+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Steak Is Best??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by d_griff View Post
    man im starved.
    Jims, Tony Lukes, DeNofa's, Johnny's. Steves, All great places.
    Dude, your killin me here.............I'm gettin fatter just reading that.

Post Likes
    Any Prime cut of beef is good, some better than others. Most of the beef in stores is select, which is one grade above canners&cutters (soup meat) look for alot of marbling, get a good hot charcoal grill, wipe it's ass knock off it's horns and run it through the fire.

I like em rare, don't mind if they kick a little as long as they don't bellow

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bustawrench1 View Post
    Dude, your killin me here.............I'm gettin fatter just reading that.
    You gotta Email me if your ever working in the city. I'll buy you a good one.
    Even though i dont work in the city every day, But most of the time im there.
    Theres a gaetanos on RT73 by the fox meadow apartments in Maple Shade if im not mistaken.

Post Likes
    You gotta Email me if your ever working in the city. I'll buy you a good one.
    Even though i dont work in the city every day, But most of the time im there.
    Theres a gaetanos on RT73 by the fox meadow apartments in Maple Shade if im not mistaken.
    Will do.............

I'm supposed to be up at Princeton University for the next month or so running pipe, but if I get a job in the area, I'll let you know.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpb2 View Post
    Hey Andy, would enjoy a meal with you if you had time I could meet you in Ste. Genevieve or Kimswick.
    We could invite mrs reb. Me and the missus are planning a road trip the first half of August. Might make it in the Denver area mid-August. I don't visit the above towns too often. I assume a fine steak establishment in either area?

Post Likes
    Will be there for the convention just thought a meeting would be cool beforehand. I grew up in Webster and have been down here since. If you get out and travel for work where do you visit ? Yes the above have a good menue but a beer and white castles works for me as well. As you have time let me know when your schedule is open. Take care, Jeff
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bustawrench1 View Post
    I used to go to the one on Pennypacker Dr, about an 1/8 of mile off 130.

I lived up the road a bit in Cooperstown Apts on Cooper St, almost 20 years ago. Used to make munchie runs there as often as we could find somebody sober enough to make the run. Killer cheese steaks, great hoagies..........only problem was it takes 3 people to eat one.

They've got one near me, in Berlin. Never been there, heard it's good.......I think I just came up with the plan for dinner tonight!

i grew up in edgewater park........

back in my glory days i could polish off a large cheese steak hoagie by myself....

had to do it on a weekend cause there was no way i could go back to work after that..........

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    i grew up in edgewater park........

back in my glory days i could polish off a large cheese steak hoagie by myself....

had to do it on a weekend cause there was no way i could go back to work after that..........
    Yes that is the downfall.
    I hit Abner's steaks up the other day at lunch at 38th and chestnut, They have great steaks but after i was done i didn't even want to leave the booth let alone finish working on the heat pump i had to look at next
    Its rare i eat a big lunch but when your working on a roof next to a place thats known for great food, The exhaust fan smell pulls you right in

Post Likes
    Ribeyes or porterhouse are may favorite

The key is to undercook them slightly, take them off the grill and let them rest 10 minutes covered.

We used to eat sirloins once a month when I was a kid, it's all we could afford then. We used to fight over the fat - Dad usually won.

Post Likes
    I thought I'd let ya'll know, I had never had a porterhouse steak until I had one on the recommendations I have read on this thread.

On the rare occasions I went to a steak house, a porterhouse either wasn't offered or was above my budget. Butchers are few and far between so I have to buy most of meat from a local grocery store that does a pretty good job but I don't recall seeing that cut there either.

My church men's ministry had a 'Meat at the Church' and we all brought meat to grill and just hang out together. Dudes being dudes was a good way to describe it. I went to a butcher and bought a porterhouse steak for this event. WOW!!!! THAT WAS GOOD!!!!!

I had the steak in some marinade when I took it to the chuch and when I got it out of my truck, some of the marinade spilled across my seat and floor. Now my truck smells like steak. All in all, not a bad outcome.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

Post Likes

i get the THICK cuts of ribeye from the butcher

there about 2 inches thick

preheat grill to 550 degrees, coat steak heavily with Pappy's sissy sauce

slap steak on grill both sides loaded with the pappy's sissy sauce

4 minutes on 1 side recoat with sauce

flip steak, 4 minutes on the other side recoat with sauce

flip steak, 4 minutes on the other side recoat with sauce

flip steak 4 more minutes and its done to medium rare perfection!

trust me homeboys and girls its the mac daddy of all bad ass steaks

enuff said!

Post Likes

Pappy's sissy sauce

Call me a pappy sissy but i cant eat a steak with pink in it. I prefer it charred but i know this takes away the juice. So i know how to cook them where the pink is gone but its still tender and juicy.
    So whats that sauce all about?? spicy tangy????

Post Likes
    No name calling here . You like what you like, A good cut of beef cooked over 125 degrees for me is a waste of a steak
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes

Strip Loin

Don't overlook a nice Strip Loin trimmed close and cut thick, oiled with rosemary and salt done over lump charcoal. Sometimes you can't do better than homemade.

Post Likes
    Call me a pappy sissy but i cant eat a steak with pink in it. I prefer it charred but i know this takes away the juice. So i know how to cook them where the pink is gone but its still tender and juicy.
    So whats that sauce all about?? spicy tangy????

Sear the outside in the grill then microwave in a covered dish. Since the microwave cooks from the inside out this should work well for you. Also let it "rest " for 10-15 minutes before carving

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Schoen View Post
    A finely grilled filet mignon with a bacon strip around it, and a fine cabernet sauvignon to go with it.

But ribeyes and a two buck chuck will work in a pinch.
    Das ist schoen...

Roy
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
    George Orwell.

Post Likes

Sear the outside in the grill then microwave in a covered dish. Since the microwave cooks from the inside out this should work well for you. Also let it "rest " for 10-15 minutes before carving

a good peice of meat in the microwave ought to be against the law

the pappy's sissy sauce, go ahead and laugh at the name

but its a sweet/hickory flavor sauce!

Post Likes
    No sauce belongs on a good piece of meat. He wanted a solution to no pink in beef ( BLASPHEMY ) I provided it.

Post Likes
    We do it a bit different here in the Natty as far as cooking the steak, which I'll get to in a minute. As far as selection goes imo the FM is the king of all cuts and is best and cheaper if bought in the loin form for around 97 dollars at the butcher. You can cut your own from the loin for dinner and put the rest in the fridge or freezer for later.
    Back to cooking...I take a BI skillet heavily coated with grape seed oil and super heat it direct over coals for 10 to 15 minutes. After seasoning the steaks with Bad Byron's Butt Rub and other seasonings I take the skillet off direct heat and add the steaks to the hot pan over indirect heat. In place of the skillet over the hot coals I place a wood chip pan with Apple or Cherry wood chips. Five to ten minutes a side will do depending on how you like your moo cow done.

Post Likes
    No sauce belongs on a good piece of meat. He wanted a solution to no pink in beef ( BLASPHEMY ) I provided it.

I have my solution.. Cook it longer.
    I'm usually pretty good, I would say 90% of the time i keep it juicy and perfect, With the occasional overcook, You need a rubber steak once in a while.
    It is easier to cook a thin steak well without overcooking it, When i try to cook a thick steak well i have to butterfly it. So i prefer a nice thin steak

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in