Thread: Load Cal question??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Load Cal question??

I have a question about load cals. My installer dropped off a heat load cal to my wife this morning. Is there a cooling cal that should have been done as well? I have not even seen the paper yet. My installer keeps telling me it's ok for my system to run 5 minutes on and 5 off. Or sometimes even less. Thanks for any help. I'm starting to get really frustrated with all of this.

Post Likes
    The heat gain is the cooling load.

Post Likes
    Thanks. I will check all the paper work when I get home. So do they do a load for heating a house and what would that be called? Thanks

Post Likes
    Heat loss.

Post Likes
    So they should do one for both? Also would it be possible to need a 3 ton ac system and a 4 ton furnace? Or could that even happen?

Post Likes
    Yes, that can happen.

Bet the load calc says you need 3 tons.

Post Likes
    The load calc came out to 3.75 tons. So is this 4 ton to big or just a little oversized? Thanks again for all the info.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rickytz7111 View Post
    I have a question about load calcs. My installer dropped off a heat load calc to my wife this morning. Is there a cooling calc that should have been done as well? I have not even seen the paper yet. My installer keeps telling me it's ok for my system to run 5 minutes on and 5 off. Or sometimes even less. Thanks for any help. I'm starting to get really frustrated with all of this.
    I don't want any of my A/C equipment, "on 5 & off 5 minutes," it takes 5 to 7 minutes to get to decent cooling. The heat-gain would appear excessive if it only stays off for 5 minutes. Is a diffuser blowing at the t-stat? (In my book, that equipment is oversized.)

At normal room temp operation (76 down to 74-F) , I would use a digital adjustable t-stat & let the room temp vary a couple degrees within a cycle.

You will save on equipment wear, & by using a 20" fan to circulate the air & at 50% or less RH you will be comfortable at say, 77 to 75-F.
    - Darrell
    Last edited by udarrell; 06-19-2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: blowing on t-stat, not blower

Post Likes
    I'm sorry let me restate something. Since I have turned my cooling droop function off and turned my fan to auto instead on running cont. My run times are still kind of short 5-15 minutes being the longest and with long off time now. Last night at 9 pm it ran for 5 minutes then off for almost 1 hour. We keep our stat at 78 and 79 degrees. That is one of the reasons why the installer said it was coming on for such a short time and it was satisfying the stat was it only had to cool to barley below outside temp. Humidity is great in the house.

Post Likes
    If your satisfied, then ok.

If my A/C runs for less then 10 minutes when its 75 outside, something is wrong.

Post Likes
    Beenthere,

I wouldn't say that i'm satisfied. I just want my system to run like it's suppose to. The installer is telling me that everything is fine with the system. I'm sure that he doesn't want to have to take this one out and put a 4 ton in the house. If my outdoor temp was 75 degrees my ac system wouldn't come on at all. That is what the temp was here last night and it never came on. What do you keep your stat set at? I keep mine at 78-79 degrees.

Post Likes
    72. And the other day when it was 69 degrees outside, it kicked on and ran for more then 5 minutes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in