Expertise Needed!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You're replacing a working unit

I have a 14 yr old unit that needs minor work (see other post if interested). I'm wondering if I should replace just because it's 14 yrs old. In your case it looks like your unit is still giving service. May I ask what prompts you to replace?

Quote Originally Posted by gmahler View Post
    I have a 14 yr old unit that needs minor work (see other post if interested). I'm wondering if I should replace just because it's 14 yrs old. In your case it looks like your unit is still giving service. May I ask what prompts you to replace?
    Can't speak on their behalf, but think about it, it's old, probably has cost a buck or 2 in the last few yrs, and why not upgrade to a better unit before it breaks than have to jump on the 1st system you can get when its 110 and the system you really want is going to take 3 days to get.
    You can't fix stupid

Personally I am not a fan of goodjunk either... I sell allot of trane 16 and 19 seer systems with the clean air effects... It just all boils down to how long are you going to live there... And if you want to be happy with what you are getting...

First off, did any of the contractors run a manual j on your house so that you get the right size unit? They should not just go off of square footage or the size you have now as capacities may vary.

Second, it is much more important to get a quality contractor than any certain brand. Ask your friends and neighbors who they use and how happy they are with them. Ask for refrences. Any brand, if installed wrong can cause problems through its lifetime. Also any brand installed properly will give you years of good service.

The main reason that Goodman gets a bad rap in my opinion is that they will sell to almost anyone and many are not installed properly. The right contractor will make the install work properly and give you years of service.

Good luck in your hunt for a new system. Use this board for any questions you have. There is a vast wealth of knowledge here.
    Its a good Life!

Reason to replace?

Quote Originally Posted by gmahler View Post
    Ditto that except my 35 yr old system is working well. I too am interested in your reasons to replace. Savings? Reliability? Comfort? Fear of an imminent demise of the current system?

Smile Thanks for the replies

Everyone,

thanks for all of the replies. I get the overall sense that installer competancy is more important than which brand I actually decide on. I will keep my eye on this thread for a few more days so please chime in if you think otherwise or even if you want to add to this discussion. Any information provided is appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12