Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replaced AC because of Freon Leak, New AC same problem

Post Likes

Thumbs down Replaced AC because of Freon Leak, New AC same problem

So here is the story, around a year ago my central air for my 3ed floor condo stopped giving cold air. We called for a local repair man.

He said the AC was really just too old, he could put freon in it but it would leak out again, and that the only real fix is to get a new system. It was old and was from when the building was built around 89.

So we get a new system, totaling around $XXXXXXXXXXXXfor equipment,install, warranty, service plan, etc.

3 months after, same problem no cool air. Service guy says freon was low and he fix it.

8 months later, same problem, no cool air, freon problem. Although this guy wrote "PMA" on the service sticker on the AC instead of 'No cool'

And now here we are, 6 months from the last service on Dec 07. With the same problem. I called for service appointment, have to wait a few days so there is no one to ***** out yet.
    ----------------

That's the story can someone tell me wtf is going on? Why did i spend $XXX to fix a freon problem that I'm still having?

Thanks for reading, if this is wrong forum/website sorry just a over heated Floridian here looking to vent on some forums and maybe read good information.
    Last edited by Admin; 06-18-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Post Likes
    did they replace the line set?
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    As above, Did they replace the line set.
    Do they even look for the leak to repair it.

Call and tell them you either want the leak fixed. Or your money back so you can get a system that doesn't leak.

And edit out your prices, its against the rules.
    Who knows, a "mod" could see it and edit it out. LOL

Ps: They did change both the indoor and outdoor unit right.

Post Likes
    got distracted. phone rang.

pesky customers.

Post Likes
    I know they replaced the in-apartment unit that sits above my water heater.
    I also know they replaces the big unit outside that is on the ground.

I'm not sure what a line set is. I'm guessing it has something to do with connecting the two units? I'm not really sure, but I didn't see them doing anything like that. Not that I would really know what it looks like

Post Likes
    The line set is the copper lines that connects the 2 units.

Post Likes
    seems pretty appearant that a pressure test was not done after brazing new system.

So now the more important questions.

On top of....did they do leak search?
    Is the system sized properly?
    Is the fan speed correct?
    Is the ductwork sized properly?
    Are your filters clean?
    Are your coils clean?
    Was superheat and subcooling measurements taken?

The list goes on. There is a number of measurements that must be taken to see the full picture of what might be going on.

Sounds like you hired a sub-par performing contractor. I would call them and explain in very easy terms that if your system is not up and running CORRECTLY by Friday afternoon that you want the enitre system removed and want a full refund. That at least gives them 48 hours to diagnose, and fix the real problem. Not just put another band aid on it and gimp it along until your warranty runs out.

That may get their attention.

Just curious....could you take some pics and post em. We like to see and critique others work
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The line set is the copper lines that connects the 2 units.
    well there would have to have been 3 stories worth of copper, and I know I did not see them doing that. SO I'm going to say they did not. Are they suppose to? is that part of a regular installation?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rustymetal View Post
    well there would have to have been 3 stories worth of copper, and I know I did not see them doing that. SO I'm going to say they did not. Are they suppose to? is that part of a regular installation?
    Its not required at all times. It needed to be checked for proper sizing and also that there aren't any LEAKS!!!!!

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    No, its not done on every change out.

Post Likes
    Guess we found the likely leak location.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Guess we found the likely leak location.
    3 stories.......I bet its between story 2 and 3.

Post Likes
    Sounds like new lineset down the outside of the building time!

Post Likes
    Twilli says sloppy installation procedures or they would have found the leak.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Still may not be in the lineset. Lineset leaks are pretty rare since the copper is one piece. They should look at the places where they brazed the copper (i.e. joints, at unit, etc.). They may have messed up the schraeder core/valve while brazing or not tightened it. Have them back to do it right. They can isolate the leak with soap bubbles.

Post Likes
    Thanks for you help guys. At least I know the problem better then my service man now, but I won't let him know that.

Someone said picture, I'm all about the proof! Tell me how these guys did for not fixing my problem..... Looking back, I ended up selecting these guys because they were the first ones I found in the phone book... I really should have investigated much further and did some research.

http://s3.supload.com/free/AC_APT.JPG/view/

http://s3.supload.com/free/AC_APT2.JPG/view/

http://s3.supload.com/free/AC_outside.JPG/view/

http://s3.supload.com/free/AC_outside2.JPG/view/

Post Likes
    got enough leaves and tape????

buried lineset. They really need to find that leak in case its in the ground and contaminating your system.

Post Likes
    Yeah, so the big black tapped up mess is the line set? !?! its just like that above the AC in house like that, you can't see in the picture because it is really crampt between the ceiling but its just a taped mess.

I called and got a guy out here today after a little harassment.

Post Likes
    Need more pics.

Get some good ones of the coils

and get a wider shot of the outdoor units from multiple angles so we can see the rest of the clan sittin there with yours.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    and get a wider shot of the outdoor units from multiple angles so we can see the rest of the clan sittin there with yours.
    And the make of the current unit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in