Hybrid View

Confused asx16 amana 4 ton

Does anyone have experience with this unit, is it a good reliable product?

Quote Originally Posted by edavis10100 View Post
    I have the 3 ton unit and same series and it works very well. I had it installed this past March. The important thing is the install though if this is what you are considering to purchase. I had a few issues with my install but thanks to the people here all was cleared up. My system works great and we stay nice and cool now.

They have a very good warranty and I also got a 10 years parts and labor included.

Quote Originally Posted by edavis10100 View Post
    It sure is a nice looking condenser.

If it were me getting a new system, first, I would do everything possible to bring the heat-gain down. This will save on utility bills both summer & winter.

Then, I would have a manual J heatload calc down.

If you can figure out a way to make a 3-ton system work with a larger tonnage evaporator coil, many times it is difficult to get enough airflow-heatload through the indoor coil for those larger 4-ton condensers' where you can properly load a smaller tonnage condenser.

A lot of residential duct systems were never sized to properly load a 4 or 5-ton coil. If it only has 3-ton of psychrometric charted airflow through the E-Coil, then it won't absorb & move 4-ton to the outdoor condenser.

Edit: "Well, it looks like the low stage is about 3-ton, therefore, it all depends on what the load calc says."

It is a sizable investment so I would take my time & get everything right, especially the duct system & airflow.

What kind of climate do you live in, hot & humid or hot & dry? What size unit are you replacing, etc.? - Darrell
    Last edited by udarrell; 06-19-2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Low stage looks like 3-ton

I have seen some non bleed of the txvs on some of their coils be an issue, but only on heat pumps.