quantity' left in the system but the compressor had no drain, so I had to yank this 90 or 100 lber out as is and I can't say I kept complete control of the oil charge during this maneuver so I'm flying bline, believeing that I got the vast majority but there is this ugly nuclear looking deposition that makes me nervous -- maybe I'm just nervous by disposition.)