Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    rocks under FLOOR -- = obviously not retofit, unless extreme -- maybe in old house with crumbling concrete floor.

consider getting the extended warranty on dehum -- you can come & pick one up, which died after 4y --
    read the manual about dehum operation -- not work [remove moisture] at lower temps
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Quote Originally Posted by skunkiechris View Post
    If I do nothing, humidity is off the charts and it quickly begins smelling musty, affecting the first floor as well. I've been running two LG 65 pint dehumidifiers at all times, and it brings the humidity down to roughly 75%. (As shown by the humidifiers, which could be substantially off I suppose.) That's low enough to eliminate the musty smell, and is the best I've been able to come up with for now....

The basement is about 1900 sf, 8-9 ft ceilings. In addition to the exterior walls, there is a additional 4 brick thick wall that runs the center line of the basement, which also seems to wick in water from below. It also breaks up the space making it difficult to keep air fully circulating.

Waterproofing the exterior of the foundation is 100% out of the question, due to a city location and proximity of other houses/adjacent property lines.
    You should seal the basement from excess outside air. This the kind of application that pays to get a real good high efficiency dehu like a Santa Fe Advance. <60%RH is minimal %RH for basement storage. The operating cost would be 50% less and the humidity control better. After they die or you get tired of the high electric bill check out SF A. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12