Thread: Window Unit Oversize?

Post Likes

Window Unit Oversize?

Hey guys, my room mate is looking to buy a window unit for his room and he is asking why he shouldn't over size it. I told him that it will short cycle, which will not dehumidify, drop efficiency, and the unit won't last as long. He's wondering if he just drops the tstat to like 60 or something the unit won't pull down to wouldn't that work just as well? I'm not a 100% but I think the evap will freeze if there is no off cycle but I want to give him the correct answer. I'm still a student and still learning. Any help/feedback is much appreciated. Thanks
    Justin in Michigan

Post Likes
    buy one and put it in. They're cheap enough to break.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Well I was really hoping to hear what would happen if he ran it all the time. 150 for the window unit is cheap but not for college students...

Post Likes
    Pretty safe bet that if it ever got to 60 degrees it would freeze over.....if it could only get it to 70 or so and not any further down then it might not.

If you want to convince him not to oversize show him how much the weigh for each size

Post Likes
    window units are great to keep the air moving. Don't depend on it to cool the room to set temperature.

I wouldn't recommend using it all the time either. Hook it up and only use it when your in the room to keep it from getting too stuffy and hot.

Just like anything else, it can freeze up. As far as short cycling....gonna be hard unless you can find a 10 ton window unit. But if he doesn't know any better.....then make something up.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    A little oversized on a window shaker won't hurt anything. Running all the time won't hurt it either. If he's in college and dumb enough to set the stat at 60 degrees and it freezes up - hmnn ???

Why is it that 90% of people think an air conditioner will get cooler faster if they drop the thermostat way below the desired temp? The thermostat has nothing to do with capacity. It tells the unit when to start and stop and nothing else.

Post Likes
    An air conditioner won't freeze the coil because its running 24/7.
    The coil will freeze if its temp drops below waters freezing temp, weather it runs 5 minutes or 24/7.

Post Likes
    Thanks for all your help. I'm going to tell him to go for it and get the bigger one. If it does keep short cycling he just needs to open his bedroom door and share some of the cold goodness. I'll make sure he doesn't turn the tstat that low, it was just as an example. Thanks again.

Post Likes
    Well, if you have a few minutes to read how an old mid 1970's HVAC Tech cools a large area with a small room A/C, here's the link.

It is largely about putting a good airflow heatload through the evaporator coil, & air circulation through the room(s). Airflow - airflow...
    http://www.udarrell.com/aircondition..._charting.html
    - Darrell

Post Likes

How much to look at my window unit?

I was working in the office today for a bit and a lady called up and asked me how much it would cost for us to come out and look at her window unit, I should of said just toss it and buy another, but I simply said, sorry we do not service them. Who does service them? I can't see a small window unit even being fixed most cheapos go for around xx dollars at walmart.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by castillo7411 View Post
    I was working in the office today for a bit and a lady called up and asked me how much it would cost for us to come out and look at her window unit, I should of said just toss it and buy another, but I simply said, sorry we do not service them. Who does service them? I can't see a small window unit even being fixed most cheapos go for around xx dollars at walmart.
    dummy.

take the service call. diagnose it and tell her its cheaper to buy new one.

And that you will dispose of old one properly.

then either fix it for a loaner or recover the precious R-22 and scrap the rest for recycling (gas money)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    dummy.

take the service call. diagnose it and tell her its cheaper to buy new one.

And that you will dispose of old one properly.

then either fix it for a loaner or recover the precious R-22 and scrap the rest for recycling (gas money)
    Yeah and then i could take, it fix it, and if my a/c goes out in my work truck make a hole in the side, hook it up to an inverter, and use it in my truck

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by castillo7411 View Post
    Yeah and then i could take, it fix it, and if my a/c goes out in my work truck make a hole in the side, hook it up to an inverter, and use it in my truck
    that would work too. If you have a box truck.....you could get like 10 of em and make a refrigerated box truck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in