Hybrid View

Best way to dehumidfy a basement?

First, thanks to everyone who assisted me with my A/C dilemma. Now, my next one. I have an unfinished basement in my home. It is appx. 450/sq ft. I am storing a bunch of stuff down there. It has four small windows. I plan of "eventually" finishing it. What would be the best way to dehumidfy this basement now and in the future. Thanks in advance...

PS: I am using a dehumidifier, but it heats the place up....

You can just run a couple of small box fans set on the floor blowing in different direction and crack one of the windows to allow fresh air into the basement. Or you can build a chute running from the floor at the bottom of one of the window up to the window and place a box fan in front sucking the air into the chute and out of the basement with a window open on the other side again to allow fresh air in. As long as there is air moving about the area it will stay realitively dry but once the room or area is closed off with no air movement you begin to get that musty smell.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman512 View Post
    First, thanks to everyone who assisted me with my A/C dilemma. Now, my next one. I have an unfinished basement in my home. It is appx. 450/sq ft. I am storing a bunch of stuff down there. It has four small windows. I plan of "eventually" finishing it. What would be the best way to dehumidfy this basement now and in the future. Thanks in advance...

PS: I am using a dehumidifier, but it heats the place up....
    The problem with basements is the wall/floor temperature is below the dew point of outside air. In addition, consider that sucking large quantities of outside humid air in, makes your entire home wet. You need only enough outside air to purge polutants and renew oxygen. The outside ventilation air must be dehumidified. So forget outside air unless you are in arrid climate.
    When you use a dehumidifier, stop dehumidifying at 50&#37;RH. Running the dehu beyond 50%rh overheats the space and waste energy. Get a %RH meter and monitor the %RH. A good 50 pint dehu should keep your space dry and not overheat. If you want to maintain <50%RH throughout your home, check out a small whole house dehu like, Sante Fe Compact or Ultra-Aire 65H. Regards TB
    Last edited by teddy bear; 06-20-2008 at 06:36 AM. Reason: missing words
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

better still, keep the moisture out of the bsmt!
    -- drains
    -- gutters & downspouts extended 10ft out
    -- sloped earth 10ft out
    -- waterproofing on outside bsmt walls --

better construction is to have egg size rock layer over geofabric next to earth-- drained, pvc under concrete floor
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Quote Originally Posted by cem-bsee View Post
    ....better construction is to have egg size rock layer over geofabric next to earth-- drained, pvc under concrete floor
    Can you elaborate? Is this under basement floor or walls? Can't picture it.

This is what I did

I have a similar problem. Although, my basement is 1000sf. I put a small dehumidifier and plumbed it to a condensate pump to take the condensate outdoors automatically though a sillcock.
    I set the RH at 50% and run the unit on lowest speed. I don't experience too much heating. It's not a glorious solution, but it works for me.

I've often thought about putting a product like Drylock on the walls, although that is as far as it's gotten. I used a product called Thoroseal in my last home and it helped quite a bit with moisture issues in the basement. Best wishes to you.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by cem-bsee View Post
    better still, keep the moisture out of the bsmt!
    -- drains
    -- gutters & downspouts extended 10ft out
    -- sloped earth 10ft out
    -- waterproofing on outside bsmt walls --

better construction is to have egg size rock layer over geofabric next to earth-- drained, pvc under concrete floor
    Couldn't agree more..

Gotta keep the water away from the house for sure.
    A drainage system around the house would help to drain the water away from the house.

Just wondering what everyone keeps the Realtive Humidity of their basement at? With my Whirlpool on Turbo Fan and the setting on Dry, it hovers around 58% - 60% RH near a far corner quite a ways from the dehumidifier. I have calibrated the meter using the salt test and it came out to 76% RH so it should be 1% off. If I put it to the Very Dry setting (The highest not including Continuous Run) It seems to run all the time even when the humidity outside is low and has trouble getting below 52%. The area is about 1200 SF and I am using a Whirlpool 75Pint. Just curious if the humidity is to high. Thanks