Thread: Need some advice

Post Likes

Unhappy Need some advice

As a previous home remodeling contractor, and being exposed to the trades, I may come off a tad bit jaded, but I feel justifiably so.
    Anyway, I recently got married (at 57), and 'inhereted' the issues of my new wifes home she has had for over 30 years.
    The furnace is 1973 version, the AC is 19 years old.
    Both work, but not very efficient.
    Anyway, trying to be as frugal as possible, put in the most efficient system, most trouble free, etc., she contacted her contractor of last 20 years for an estimate.
    We have a 1 story ranch, probably 1500 sq. ft +, (additions jutting off the back, etc.), and the existing AC compressor is 2-1/2 tons. It was there before the additions. Needs to be 3 ton now, so I'm told, and I'd assume because of it being on all the time to keep it cool.
    Certain days, it works nice, other days, stays on 24 x 7 to fight to keep the temp at 74-75 degrees.
    I replace various parts on the furnace last year, but simple cut and dry, it's time to replace.
    The contractor suggested a Carrier unit. I was kinda set on a 2 stage unit, he told me Carrier only made 3 ton and up (2 stage). I called Carrier, they tell me they carry 2, 3 , 4 & 5 ton units in the Infinity line. He suggested a 3 ton comfort series, no 2 stage.

So, because he lied, should I confront him?

Also, I want top shelf performance, efficient heating and cooling, low energy costs, etc. Am I foolish to go with the Carrier, or the 2 stage unit? What are my other options to be correct in choosing the proper unit?

Should I consider a heat pump?

Also, he wants an additional XXXXX to install the air handler in the attic (all the air vents are forced air onthe floor now).

Please...HELP! What to do.
    Last edited by ARPA; 06-18-2008 at 10:10 PM.

Post Likes
    Carrier might make those units but ,they might not be available in your area. Could be a special order,I don't know. Edit out the price ,or someone else will.

Post Likes

Wink Follow-up

Available in my area? I think that is a bunch of bull. IF I called Carrier, and they tell me I can get in my area, then as far as I'm concerned, it's about the dealer wanting to move HIS inventory, and not accommodate the consumer.

Irregardless, it's not about all that, that was a statement, of sorts, and the bulk of my inquiry was as stated in the original question.

Protecting other dealers may be your "professional" duty (as a 'Professional' member), but screwing the consumer leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Remember, I dealt with "the trades" for close to 20 years, I "know" how the 'system' works.

I'm still looking here within these walls of this forum for advice, opinions and direction, not your supposedly/seemingly cover you buddy's butt answer.

As far as the $$ goes, wasn't my intention to post dollar amounts, have someone edit it out.....but for future reference, if I wanted to make that very same example, showing the difference in cost between X and Y, how then do you suggest it be posted here to meet the 'rules' then?

Post Likes
    Good Luck. You have a very sour attitude,you won't even get "professional" insult from me .

Post Likes
    But Twilli is open to professional insults
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    But Twilli is open to professional insults
    OK .Let me think on it for a while.Get back to you later. In the pro section.

Post Likes
    If you want 2-stage and he will not offer it I would just call someone else. Lennox, Trane and other brands offer 2-stage equipment. As far as the Carrier is concerned he may have a hard time on the 2 ton size. I have experienced delays in getting certain sizes of equipment. It should not be important though because you stated you needed a 3 ton which it sounds like he said he could get 3 ton and up. Just remember that 2 -stage equipment is the top of the line and the price normally shows it.

Post Likes
    You want top shelf performance, but want to be frugal...

Then you come on here and bust on members of this forum...

and..
    As far as the $$ goes, wasn't my intention to post dollar amounts, have someone edit it out.....but for future reference, if I wanted to make that very same example, showing the difference in cost between X and Y, how then do you suggest it be posted here to meet the 'rules' then?

You can't. That is not what this forum is about.

Post Likes
    Coleman 2stage
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Coleman 2stage
    Naaaaaaa, ya gotta change the mantels in those twice a year!

Post Likes
    he was the crook thats why he is as he stated "previous home remodeling contractor". He says he knows the system and how it works. He means his system of how it worked. Not everyone is dishonest like you my friend. Good luck and I feel sorry for the next a/c contractor that has to work with you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by guruuno View Post

Protecting other dealers may be your "professional" duty (as a 'Professional' member), but screwing the consumer leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Remember, I dealt with "the trades" for close to 20 years, I "know" how the 'system' works.

I'm still looking here within these walls of this forum for advice, opinions and direction, not your supposedly/seemingly cover you buddy's butt answer.
    Why do you assume that? These guys have no "professional duty to protect other dealers", there's no "conspiracy" going on here or a need to cover anyone else's butt. You come asking for advice yet you treat these pros disrespectfully. Good luck getting good advice.

There is a wealth of information here. Do a search.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by guruuno View Post

Great...ive been in hvac for 8 years now and no one told me there was a "system" I feel so left out...

Grurrno, you would be suprised at how many carrier dealers are not familiar with the entire carrier line and what is available. I went on a sales call for a package unit and had the same thing happen to me. I honestly didnt know that the unit the customer wanted was available. And i really felt dumb that i didnt know. But the area im in does very little with package units. Could have been an honest mistake. My advice would be to try and have better communication with the contractor and not assume that he is trying to stick you. It is hard to know every unit and every option in every size that a manufacturer offers. Even worse if the dealer/contractor offer more than one brand of equipment.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jjer View Post
    It should not be important though because you stated you needed a 3 ton which it sounds like he said he could get 3 ton and up.
    That's what I read.

Post Likes
    seems to me that after 20 + yrs anyone that treated there subs worth anything would have some contacts.

Post Likes
    Why would you want to put your cooling duct work in a HOT attic.

That contractor may have made an honest mistake, I don't know because I wasn't there.

If you don't rust him, call someone else.

If I lost faith in my auto mechanic, I would take my car somewhere else.

No fuss, no muss.

Post Likes

Sheesh

Wow. 1st, I was probably the most honest, trustworthy contractor there was. 2nd, when my "subs" thought they would leave to try to start their own gig, and they did from time to time over the years, 9 out of ten times they were back, if not looking for work, looking for tools, equipment, money, help, etc., OR for their old job back, and they sometimes got it, unless they were losers to begin with (most...and I mean most, like say 65% +, of 'tradespeople' who depend on economy, weather, help, etc., are either alcoholic, drug addicts, criminals and/or thieves). Now don't get all bent out of shape here, this is my observation and involvement of 20 years in a successful business speaking here. I had most of my subs for well over 15 years!! AND the ONLY reason to get OUT OF THE BIZ is because of cheap, uninsured, under the table & illegal competition! My customers wanted the very best workmanship, so they hired me. AND I got top dollar and TONS of referrals! I'm not on a defensive rampage here, but I just wasn't one of those druggie roofers.

20 years of business says something in itself. Most of the "subs" who think they can do their own 'gig' usually fail in the first year or 2, for varios reason. Education my man.

But that's not what this is about, is it? All I want to find out is info about my questions. The very FIRST answer was from a member of the "Professional" forum, hence my reply.

Obviously, some who answered me here, with the proper method of reply, those guys "get it"....you others, get a life.

Thanking all for the help.....So

I was initally leaning towards a Lennox or Trane, but this guy said Carrier is the best.

Looking at all things to be considered, and without too much oompha, what is considered the best, is it foolish for a 2 stage for a small house, is it just better to get a SEER rating of 14-16 or go for the highest......

Once again, anticipating great replies....

Post Likes
    You should get the most efficient system you can afford.

As far as brand.....it doesn't really matter. What matters is the correct installation.

A properly installed POS will always out-perform a POS install on a quality system.

Get the picture? I prefer Trane. I am Tranewashed. But I prefer Trane for totally different reasons than you do.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in