Heating in Vents

I'm looking into lowering the electrical bill for a dinner hall of about 7000 sq.ft. Currently all the heating comes from electrical wall mount heaters. There are two air conditioning units for the building. Someone mentioned to me about putting some sort of heaters in the vents. I'm not too familar with this, can anyone shed some light on this for me? Or if there are any other suggestions for heating a hall more efficiently. Thanks

You could put electric strip heat in the ducts but you would have to add in the electrical cost of running the fan. They work like toasters.
    Electric heat is 100% efficient. Only trouble with that is it's cost.

Find out in your area what fuels are available that might be cheaper. Forget oil.
    If that's not doable you could change out the a/c units for heat pumps and that might be the cheaper. Heat and cool with the same units.
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

Wink Considered ceiling paddle fans....

You could put electric strip heat in the ducts but you would have to add in the electrical cost of running the fan. They work like toasters.
    Electric heat is 100% efficient. Only trouble with that is it's cost.

Find out in your area what fuels are available that might be cheaper. Forget oil.
    If that's not doable you could change out the a/c units for heat pumps and that might be the cheaper. Heat and cool with the same units.

Electric Heat Strips:
    The required BTU's to effectively heat the area would not be changed by ducted locations....required BTU's are required BTU's period. How-ever, the distribution of the conditioned air could be improved by this consideration and there-by take less time to satisfy set point. This could save money by not having to stay in the heating demand mode as long.
    Heat Pumps:
    Heat pumps work well when applied to single zone applications. Problem here is that you have 7,000 sq. ft. of area to condition the air for. Adding 2 pumps (1 primary + 1 stand-by; the piping and equipment and controls would be initially expensive and the payback would take a few years. I myself like the heat pump theory better than the ducted heat strips. Energy costs are going to skyrocket no matter what you do.
    I might suggest the heat pump idea but utilize solor panels to maintain the typical 70-90 degree water temp required.
    Sounds like distribution of the conditioned air is the main concern here assuming the engineering loads are adequate.
    Heck, sometimes just adding a few ceiling paddle fans to keep the heat layers well distributed can help alot especially if the space has high ceilings. (It's 90+ degress at the ceiling level to maintain 70 degrees where you sit.) Grabbing that extra 20+ degrees of heat and pushing it back down can save load time,be more efficient and having a few paddle fans slowly turning can add a touch of class and charm while you carve into a char-broiled steak and sip away on a cariff of red wine.
    Take some temperature readings at the high point levels of the space and compare to the temperatures at the seating levels. If there is a substantial difference (10 degress or more) and a few paddle fans stadegically located and you'ld be surprized what a difference it can make! Consider the type with lights that can dim for the added customer dining effect.