Thread: Condensor Compressor Fails to Start on Hot Days

Post Likes

Condensor Compressor Fails to Start on Hot Days

I have a 2-year old 3.5 ton Carrier (Mod# 38CKC042) residential condenser unit with a SEER 10 scroll compressor. Every summer, on really hot days the compressor tries - but fails - to start; until the late afternoon. The fan for the condenser unit runs fine - and every few minutes I hear the compressor try to start (for maybe 1 second) before kicking off. The vendor added a Total-Line "Smart-Start" (Mod# P290-0805), but the problem persists. What could be the cause?

Post Likes
    Call the service company back-could be many different reasons

Post Likes
    What kind of metering device do you have?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Another Twillis problem????????????
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jjer View Post
    Call the service company back-could be many different reasons
    I called them many times while the labor was under the 1-year warranty, until I lost confidence in their ability to adequately diagnose and repair the problem (parts have a 5-year warranty). The next time I call, there will no doubt be a dispute over the repair costs, so I want to tap into the best minds in HVAC in the mean time, so that I will be more prepared before I'm asked to start paying for unneccessary repairs.

As for the question about metering, I do not know, since I'm not an HVAC repairman.

Post Likes
    Have then check the charge by more then just looking at the pressures.
    May need a hard start kit.

Post Likes
    may need a new compressor

Post Likes
    Again , there are several causes for this, I am suprised that it does not do it continually. You need to call someone, your labor warranty is up, but most companies will honor parts warranties, even if they did not originally do the install. Plus you should be having yearly maintenance done on the equipment, many things are checked at that time and would probably provide you an answer.

Post Likes
    Just out of curiosity... You say it will not start on hot days? Are you referring that it runs fine until it hits a hot temp in the evening? If so you are probably under charged and your compressor is going out in heat over load... But, there are other reasons this can happen too... Need to have someone check out the whole system... Not just one thing...

Post Likes
    No, he said it won't start during the day. But will later in the afteroon.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in