Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Democrat's solution to high gas prices

If this don't scare you, you might be a communist.

House Democrats call for nationalization of refineries

Wednesday, Jun. 18 2008
    Urgent: House Democrats call for nationalization of refineries
    Per Pergram-Capitol Hill
    House Democrats responded to President's Bush's call for Congress to lift the moratorium on offshore drilling. This was at an on-camera press conference fed back live.
    Among other things, the Democrats called for the government to own refineries so it could better control the flow of the oil supply.
    They also reasserted that the reason the Appropriations Committee markup (where the vote on the amendment to lift the ban) was cancelled so they could focus on preparing the supplemental Iraq spending bill for tomorrow.
    At an off-camera briefing, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) said the same. And a senior Republican House Appropriations Committee aide adds that "there were multiple reasons for the postponement" including discussion on the supplemental. But the aide said there was the thought that Democrats may wish to avoid a debate today on energy amendments.
    Here are the highlights from briefing
    Rep. Maurice Hinchey (D-NY), member of the House Appropriations Committee and one of the most-ardent opponents of off-shore drilling
    We (the government) should own the refineries. Then we can control how much gets out into the market.
    Hinchey on why they postponed the Appropriations markup
    I think there aren't enough votes for the Peterson amendment. It wasn't taken up (the Interior spending bill) because of the omnibus Appropriations bill. That's the main focus of the Appropriations Committee.
    Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-IL)
    They (Republicans) have a one-trick pony approach.
    Rep. Nick Rahall (D-WV), Chairman of the Resources Committee
    You cannot drill your way out of this.
    Rep. Ed Markey (D-MA), chairman of the House Select Committee on Global Warming
    The White House has become a ventriloquist for the oil and gas energy. The finger should be directed back at them. They had plenty of opportunity to (arrange an energy policy). But they did not put an energy policy in place.
    Markey
    The governors of California and the governors of Florida are going to scream this is not the way to go.
    Hinchey
    There are a lot of arrows in the President's quiver that he decided not use.
    Hinchey
    What we do has to be in the interest of the American people. Not major corporations.
    Emanuel
    It's like when I talk to my kids. Before we're going to talk about dessert, we've got to talk about what's on your plate. I hope I'm a little more successful with the oil industry than I am with my kids.
    Markey7
    There are so many red herrings out there they might as well construct an aquarium.
    From House Majoirity Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) when I asked him if the markup was cancelled because of potential Democratic defections on the Peterson amendment..
    "No. The reason the markups aren't going through is because we're trying to get the supplemental on the floor tomorrow."
    Andfrom a Senior Republican House Appropriations Aide..
    "There were multiple reasons for the postponement including ongoing negotiations on the (supplemental) and a (Democratic) wish to avoid debate and votes on the energy amendments.

That's might Soviet of em'.
    "Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better"
    -Pat Riley

Quote Originally Posted by whec720 View Post
    That's might Soviet of em'.

Exactly.

And if Obamarama gets elected, they'll have little to stand in their way.

Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    Exactly.

Yep...the perfect storm is on the horizon. The deck is stacked, that is for sure.
    -Pat Riley

Yeah, those poor oil company executives, whatever will they do with all their billions. I hardly doubt this plan is going to get to far.

Nor should it get far.

Just look at all the other wonderful examples we have of what happens when government controls it. Like, public education, welfare, etc., etc.....
    WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by air311 View Post
    Yeah, those poor oil company executives, whatever will they do with all their billions. I hardly doubt this plan is going to get to far.
    Yeah...if only they had the ability to spend trillions, like our federal government.

Billions.....HA!!
    -Pat Riley

Quote Originally Posted by air311 View Post
    such dribble
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Why a gasoline tax holiday? Why put a windfall tax on oil co.'s? Why not just legislate the price of gas? The Gov. has done it in the past with Airlines, Elec. Co., Phone Co., etc. What's the difference?
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    We have a choice between a Democrat and a Marxist.

this thread is like all the countless others where we blow off a little steam then cower back into our corners to do nothing. The kind of threads I want to see is, "Town Hall meeting today at 5, bring your rifles and shotguns for the politician accountabilty hearing to be held during the meeting."
    The only hope I see for our country is to either raise a third party to remove the demopublicans from power or civil unrest.

Something needs to be done about the oil situation.

Of all of the viable things that could be done, nationalizing anything is the worst thing we could ever do.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Something needs to be done about the oil situation.

Of all of the viable things that could be done, nationalizing anything is the worst thing we could ever do.
    The idea of nationalizing our refineries to reduce our gas prices is hilarious. To think there are people in Congress who might be seriously thinking about this is scary. You have to think there are enough right thinking folks in Congress to block such an event.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast