me and my Trane....again....

I posted a few weeks ago about my Trane XR12 outdoor model 2TWR2036A1000AB. Manufactured Oct 2005 and installed in my then new house on May 2006. This unit is driving me crazy.
    A few weeks ago I posted because the unit couldn't keep up with the high Florida heat but it seems that the unit is only designed for 90. We discussed insulation in the roof and I have been getting quotes on foil barrier and blown insulation. It has been cloudy through the peak hours so the unit has been running fine. It was running fine when I got home and was maintaining temp during this 88 degree sunny day.

I noticed it felt warmer in here and check the tstat about 45 minutes ago. The t-stat says on but the unit is not running. Turned it onto fan only and can't get the outside unit on at all. Why would this be? Tstat is set for 76, temp is 80 and climbing along with my temper.

Just climbed upstairs....the pan under the unit is FULL. I guess that means the float is working. Hubby is using a shop vac to suction the water out of the pan. I have a bad feeling about this....the coil upstairs had to be replaced last year as the original (only 1 year old) had corroded/rusted away and was leaking freon. The parts were under warranty but the labor and 3 trip charges were not. It was pretty expensive. This is the first unit we have had that is up in the attic and I am not impressed. Hey, the unit just came back on after the pan was drained. I'm thinking (praying actually) that the outside drainline is plugged. How can we check this and is this something we can "clear" ourselves?

Thanks for any help! (sorry for my rant...it gets evil around here when the a/c acts up.)
    Charlie

could be a plugged up drain line, also could be plugged filter and the unit is freezing up. filter you can check, but depending on how the drain is situated you are probably leaving that for a service call, if you put stress on the coil fitting you might break the pan and that will cost you more than a call to unplug the drain.
    You can't fix stupid

me and my Trane....again....

Could be the condensation pump safety switch isn't working. Test by filling the pump with water and see if it expells the water. Also, the pump's drain will be tested if the water is expelled. If it's clogged, force air through it with a good shopvac.

Thanks cmajerus and JerseyEd!

Oh crap...well we'll see, I guess.... Rick was already out there with the shop vac suctioning the drain line on the back of the house. There was a little resistance and then really dirty water with clumps of dark gray stuff came out. (looked like wet dust bunnies) The unit is running well and cooling already. These filters are changed every month due to my son's allergies. Where would dirt like that come from?

And what would be the signs if something was damaged by the shop vac suction? geeze....

Thanks again!
    Charlie

Sometimes dust laden air sneeks in because the return plenum with it's filter isn't sealled so well and dusty air enters around instead of through the filter or in through the section between the air handler and filter. Seal the top of the filter mount with metal tape if its pulling air.

you should be seeing water dripping out of the drain line
    since he vacumed it and got a lot of crap out you should see it draining if not then turn the system off for about ten minutes so the water will drain and prime the trap again and you will see it dripping

if it doesnt start dripping after all this you will need a service call to find out why or be ready to empty the pan again

Twilli says no way, nothing can stop a Trane
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli says no way, nothing can stop a Trane
    What about the old myth of putting a penny on the tracks?

Thanks gang!

It's dripping again now the the trap had a chance to fill. I can only hope this is it. The A/C is running and the house has already cooled to 76.

You guys are great! Do any of you per chance live in/around Lithia, Florida? I'm looking for a good a/c tech. Seriously, how do you find good, honest techs? The ones that installed this unit were hired by the builder and I called them when the unit first started having problems. It took 2 techs (2 separate visits) to figure out the upstairs unit was leaking. (the first tech didn't even go up there to check the coils or anything.) The second guy found the leak, ordered the part and took 2 trips to get it installed. (brought out the wrong coil and had to go back.) I now have a bit of a trust issue with them. I had a wonderful A/C guy but he has retired.

As for the nothing can stop a Trane... and the penny on the tracks! I'm not sure if we are the penny but it takes a lot of "coal" (money) to keep this Trane chugging!

Again everyone! Thanks!
    Charlie