Thread: Ideal Filter

Post Likes

Ideal Filter

I tried searching the forum, but I was unable to answer my question.

It was brought up that the spun blow fiberglass economy filters are not quite idea because they let some dirt through that could get to the cooling coil. I guess this could be solved by making sure you have your unit serviced each year so everything is cleaned out.

But what filters out there are a good replacement for these filters? My ideal replacement would not be very restrictive on airflow, be easily available, and reasonably priced.

Post Likes
    I use NaturalAire Standard pleated filters, MERV 8 (not too restrictive), made by Flanders. $8 for a 3-pack at Home Depot. I change 'em monthly even though the package states that it will last "up to 3 months". Keeps the evap coil nice and clean compared to spun fiberglass.

Good luck.

Post Likes
    merv 7or 8 in a tight rack would do the job.

merv 10 5" wide in a cabinet would be even better.

Post Likes

MERV??

What's MERV mean? Only Merv I know of is Merv Griffin. And what do you mean by tight rack or cabinet? Mine slide in to a slot the installer made and then a plate goes over the top with a wing nut on it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by perrybucsdad View Post
    What's MERV mean? Only Merv I know of is Merv Griffin. And what do you mean by tight rack or cabinet? Mine slide in to a slot the installer made and then a plate goes over the top with a wing nut on it.
    MERV = Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value. It's a rating system.

http://www.filterair.info/articles/a...A98EE04B0DD02B

Post Likes

I use a 12 MERV Nordic Pure

not near the pressure drop as with 3M Filtrete+keeps coils clean. Even in far bathroom, it blows up a zephyr.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by perrybucsdad View Post

as Gary said merv is the way filters are rated.

by "tight rack" i mean a properly installed filter rack that will hold the filter in place without letting air get around it.

a "cabinet" is what we install for all of our higher end 5" media filters to slide into.

Post Likes
    Your theory that the "cooling coil" gets cleaned with yearly maintenance is in-correct. That is not part of regular maintenance, it is something that is done once it is too late. To properly clean the coil, it would have to be removed, which means the refrigerant would have to be pumped down and a vacum pulled, filter drier installed, you get the picture. Cleaning the evaporator coil is not Maintenance, it is a Repair. Just use a decent filter and you will not have to worry about this. Stay away from "washable" or "lifetime" filters, and just use common sense, if it looks like something you can throw sand through, don't buy it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    I use NaturalAire Standard pleated filters, MERV 8 (not too restrictive), made by Flanders. $8 for a 3-pack at Home Depot. I change 'em monthly even though the package states that it will last "up to 3 months". Keeps the evap coil nice and clean compared to spun fiberglass.

Good luck.
    Same here Gary,Naturalaire is the only filter I recommend or install to the homeowner.80% of the time I install the honeywell f-200 filtration system.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in