Mini-Splits in Residential

Red face Mini-Splits in Residential

I don't see many posts discussing mini-splits for whole home heating and cooling, and I was wondering the feasibility of using a mini-split system in a ranch style home of about 1000 square feet with three bedrooms and one bath. The home currently has an older oil furnace and to convert to a split system heat pump would require a major electrical upgrade to handle the additional amperage required to run the heat pump, as well as the costs of the heat pump and modification of existing duct work. With a mini-split system, no electrical upgrade would be needed and the oil furnace could be retained for auxiliary heat when needed.

Does anyone on this forum have an opinion and/or recommendation? Specifically, I would like feedback as to the advantages/disadvantages of using the mini-split.

Quote Originally Posted by drwillie View Post
    Does anyone on this forum have an opinion and/or recommendation? Specifically, I would like feedback as to the advantages/disadvantages of using the mini-split.
    The biggest disadvantage is a great big A/C unit taking up a chunk of wall space. Some people don't care, but it is a cosmetic difference that many are not used to.

I've seen mini-splits advertised with up to 3 zones (or indoor units) hooked up to a single outdoor unit. However the local guys are not familiar with this setup and usually quote matched pairs. I'd say the biggest challenge is getting a contractor that has actually done a whole-house system like yours. Ask for like system references.

-HF

Quote Originally Posted by hangfirew8 View Post
    The biggest disadvantage is a great big A/C unit taking up a chunk of wall space. Some people don't care, but it is a cosmetic difference that many are not used to.

I've seen mini-splits advertised with up to 3 zones (or indoor units) hooked up to a single outdoor unit. However the local guys are not familiar with this setup and usually quote matched pairs. I'd say the biggest challenge is getting a contractor that has actually done a whole-house system like yours. Ask for like system references.

-HF
    I have read that the mini-split units provide more usable BTUs because there is no heating/cooling loss due to duck leakage, but would air distribution be an issue if there were only one or two wall units for the entire house?

Quote Originally Posted by drwillie View Post
    I have read that the mini-split units provide more usable BTUs because there is no heating/cooling loss due to duck leakage, but would air distribution be an issue if there were only one or two wall units for the entire house?
    Probably. That's why I mentioned 3-zone systems.

Imported mini-splits are often more efficient simply because they are more technologically advanced.

-HF

Electrical upgrade might still be needed

If the house needs 3 tons of cooling, a 2 ton mini-split still needs 20-30 amps of 208V power. You might find 1 ton 120v units, but then you 'll need several for the home. 3 or
    4 mini-splits installed will probably cost more then a single conventional split system

Quote Originally Posted by johnsp View Post
    If the house needs 3 tons of cooling, a 2 ton mini-split still needs 20-30 amps of 208V power. You might find 1 ton 120v units, but then you 'll need several for the home. 3 or
    4 mini-splits installed will probably cost more then a single conventional split system

Thats true, I installed a 1 ton lG and the entire system pulls 6.5 amps. That sounds really good, and it works really well. Until

26 amps.................ouch